PDA

View Full Version : Covers Again, sorry about that

boatnut
11-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I did try the search routine and read through miles of threads on covers--but just want to check the latest with everyone. I want a Sunbrella cover that is not overly tight (easy to put on and off). I will not use it for trailering but primarily on my boat lift which will allow tieing the cover from side to side with a strap/line that runs under the boat. It is important that the sides and the transom are covered down to the water line at least -- the boat sits with the bottom and entire drive out of the water. I am after sun and rain protection. My conclusion after going the search route is that I should get a custom cover made ---- but I want to check and see if anyone has a source for a factory made cover that truly covers the entire boat. Thanks, Ed

boatnut
11-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Sorry for forgetting to say in the previous post that the cover is for a 1997 Classic with windshield (and dark gelcoat on the sides of course).

Donzigo
11-05-2007, 07:38 AM
The type of cover you are looking for (Sunbrella) is typically produced by a small boat upholstry shop in your area. There has to be one within 50 miles of whereever you are, if it's in a metro area. These covers are best when the boat goes to the shop or you must find someone who comes to your boat, which might cost a little more for the extra time involved. You say that you want a loose cover; but, my guess is you probably want a fairly form fitting cover that ties loosely or tightly. A loose cover will come off with just a little wind. I have two covers that fit all the way to the waterline, the one for my 33-ft Donzi that cost $1,600 & the one for the 16 Scout was $900. That might sound expensive to you; but, these covers will last around 10 years, with a re-stitch for the thread at three year intervals, which usually costs about $150. I've had Sunbrealla all of my boats (15 so far) and it's the best thing going. I wouldn't even consider anything else. If you send me an email, I'll send you a picture of both.

Good luck.

BigGrizzly
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
. There is another option. In overton's there is a company that does covers in Sunbrella. Give them a call. if sunbrella is not in the price they also have a nice cover I use for the Corsican that is generic in their catalog with a U19 posed by it for around $237. I have had it for several years

Brambo
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I bought a Taylor Made Custom http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/ boat cover this spring from http://www.go2marine.com/. The custom ones are made at the factory from a template of your boat. It fits like a glove - but only goes a couple of inches below the rub rail. I really like that the windsheld has extra support. I got the Hot Shot fabric & it does not leak a drop!!!

ky-donzi
11-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Hello. I have a custom cover for my boat, It is awesome. I use it anytime my boat is not in the water. It is made of heavy material, and custom fit for my boat, 18ft classic with a windshield. The company was out of NH i believe, that is where my boat lived its first life. If you like I will get you there name and number.

RickR
11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
This is Overton's Sunbrella, Charcoal, Tweed, Custom for the 22. W/ optional strap kit.
Great cover, stiching is not great cosmetically but has held up like new for 6 years.
The color looks good but next time I will go with a lighter color.

boatnut
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I have used the factory covers on all my Donzi's and other boats for many years and they have been the best bang for the buck and worked well. However I now have a dock and a boat lift and a beautiful 22 with red gelcoat (I'm not complaining). That means I need to cover all the sides and transom as others have also discussed. The factory covers have to be modified to do this. To ensure I get what I need and that it is easy to install and remove I have decided to go the custom route (as some have suggested). I have a shop close to me that is doing the work and he came and checked out the boat when on the lift to understand the access for installation etc. When I get the final product I'll post a few pics. Thanks again, Ed

vonkamp
11-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I had a custom Sunbrella cover made for my fishing boat about 8 years ago and its still in use today allbeit a little faded. When the time comes I will have one made for the 18 as well. :)

osur866
11-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Ditto to Vonkamp, I had a custom one made for my 18 that covers all of the colored sides and even has flaps that come down the back, from the back the only thing you see is the outdrive, pretty cool, a good shop will make anything you want as long as you don't care about what the cost is, I think this one was around 500-600 pricey but well worth not having faded sides and back, mine sits on a covered lift all summer long as well, just put it away for the winter last weekend don't think I have any pics of the boat with the cover on, I'll check. Just a suggestion have the shop that makes the cover put the ties or strings open in the front so you can tie it from the front, many shops will put the ties in the back for some reason very hard to tie on a lift IMO. Steve