PDA

View Full Version : My tow toy whats it worth?

MOP
10-22-2007, 06:08 AM
1997 GMC 5.7 4X2 with posi and a ton of goodies, new tires, shocks battery and it is very loaded compared to most. Off to work now will do a better write up later

Phil

Barry Eller
10-23-2007, 07:20 PM
1997 GMC 5.7 4X2 with posi and a ton of goodies, new tires, shocks battery and it is very loaded compared to most. Off to work now will do a better write up later
Phil

This link will give you a general idea. New equipment on vehicles compares to new equipment on our boats, we probably needed them to keep it serviceable, doesn't add value, but will make it a lot easier to sell.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/default.aspx

MOP
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Barry I am so torn on selling it, I used it today to run up island. It is so comfortable and sweet running I may keep it awhile longer, was thinking why the heck did I buy the new one. I guess I am like most a sucker for a deal!

Barry Eller
10-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Barry I am so torn on selling it, I used it today to run up island. It is so comfortable and sweet running I may keep it awhile longer, was thinking why the heck did I buy the new one. I guess I am like most a sucker for a deal!

MOP, the dealership I work with is a Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saab dealer. I have driven them all, Dodge, Fords, Toyotas, Nissans. I'm so used to the "New Car" smell (30 years) I'm not bothered by it anymore. My 1998 Chevy Silverado X-Cab, SLT with leather Capt. chairs, 5.7, 3.73 locking differential is fine for me. My daily driver is a 1997 Mustang GT convertible, 4.6 with 5 speed. The wife drives a 2001 Cadillac Deville. I don't have as much money tied up in three vehicles as 1 new truck costs. Especially when you get into the HD 2500's and 3500's. Not to mention the Duramax Diesels! Of course I'm only towing a Donzi 22C. I don't need the big boys!

MOP
10-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Both of mine are also two wheel posi can't beat it, one heck of a lot better on a slimy ramp then 4X4. I have pulled a few 4X4's boats when they were nearly blowing the front dif out from the violent hopping. Barry what is the deal on posi and traction control.

Phil

p729lws
10-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Both of mine are also two wheel posi can't beat it, one heck of a lot better on a slimy ramp then 4X4. I have pulled a few 4X4's boats when they were nearly blowing the front dif out from the violent hopping. Barry what is the deal on posi and traction control.
Phil

2-wheel posi is better than 4x4? Is this the general consensus? I always figured 4-wheel drive was the way to go.:confused: I'm contemplating a new-to-me tow vehicle so some one educate me please.

Dan

MOP
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
2-wheel posi is better than 4x4? Is this the general consensus? I always figured 4-wheel drive was the way to go.:confused: I'm contemplating a new-to-me tow vehicle so some one educate me please.
Dan

No I am sure not! But on two occasions I had to pull other guys boats out on our ramp due to the front wheels hopping like mad while the back ones were spinning on the slime. They were sure to blow the front differential sooner or later, they wait for the tide or me if the see my sub. Now they were true 4X4's not all wheel, I believe all wheel distribute the power not sure. I had 4X4 for over 40 years and would not buy another unless I was going to start playing in the woods. Another good point go by any body shop after there have been icy conditions, you will be surprised how many 4X4's are in there lots. I have two close buddies with body shops they love SUV, as they are so good on the ICE! RLOL!!!!! I was station in Maine, we used 4X4's a lot to get going but would take them out of 4 wheel drive once moving, if you start to skid in 4 wheel drive you have a much harder job getting control back. On a 2 wheel vehicle you ease of the gas and turn the front wheels in the direction of the skid and regain control a lot better. Also the do not stop any better then a 2 wheeler infact a bit slower due to the extra weight.

Phil

Phil

Cuda
10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Most of my trucks have been four wheel drive. Four wheel drive is kind of like owning a pistol............you don't really need it, until you need it badly!:eek!:

zelatore
10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
As a kid in southern Indiana we only got enough snow to worry about it once or twice a year. And yes, all the SUV's and other 4x4's all seemed to end up in the ditch. Not because of some inhearant problem with 4wd, but because the idiots driving them felt invincable. As mentioned above, 4wd will help you get going, but it doesn't make the thing acutally turn or stop any better. some soccer mom/dad in his 4wd SUV that has never actually used the thing is guaranteed to end up in a drift.

The best part was watching the guys who actually were used to driving in bad conditions go by them left and right with 'regular' cars. My favorite was when I was when a friend of mine went to work only to find nobody there. He called the boss who said the roads were so bad he just closed up because nobody could get through even with a truck. Being that he was from the Chicago area, my friend had made it without much trouble at all. What was he driving? An Alfa Romeo Spider - not exactly a snow-mobile.

Proving once again, it ain't the tool....

MOP
10-24-2007, 11:59 AM
A good thing to know that I learned from the locals up in Maine about driving on "glare" ice, if you have a 4X4 and only have one set of chains put them on the front axle. The truck will follow the front wheels, but if on the back axle many times will push the front where ever and I mean where ever. The ice up there is like free falling only on the flat!
When I first got up there at age 19 I was stunned by the icy roads compared to NY but soon learned to make it to the base and home again, when I first got up there I was driving a 48 Desoto with the slush box tranny. The Desoto was very good on the ice but sucked in anything over 6" of snow. I picked up a Dodge power wagon that was better in the deep snow and in the spring mud but horrible on the ice, it had the worlds worst heater I froze even in good GI Artic gear including Muclucks.

Cuda
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Ice????? My only experience with ice is in a cocktail glass!:wink:

Barry Eller
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Phil

General Motors trucks, GMC & Chevy, are available with "True" locking differientals. G80 is the code on the white option sticker in the glove box. Nissan has a locking differiental but it has to be activated with a switch. The GM diff locks automaticaly if one of the wheels spins approx 100 rpms faster than the other wheel.

Positraction or "limited slip" diffs do not completely lock. (I'm not talking about drag racing diffs). Limited slip in what most people refer to as positraction.

Traction control works in conjunction with the anti-lock brakes. (ABS) It is to keep the vehicle under control in low/slippery road conditions. Traction control systems have a switch to turn them off in the event you get stuck and need to rock the vehicle back and forth to get unstuck.

MOP
10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Barry I had the dealer print a build sheet for me, it said locking differential also traction control what is up with that. I know if I hammer it both wheels break loose together. I will have to check your G80 code thing, the build sheet is 3 pages long. He said everything but a moon roof, that means $$$ dealer work down the road:bonk:

Barry Eller
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Barry I had the dealer print a build sheet for me, it said locking differential also traction control what is up with that. I know if I hammer it both wheels break loose together. I will have to check your G80 code thing, the build sheet is 3 pages long. He said everything but a moon roof, that means $$$ dealer work down the road:bonk:

Traction control has nothing to do with the differential. It works on the ABS brakes when wheels spin at high rpms such as on ice or wet roads. Front wheel drives have traction control avaliable also. It is to prevent cars from skidding out of control. ie: RWD car going around a corner on wet street, too much throttle and it fishtales. Traction control is designed to help in those situations.

Barry Eller
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Dan

Dan, all 4x4's are NOT the same. GM products are the only ones with "True" automatic locking differentials. AWD and 4X4 drive are not the same thing. Positraction, limited slip, is not the same as "locking" differentials.

MOP could probably pull the other vehicles out because he was out of the slime and could get better traction. His having a locking diff was a big help as well.

In our area, flat boat ramps, 2WD is fine. The steeper the incline, the more need for the 4X4.

MOP
10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Qoute: MOP could probably pull the other vehicles out because he was out of the slime and could get better traction. His having a locking diff was a big help as well.

Barry mine will pull up my ramp that is so slippery I can not stand on for fear of breaking my old azz. At low tide I need to pull my 22 and their boats up about 7-8 feet of goo. I have had my old two wheel sub three years now and down a bunch of ramps the worst being the one up at Blind Bay up at 1K, it is so steep and covered with wet grass but it alway makes it in and out. When they are real slick I put it in 2 so low gear is cut out works great.

Barry Eller
10-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Qoute: MOP could probably pull the other vehicles out because he was out of the slime and could get better traction. His having a locking diff was a big help as well.
Barry mine will pull up my ramp that is so slippery I can not stand on for fear of breaking my old azz. At low tide I need to pull my 22 and their boats up about 7-8 feet of goo. I have had my old two wheel sub three years now and down a bunch of ramps the worst being the one up at Blind Bay up at 1K, it is so steep and covered with wet grass but it alway makes it in and out. When they are real slick I put it in 2 so low gear is cut out works great.

Sounds like you have some good tires. Suburbans tow/pull better than pickups because there is more weight on the rear wheels. Also if the tongue weight of the trailer is proper, the tow vehicle will have better traction.