PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my elk!

Donziweasel
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Finally!:) I am also typing with both hands again (notice the capital letters!:bonk:) So, Friday night I got to camp a little early and no one else was there. I unloaded the horses and decided to go for a ride in my 6 wheel military rig to glass (use binoculars) some ridges and bowls right before dusk. Hopeing to find some elk feeding so Boo Boo and I would know where to find them in the morning on horse, I headed up to an area called Bacon Ridge. Halfway up, I spotted 2 cow elk about 350 yards away (bull season for that area closed on the 25th, so a cow is all I could shoot anyway). Although I am not oppossed to hunting from vehicles, it is the first time I have ever been within range of anything from one. I had only two days left in camp and made the decision to go ahead and take one. Not much else too it, hit it on first shot and all was good.

Unfortunalty, the rest of the weekend was weak. Boo Boo and I rode hard, got close, but never close enough for her to take a shot. Pulled camp on Sunday. All is not lost though. The 3 acres Boo Boo and I bought backs up to a great elk hunting area and that particular area doesn't close until Nov 11. Boo Boo and I are going to ride this weekend up there and see if we can get her a bull.

If anyone is interested in applying for an out of state permit in our area for next year, let me know and I will fax an application. Cuda, tell Debbie to get her plane ticket to Wyoming ready for next October! Rootsy, what are you and Patti doing next October?:wink: Don, how about it? Applications have to be in by the end of January and you find out if you drew by end of February. You can apply for moose, buffalo, elk, deer, antelope and lion. I would love to take some of you hunting.:)

MOP
10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Excellent I was wondering how your "PAW" was doing!!! Good to hear you so chipper!!!

Phil

Cuda
10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Contratulations! Unless things turn around financially, we would have to save up to go to Daytona. :(

On a brighter note, Debbie's dad called yesterday, and wants us to come there the weekend after next, to hunt on that 1100 acres of private land right on the Suwannee River for the opening of gun season. Debbie will probably target deer, but I love hunting hogs. I hope to get that giant boar I missed last year. He said Debbie's daugher saw that hog Saturday evening, but she knew if she shot my hog, I'd have to mount her head on my wall instead!

Debbie and her daughter, Erica, at my place on my 50th birthday.

DonCig
10-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Finally!:) I am also typing with both hands again (notice the capital letters!:bonk:) So, Friday night I got to camp a little early and no one else was there. I unloaded the horses and decided to go for a ride in my 6 wheel military rig to glass (use binoculars) some ridges and bowls right before dusk. Hopeing to find some elk feeding so Boo Boo and I would know where to find them in the morning on horse, I headed up to an area called Bacon Ridge. Halfway up, I spotted 2 cow elk about 350 yards away (bull season for that area closed on the 25th, so a cow is all I could shoot anyway). Although I am not oppossed to hunting from vehicles, it is the first time I have ever been within range of anything from one. I had only two days left in camp and made the decision to go ahead and take one. Not much else too it, hit it on first shot and all was good.
Unfortunalty, the rest of the weekend was weak. Boo Boo and I rode hard, got close, but never close enough for her to take a shot. Pulled camp on Sunday. All is not lost though. The 3 acres Boo Boo and I bought backs up to a great elk hunting area and that particular area doesn't close until Nov 11. Boo Boo and I are going to ride this weekend up there and see if we can get her a bull.
If anyone is interested in applying for an out of state permit in our area for next year, let me know and I will fax an application. Cuda, tell Debbie to get her plane ticket to Wyoming ready for next October! Rootsy, what are you and Patti doing next October?:wink: Don, how about it? Applications have to be in by the end of January and you find out if you drew by end of February. You can apply for moose, buffalo, elk, deer, antelope and lion. I would love to take some of you hunting.:)

I am in for next year!
Don

Donziweasel
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Phil. Definetly healing nicely and I shot my rifle with the hurt hand. held up nice.

Cuda, damn, I would love to hunt boar. Never shot one, but a freind gave me some wild boar once. Made boar and moose chilli for the superbowl a few years back. Made sure I had plenty of toilet paper!:)

Don, will have your applications ready when you come visit in Dec. Good to hear from you and Boo Boo and I are excited your coming to visit. Can't wait to finally meet you, your girlfreind and son. We'll have a good time for sure.:wink: