PDA

View Full Version : has anybody done this before...

SouNdFreaK
10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
hey guys,
im new to the whole boat scene thing. so if i say something stupid dont shoot me.
anyways, i just bought a 1988 donzi ragazza 17' right now its got the stock mercruiser 3.0 4 cylinder inboard. i want to pull out the stock 4 cylinder and drop in a 350 small block.
what i want to know...
has anybody done this before?
is it possible?
and if anybody could recommend me to someone that could do this swap for me. im located in the miami fl. area.
oh and BTW if anybody know someone selling a 350 small block. please let me know.
so let me know what you guys think, and thanx for your inputs...

mrfixxall
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
hey guys,
im new to the whole boat scene thing. so if i say something stupid dont shoot me.
anyways, i just bought a 1988 donzi ragazza 17' right now its got the stock mercruiser 3.0 4 cylinder inboard. i want to pull out the stock 4 cylinder and drop in a 350 small block.
what i want to know...
has anybody done this before?
is it possible?
and if anybody could recommend me to someone that could do this swap for me. im located in the miami fl. area.
oh and BTW if anybody know someone selling a 350 small block. please let me know.
so let me know what you guys think, and thanx for your inputs...

Sell it and buy one with the power you want because by the time your through with it you will have twice the amount on money in it then its worth..

you will need to change the outdrive or the gear set because the 4cyl models run a taller gear ratio to turn the turn the prop..

then you have ti remove and make room for the v-8 engine you want to install..
in your model boat you have their known for rotted stringers so that will be extra cost also..

Pismo
10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Sell it and buy one with the power you want because by the time your through with it you will have twice the amount on money in it then its worth..
you will need to change the outdrive or the gear set because the 4cyl models run a taller gear ratio the turn the prop..
then you have ti remove and make room for the v-8 engine you want to install..
in your model boat you have their known for rotted stringers so that will be extra cost also..

Ditto.......

gold-n-rod
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Let's ask this another way.....

Hi guys. I just bought a Chevy Malibu with a 4 cylinder. I want to install a small block in it. Please tell me how.

As you might imagine, you could spend as much (or as little, if you want to a cobble job) as you like. You might even spend $10K to do it right. If you take the money you would spend, plus the cost of the Malibu, you could buy a nice, used Corvette.

This is what the guys are telling you. Only you can decide if you want a V8 powered Malibu or a nice old Vette.

Do a search for posts from onesubdrver. He did it.

Donzigo
10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
The people who have responded are giving you some good advice. Here's a little more.............un-asked for advice from yours truly.

There have been, as with many boat companies, various seasons of what Donzi has made for their consumers. The original Classics were and have remained the standard for many small boats having big HP platforms. Donzi has along the way also made a few jet boats, some cruising barges and for a time, a nice economically priced boat line called Regazza. It was a great value at the time and fit a certain portion of the market; but, it's not and never was a performance boat. As a boat that you will get your money out of, after putting the expensive HP onboard, you will probably won't recoup the $$$$.

I've had 12 or so small runabouts & fishing boats, 5 - 13ft Whalers (you'd think I would keep one), a 34 ft houseboat (lived on it for 2 years) a 35 & 41 foot Chris Craft motoryacht (lived on the 41 for 3 years - OMG what fun!) a few sailing boats, a couple of canoes, an inflatable or two, a tunnel hulled beast (that almost killed me) and 4 Donzis from 22 to 33 ft (the one I own now) and I have had a blast owning them all. Each has had something unique to offer in the way of boating. I'm not knocking your Ragazza, for sure. But, your best bet is to go out and enjoy all the boating you can get out of your Donzi, with the 4 banger engine and then when you get good and tired of it, get something with a little more juice. But, enjoy yours first. Buy booze instead of HP, it's a better use of your money.