PDA

View Full Version : Draining fuel from the tank, Electric Fuel Pump???

TheFees
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I have about 10 gallons of fuel in my tank, and it is old, not bad yet, just old as in 2 years old. (It won't last through the winter) I wanted to drain it out. I tried disconnecting the fuel line from off of the pump on the side of the motor, but could not get a siphon situation going. So I was looking for an inexpensive fuel pump I could hook up to a battery, and drain the fuel out through the drain plug hole into containers, and put it in the car.
Any suggestions for a specific fuel pump that will do the job? I guess I am asking what is the cheapest electric fuel pump I can buy and where can I buy it.
I understand that most electric fuel pumps are build into the tanks these days, can that be adapted? I am envisioning one of the old kind you see under the car.
Any help is appreciated.

mrfixxall
10-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I have about 10 gallons of fuel in my tank, and it is old, not bad yet, just old as in 2 years old. (It won't last through the winter) I wanted to drain it out. I tried disconnecting the fuel line from off of the pump on the side of the motor, but could not get a siphon situation going. So I was looking for an inexpensive fuel pump I could hook up to a battery, and drain the fuel out through the drain plug hole into containers, and put it in the car.
Any suggestions for a specific fuel pump that will do the job? I guess I am asking what is the cheapest electric fuel pump I can buy and where can I buy it.
I understand that most electric fuel pumps are build into the tanks these days, can that be adapted? I am envisioning one of the old kind you see under the car.
Any help is appreciated.

everybody still makes them,,go to any auto parts store and ask for a in line electric fuel pump,,carter, a/c delco i know are still available..

VetteLT193
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree, easy to find, but I don't know that I'd agree with actually spending the cash for only 10 gallons. you could get a $5 hand pump from wal mart and just pump it out. If you want to use an electric pump in general it would be worth it though.

CHACHI
10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Disconnect the line from the pump side like you have done, make sure the fill cap is tight and then use compressed air (maybe 2-3 lbs, don't want to blow the tank) through the vent hose.
Ken

handfulz28
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
The "outlet" side of your siphon tube needs to be lower than the lowest part of your "inlet" end. I'm guessing the "inlet" end is the pickup in the tank, so you need a hose long enough to run out of the bilge drain and to the bottom of your catch tank, which would probaby be sitting on the floor. Hit your hardware supply, pick up a barbed hose connector and length of hose in the same diameter of your fuel line. Connect it together.
You might also be able to find a "safety siphon" which you can further attach to the end of the hose. You shake it or something and it creates enough vacuum to start the fluid flow. As long as the outlet is lower than the inlet, the vacuum will keep the fluid flowing until the pickup tube is sucking air.

MOP
10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Siphoning is impossible due the the anti siphon valve located on the tanks outlet.

Phil

vonkamp
10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Disconnect the line from the pump side like you have done, make sure the fill cap is tight and then use compressed air (maybe 2-3 lbs, don't want to blow the tank) through the vent hose.
Ken

What he said...

sub-bass
10-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Maybe one of those attachment's that go into the head of a screw-gun, they're a tiny pump that work on the spinning speed of the gun - inlet and outlet.. Home Depot or Auto parts store. I bought one for my friend to flush his boat from a compound bucket. They pump a fair bit of water surprisingly.

Google "Drill water pump attachment" or something.

Something like this.. only you can get better ones http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-DRILL-PUMP-FOR-WATER-COOLANT-FUEL-OIL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63700QQihZ013QQitem Z230180281247QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V