PDA

View Full Version : $ for new skeg on a bravo

yeller
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been thinking about replacing the skeg on my bravo. Has anyone had this done and/or know what the approximate cost might be?

After 18yrs of boating with a jet drive, I'm having a bit of difficulty in remembering I need alot more water now. :bonk::biggrin.:

MOP
11-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I think it depends on who does it, the local welder by me $150.

Donziweasel
11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
get a slip on. they are ceap, strong, and a polished one looks great. plus, they can be replaced easy.

LKSD
11-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I agree it depends on who does it we just did one. The slip ons are pretty cheap & work ok if you have a lot of skeg left. If not then you need to weld on.. Depending on how crazy you go & which way you repair it, you can have anywhere between about a 1/2hr to a couple hours into repairing it.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Donziweasel
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I broke a skeg about 7 years ago ( I swear that rock wasn't there a second ago.:eek!:) The slip on saved me a lot of big bucks and time. I beach my boat a lot and it held up fine. Mine was aluminum I think and it was polished with a nice SS finish. Looked really good.

MOP
11-02-2007, 07:55 AM
They do look good!! And deals can be found if you poke around.

http://www.skeggardmarine.com/

Phil

faverod
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I was looking at these for my Bravo 3 drive but since it's made of Stainless Steel won't this just make any kind of electrolysis worse for a boat that is kept in the water?

MOP
11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I was looking at these for my Bravo 3 drive but since it's made of Stainless Steel won't this just make any kind of electrolysis worse for a boat that is kept in the water?

You may well have a point when it comes to boats that are docked instead of being trailered, I have installed a few and did check a few with a VOM for continuity. They showed of having a good electrical bond so who knows!

Phil

Donziweasel
11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
While it has been a while, I swear mine was heavy aluminum, but I might be wrong.

yeller
11-03-2007, 02:13 PM
That all helps. Thanks.
I'd never knew of the slip on ones. Price is reasonable. They claim no performance loss, but I find that hard to believe. Wouldn't there be some speed loss due to the skeg being thicker than stock?

DonziJon
11-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I have an opinion (educated) on "Screw On SS Skegs". Assuming you have a clean..well painted skeg....before you "whack" it on something, ...drilling holes in the cast aluminum skeg, and attaching a SS skeg, will only lead to "accelerated" corrosion. Your choice. :nilly:

DonziJon
11-03-2007, 06:14 PM
My local Mercruiser dealer has a cardboard box full of blank skegs under the bench. Just welds them on, grinds them back, paints, and that's it. The big question..for each individual lower gear case is....does the case have to be emptied of its contents? Too much heat from the welding ..some welder persons may not be as "good" (have the skill) as others and this extra heat "may" have a negative effect on the contents (seals) of the case if the parts are not removed. IT"S A JUDGEMENT Call. :bonk:

mrfixxall
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
My local Mercruiser dealer has a cardboard box full of blank skegs under the bench. Just welds them on, grinds them back, paints, and that's it. The big question..for each individual lower gear case is....does the case have to be emptied of its contents? Too much heat from the welding ..some welder persons may not be as "good" (have the skill) as others and this extra heat "may" have a negative effect on the contents (seals) of the case if the parts are not removed. IT"S A JUDGEMENT Call. :bonk:

When i do them i take all the guts out,thats the proper way of doing it...when you weld alunimum you have to use a/c current and you have to get the alunimum real hot to get the alunimum to puddle the get the proper penetration which in return will melt the lower output shaft seal..

mrfixxall
11-03-2007, 11:02 PM
I have an opinion (educated) on "Screw On SS Skegs". Assuming you have a clean..well painted skeg....before you "whack" it on something, ...drilling holes in the cast aluminum skeg, and attaching a SS skeg, will only lead to "accelerated" corrosion. Your choice. :nilly:

you can also glue them on with 5200 thet way the corrosion wont get into the alunimum...gkued many on with great success

RedDog
11-04-2007, 08:14 AM
I had one welded on for around $75 on my former King Cobra

DonziJon
11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
you can also glue them on with 5200 thet way the corrosion wont get into the alunimum...gkued many on with great success

I thought about the glue thing after I posted last night... except I first thought silicone rubber. As long as the SS is electrically "isolated" from the aluminum by the seal, I think that would work. In fact I wondered if using some kind of seal along with the screws was part of the normal procedure when installing the SS skeg.