PDA

View Full Version : aerostich

zelatore
10-24-2007, 05:47 PM
So it's about time to replace some of my old riding gear. I know there are several of you guys who ride - any of you wearing a 'stich suit? I'm thinking of going to a Roadcrafter this time and before I drop the big coin on a one-piece suite I wondered if any of you had direct experience with their stuff. I'm a little leery of ordering tailored gear on-line, but that's the only way Riders Wearhouse sells.

FWIW, I mostly ride sport-standards. My daily scoot is a Speed Triple.

joel3078
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Aerostich is close to me - Northern MN in Duluth. You would think that you would see more people riding with their outfit but it's not the case. The BMW guys wear them but that's about all I see. I would skip the big cash on a custom 1 piece outfit. Layers and multi-piece options work the best.

I did a cross country trip (see map) this summer in August that was 5,500 miles round trip. Road in 40 to 105 degree weather during 2 weeks. Wore full leathers when cold and ventilated mesh jacket w/jeans when hot. Also had 2 helmets - a 1/2 one and a full face - both nice for temp extrems. I also had a trailer behind me so I could load up on stuff to bring along. Between camping gear and the SO's stuff, a trailer was a must.

superhatz
10-24-2007, 11:05 PM
I've got the Darien jacket and I love it........the quality is very good and I like the way they fit when compared to every other jacket I tried.

BTW: www.advrider.com is the best motorcycle website I've found and there's a lot of info on Aerostitch.......

:)

zelatore
10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the comments. I've seen ADVrider before when browsing (seems like I found them while doing some speculative reseach on a GS) but never paid much attention. I'll look them up again.

I've been wearing 2-piece balistics for about 10 years now and like them, but they're pretty tired. My current jacket is my 2nd BMW jacket, and this one isn't holding up as well as my previous one did. Given the price on the BMW gear, I've been very disapointed in this piece and this has prompted me to look for something different.

I still haven't decided for sure if I'll stick with two-piece or go to the one piece like the roadcrafter, but I plan to get something new this winter. I know last year I checked out some Fallstaff stuff at the IMS show, but I wasn't really looking to buy then. Now's the time, so I need to make up my mind. I like the customization options for the Aerostich stuff since I've had a hard time finding good fit with some off the rack gear, but as stated, it's expensive!

Joel, I'd ask how the wing is treating you, but I've never met a wing rider who didn't love it. My father recently bought one to replace his Concours and because it's the best ride for towing his little camping trailer. Of course, he's riding solo mostly since my mother rides her own FZ-1. Now that he's retired they're problaby doing about 30-40K a year. I've tried his wing just for kicks but I'm not ready to go to something that big! Maybe a GS1200 with hard bags for that 'some day' trip to Alaska, or an FJR1300, but I've got too many bikes already and not enough time to keep up with all my hobies as it is.

Craig S
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
The more serious guys that I ride with use Aerostitch 1pc. I'm a poseur, so I wear Academy leather.:newzealand: