PDA

View Full Version : four wheelers...

Donziweasel
10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
first, let me say that i own a polaris 700 four wheeler. lately around jackson the tree huggers have been belly aching about four wheelers in the forest. i just thought it was the usual treehugger bitching until sunday. i hunt in an area that is a valley about a mile accross with mountains on both sides. one side is wilderness area (no motorized vehicles). the other side is open to four wheelers with 100's of miles of trails and access. i went up the wilderness side and saw all kinds of track. when i got to 8500 ft, i saw now more tracks, so i knew the elk were lower. i headed down to try and get on them. then i saw a guy on a four wheeler 2 miles in the wilderness area. he saw me and jumped on his four wheeler and took off. in the process, he spooked any elk in a 2 mile radius. i went after him on horse, but was no match for his fourwheeler.

much like performance boating is coming under attack, so is four wheeling. the actions of this asshole are giving fourwheeling and unfortunatly this time of year, hunting, a bad name. i just could not understand with the amount of access this guy had that he felt he needed to poach a wilderness area. the moral is, if you ride a fourwheeler, much like performance boating, act responsibly. respect local, state and federal laws as well as others who are utilizing a lake or forest. in the end, we are helping our selves.

Cuda
10-24-2007, 10:28 AM
The Ocala National Forest is 1.5 miles from my house. We used to be able to ride anywhere, except on named or numbered roads, or in the wilderness areas. Last year, they put the kabosh on that. Now there are four loops that you are allowed to ride on. Pissed me right off! The first time we went after that, a forest ranger was coming out of the woods in a truck, he had been hunting four wheeler riders. I asked him what the hell this was all about. He said the four wheelers were ruining wet lands. I pointed out the fact that all the wetlands where we were riding were just borrow pits, where they dug up to build power lines across there, and not natural wet lands. At first I told him I'd have to call the governor to ask him about it, when I remembered it was Federal land, so I'd have to call my congressman instead.:mad:

It was 388,000 acres to roam on.

mrfixxall
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
first, let me say that i own a polaris 700 four wheeler. lately around jackson the tree huggers have been belly aching about four wheelers in the forest. i just thought it was the usual treehugger bitching until sunday. i hunt in an area that is a valley about a mile accross with mountains on both sides. one side is wilderness area (no motorized vehicles). the other side is open to four wheelers with 100's of miles of trails and access. i went up the wilderness side and saw all kinds of track. when i got to 8500 ft, i saw now more tracks, so i knew the elk were lower. i headed down to try and get on them. then i saw a guy on a four wheeler 2 miles in the wilderness area. he saw me and jumped on his four wheeler and took off. in the process, he spooked any elk in a 2 mile radius. i went after him on horse, but was no match for his fourwheeler.
much like performance boating is coming under attack, so is four wheeling. the actions of this asshole are giving fourwheeling and unfortunatly this time of year, hunting, a bad name. i just could not understand with the amount of access this guy had that he felt he needed to poach a wilderness area. the moral is, if you ride a fourwheeler, much like performance boating, act responsibly. respect local, state and federal laws as well as others who are utilizing a lake or forest. in the end, we are helping our selves.

During hunting season up in wis 4wheelers are restricted..you can only ride a 4wheeler if your hunting during hunting season from what i understand..if your caught their will be a high price to pay..