PDA

View Full Version : Handling issue

markr
10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
I have a 1967 16 foot ski sporter with a 275 Volvo outdrive that dangerously darts drastically to the starboard side if you come down off the throttle too fast. Does anyone know why it's doing that? Thanks.

Gearhead99
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Agree with Madpoodle.

Have run into LOTS of Volvo's with slop in the helmet and tiller area/connections. Torque hold it one way and when you chop the throttle and the hull gets wet the drive goes where it wants too.

I'm sure it will give you pucker power on your seat !!!

Formula Jr
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
They have the same problem in Australia, but they turn to port!

Seriously,

1. Sit at helm and hold steering wheel fixed at center.

2. Have someone push and pull on drive side to side.

3. Note amount of lateral movement.

then get back to us....

:nilly:

vonkamp
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM
They have the same problem in Australia, but they turn to port!
Seriously,
1. Sit at helm and hold steering wheel fixed at center.
2. Have someone push and pull on drive side to side.
3. Note amount of lateral movement.
then get back to us....
:nilly:

Even after you replace those cheezy plastic/nylon bushings in the helmet and steering fork it's still going to have substantial lateral play although it will help. I am going to machine some bushings to closer tolerances for mine. If that does not work, i'll go with the external hydraulic steering (probably the ultimate fix). :yes:

Sweet little 16
10-31-2007, 09:23 PM
if there is excessive slop or play in the cable, tiller, or helmet other bad handling will be present, excessive torque steer, high rpm flightyness or pulling when under way will happen, darting as you call it to one side when re-entering the water after some air when pushing it

if it ONLY does it when power is removed quickly it is all the prop causing it

Sweet little 16
11-01-2007, 06:59 AM
some further thoughts a 275 is not original factory for a 67, it is possible you could have an older transom housing volvo 200or a 250 and a newer drive leg the volvo stuff is pretty interchangeable but some of the stuff is a little different like the helmet connections the tiller arms even the reverse locking latch is different and if that is loose it can cause some quirks so there might be some room for play in those type of connections
some pictures and some more info would help type of prop , does it have any other handling quirks?? if it doesn't and it is only when you chop power it is the prop it is like the difference of slamming on the brakes or using a little brakes and downshifting in a car one way is definetly more controlled a prop with high slip will be like the slamming on the brakes and a prop with low slip will be like downshifting if it has a good byte on the water when going fast as it slows down it doesn't give up that bite and you will want to give biggrizzly here a call he has props that bite ( in a good way ;) )

MOP
11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
If you find the drive to be fairly tight you must also realize that "ALL" single screw I/O's will pull quite hard to one side or the other depending on propeller rotation when the throttle is cut quickly at speed. What causes this is the sudden reversing of the propeller torque. I would venture a guess that each and everyone of us have experienced this, the greater the propeller pitch the more severe the pull. I had a 16 with a 23" prop it would roll up on its ear when I chopped the throttle! It is not quite as bad on my 22, also in my case it is a little worse with a three bladed prop then a four blade not sure why!

Phil

Sweet little 16
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
If you find the drive to be fairly tight you must also realize that "ALL" single screw I/O's will pull quite hard to one side or the other depending on propeller rotation when the throttle is cut quickly at speed. What causes this is the sudden reversing of the propeller torque. I would venture a guess that each and everyone of us have experienced this, the greater the propeller pitch the more severe the pull. I had a 16 with a 23" prop it would roll up on its ear when I chopped the throttle! It is not quite as bad on my 22, also in my case it is a little worse with a three bladed prop then a four blade not sure why!

Phil

the 16 all ways did this and it would be unnerving especially when learning to drive it sorry I am not a fearless man but a sissy mary girly girl and when I thought things were getting out of control my first reaction was to pull back on the throttle and the boat would get loose or dive to one side
the 16 doesn't do it now the solas prop on the boat when you pull back quick on the throttle it is like you deployed a drogue or parachute like it has brakes
I am also learning with this prop that pulling back is not my only choice but staying steading with the throttle or even excelerating to conquer that bigger wake or swell as the prop makes the boat handle more consistantly and doesn't get bent out of shape

so i disagree with the all single i/o deep vees do it i would agree that all single i/o deep vees running less efficient props do it! put the old prop back on the 16 does it put the solas on it doesn't do it

BigGrizzly
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
There are many factors. Most is actually the cable stgeering then the helmet and The prop too. I have done all the above including making bushings the new squat tiller arm going from the std cable to rack steering and double cable. I now have internal hydraulic with Teleflex power assist, it is the best so far, tremendously improved, but external will be the best. Props also seem to make a big difference also.