PDA

View Full Version : Battery move

ky-donzi
10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a 18 classic and the battery is currently under the rear seat. On other 18 if seen the battery located in the engine compartment on top of those removable plastic caps. I like this mounting spot better, it would give me more room for life vests. Are there any disavantages to mounting the battery there? 2nd what are those two removable plastic caps for?

Ranman
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
The caps are access holes so you can get to the engine mount bolts. Mount your battery in a nixe battery box in front of the caps just behind the firewall. If you keep a clean dry bilge, you will have no issues with your battery there. I run a dual battery system with on on each side.

ky-donzi
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Do you mean in the center of the bilge? Or to one side on the raised area.... I don't think that there will be room due to the harmoic balancer. I was planing to mount on that raised area where the access hole is but as close to the center of the boat as possible.

Ranman
10-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you mean in the center of the bilge? Or to one side on the raised area.... I don't think that there will be room due to the harmoic balancer. I was planing to mount on that raised area where the access hole is but as close to the center of the boat as possible.

You are correct. There is a "shelf on each side of the motor (late model classics). Mount the battery on the shelf in front of the acess cover and behind the firewall.

Here's a pretty good shot of my dual battery setup. You can see the tray base locations and wiring to the center perko switch. Good luck.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROakBilgeClean02.jpg

ky-donzi
10-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Pismo
10-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Remove the plastic caps and leave them off. Ventilation is key. That trapped, wet, warm air under those caps is rot waiting to happen.

mrfixxall
10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Remove the plastic caps and leave them off. Ventilation is key. That trapped, wet, warm air under those caps is rot waiting to happen.

or drill some holes in the caps helps too!