PDA

View Full Version : V-8 Outboard

DonziJon
10-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Check this out ..some of you inboard motorheads may have missed this item introduced this summer: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx

A Four Stroke V-8 Outboard. 350HP.

chappy
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Jon, nice to see you. I only heard about that motor. Someone told me it was heavy, I bet that 800+ pound dry weight will keep a hull in the water almost as good as an i/o.

Rich

ChromeGorilla
10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Check this out ..some of you inboard motorheads may have missed this item introduced this summer: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx
A Four Stroke V-8 Outboard. 350HP.

Awww...cmon.... give us more credit than that...... I took this picture in FEB at the motors introduction. :D

Oops..... how'd that last pic get in there....:nilly::wink:

tiger lily
10-28-2007, 01:26 AM
im still a fan of the old outboards, 2stroke carbs, so simple

Mac
10-28-2007, 08:41 AM
im still a fan of the old outboards, 2stroke carbs, so simple

Simple but inefficient, 25% unburned fuel going out the exhaust, the E-Tec is the closest to the old simple 2 strokes but with a efficient fuel system.

Sweet little 16
10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
hmmm 800lbs and 350 hp v8 screaming eggbeater or a 800lbs 700 hp v-10 thunder maker hmmmmm decisions decisions :confused:

ChromeGorilla
10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
hmmm 800lbs and 350 hp v8 screaming eggbeater or a 800lbs 700 hp v-10 thunder maker hmmmmm decisions decisions :confused:

LOl...that Ilmor costs abouut twice as much.....:yes:

Sweet little 16
10-28-2007, 11:58 AM
ummm Chrome stay with me here
that was my point it takes 2 eggbeaters and 1600 lbs to make the hp for the same money oh well you do the math ;) it's one of those 2 for 1 things

DonziJon
10-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I was thinkin it would be nice for Bass Fishing. Maybe on a 19 footer. :cool!:
It weighs 804 pounds. The basic motor is around $26K.. and then you add instruments and rigging for maybe another $3-4K depending on the boat. OK: So, maybe you get a sponsor.. and then go ketch some fish.

The dealer said he would work with me on the total package including a boat.. which might be hard to find.... BUT "It could be done" for maybe around $80K. Does that sound about right? :nilly: I'd prolly need to get somebody to teach me how to fish cause I never really got into fishing. :bonk:

WingWing
10-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Simple but inefficient, 25% unburned fuel going out the exhaust, the E-Tec is the closest to the old simple 2 strokes but with a efficient fuel system.

Not trying to start a fight but don't beleive everyting you see on Saturday morning infomercials. The Etech has been spanked time after time in head to head comparisons by the merc optimax. BWB is the only magazine that has done independent head to head tests with merc, BRP and yamaha. After a couple spankings, BRP decided to no show after committing to the last one.

Now the just announced 250 and upcoming 300etech's are going to make outboards real interesting (closer to 275hp and who knows for the 300 but more than 300hp). Rev limiters are higher, and from what I am hearing about a couple that have been "slipped out the back door" for real world testing, they are kicking buts and taking names. Nothing against the Etechs, they are great motors, but right now, not the top, that belongs to mercury when tested head to head on like hulls, set up by the motor makers techs. Fuel economy, acceleration, top speed (although merc has the advantage with their gearcase design). Who do you think BRP tests the 2 stroke Etech against the 4stroke verado for their infomercial anyway (rather than the apples to apples optimax?)

As for the 820+lb yamaha(dry):eek!::eek!: Probably work well on heavy center-consoles that would have rigged with twins, but that is a HUGE motor to hang off the back of a boat.

Mac
10-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Not trying to start a fight but don't beleive everyting you see on Saturday morning infomercials. The Etech has been spanked time after time in head to head comparisons by the merc optimax. BWB is the only magazine that has done independent head to head tests with merc, BRP and yamaha. After a couple spankings, BRP decided to no show after committing to the last one.
Now the just announced 250 and upcoming 300etech's are going to make outboards real interesting (closer to 275hp and who knows for the 300 but more than 300hp). Rev limiters are higher, and from what I am hearing about a couple that have been "slipped out the back door" for real world testing, they are kicking buts and taking names. Nothing against the Etechs, they are great motors, but right now, not the top, that belongs to mercury when tested head to head on like hulls, set up by the motor makers techs. Fuel economy, acceleration, top speed (although merc has the advantage with their gearcase design). Who do you think BRP tests the 2 stroke Etech against the 4stroke verado for their infomercial anyway (rather than the apples to apples optimax?)
As for the 820+lb yamaha(dry):eek!::eek!: Probably work well on heavy center-consoles that would have rigged with twins, but that is a HUGE motor to hang off the back of a boat.

I was only referring to the simplicity of the motor, not performance, btw, it is E-Tec not etech, I would buy a Suzuki or Yamaha 4 stroke if I needed an engine right now.