PDA

View Full Version : 385hp And Only 50 mph?

captainsae
10-20-2007, 09:45 PM
What's wrong with this picture? Nice looking boat but the top speed does not reflect 385hp. Maybe he needs a visit from Rootsy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-Sweet-Sixteen-Classic-Ski-Sporter-1976_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ018QQite mZ280163676723QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

LKSD
10-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Wow ppf (ppg) Paint, a 360* water pump :bonk: & a 350hp volvo drive with the Barney graphics:bonk::eek!::hyper:.. ! :D Some stuff doesnt add up I agree & I would have to say that Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess:boggled:.. Hopefully some one will rescue this little boat... :) Jamie

Lenny
10-21-2007, 01:22 AM
385 and THAT drive in THAT boat should see 70...

smokediver
10-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I think Cuda posted about this boat when it was up for sale last year or so ?

chappy
10-21-2007, 08:54 AM
"In excess of 50 mph." Not a bad thing, just sounds like someone is guessing. Possibly the speedo doesn't work, or they don't have access to a gps. Or ultimately, lack the nerve to air that little thing out at wot to achieve real top end.:eek!: I think we take for granted that we have a lot of experience with our boats. That speed claim makes me think someone is a little afraid of what they have.

Rich

P.S. OR, it's a true 50 mph ride, and the specs are WAY off, who knows.:biggrin:

BigGrizzly
10-21-2007, 10:03 AM
That boat and drive combo won't do 70mph. That is what I have with al ittle more power and CMI exhausts, 67 with my props is about it! With that exhaust it stops pulling at about 4200 with that power. If it a better exhaust it would probably run faster. The prop he has runs out of steam about 54-55 mph and doesn't bite any more. The other part is he is probably using a desk top dyno and it is out to lunch!!!

mrfixxall
10-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow ppf (ppg) Paint, a 360* water pump :bonk: & a 350hp volvo drive with the Barney graphics:bonk::eek!::hyper:.. ! :D Some stuff doesnt add up I agree & I would have to say that Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess:boggled:.. Hopefully some one will rescue this little boat... :) Jamie

J, wow its has a ''350 rocker motor'', must be one of a kind:)

Sweet little 16
10-21-2007, 11:44 AM
that 50 mph in an old volvo boat was just around the service limit with out seat time a very good prop trim and a nosecone 385hp at 50 could be a white knuckled seat soiling nightmare i think the term used by brownie was gunwale walking

mrfixxall
10-21-2007, 11:54 AM
That boat and drive combo won't do 70mph. That is what I have with al ittle more power and CMI exhausts, 67 with my props is about it! With that exhaust it stops pulling at about 4200 with that power. If it a better exhaust it would probably run faster. The prop he has runs out of steam about 54-55 mph and doesn't bite any more. The other part is he is probably using a desk top dyno and it is out to lunch!!!

That boat and drive combo won't do 70mph.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a little more hp with a tricked out ultra prop and my x will do over 70:yes:........When i had the 307 ( a little tricked out) with the same ultra prop the x would do 62 mph @ 5200 rpm with the same style log manifolds that 16 is running but made by glenwood...just my o2

Sweet little 16
10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
That boat and drive combo won't do 70mph.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have a little more hp with a tricked out ultra prop and my x will do over 70:yes:........When i had the 307 ( a little tricked out) with the same ultra prop the x would do 62 mph @ 5200 rpm with the same style log manifolds that 16 is running but made by glenwood...just my o2

an x 18 is NOT a 16, the volvo 16 is a handful at that speed if the setup is NOT correct so let's compare apples to apples and seat time in a 16 is more important to get real speed out of them than an 18 or a 22( not to say that seatime is not needed) as they are a tad more forgiving

mrfixxall
10-21-2007, 12:56 PM
an x 18 is NOT a 16, the volvo 16 is a handful at that speed if the setup is NOT correct so let's compare apples to apples and seat time in a 16 is more important to get real speed out of them than an 18 or a 22( not to say that seatime is not needed) as they are a tad more forgiving

im not comparing, just stating facts...a 16 with that kind of hp should do more then excess of 50 mph with that drive and horsepower to weightt ratio compared to my x18..trust me the x is a handful at those speeds too:wink:

Sweet little 16
10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
the 16 doesn't suffer from a power to weight ratio it suffers from a power to lack of running surface ratio, using old technology which this boat seems to be equipped with it most definetly suffers from the mid 50's habit of trying to submerge the handrails, it does appear to have a 290 leg from the pictures so I would assume it has trim but cannot comment on the drivers abilty to use it or his comfort level but looking at the prop on it it is a hand full for sure, the 18 is a more balanced boat with a better mix of power to wetted surface any similar powered 18 and 16 the 18 would be faster or could be driven faster more stabile
i have only seen a handful of 70 mph + 16 and only one that was volvo drive it was an e drive the rest were newer merc boats, I didn't mean the 18 and 22 at higher speeds are not a handful but the 18 and 22 owners most common response after taking the wheel of a volvo 16 is my ( insert 18 or 22 here) doesn't do that

overall the boat looks solid and appears to be in good shape ( color not withstanding) and hopefully will find a good home

LKSD
10-21-2007, 05:19 PM
The boat doesnt look to be in too bad a shape, they just neet to better know what they are talking about:propeller: & the oveall look is just done in poor taste in my opinion.. Again just MY OPINION.. :)

The 50 ish mph speed does sound about right & it would be a fun lil raft @ that speed.. I have pushed other 16's a lot faster than that & you really do need to be on top of your game to run it like that..:yes:

J

f_inscreenname
10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Maybe its a tired motor and proped wrong.
Or they GPS'ed it. http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/grin.gif

Pismo
10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I like the blue almost purple hull side color. Very unique.

Cuda
10-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I think Cuda posted about this boat when it was up for sale last year or so ?
Yes, that's the same one. I saw it down at the launch at Ormond a little over a year ago.

Cuda
10-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Maybe its a tired motor and proped wrong.
Or they GPS'ed it. http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/grin.gif
It's definetly not tired. I know Galen, who did all the work on it, and he told me all the things they did to it, and it wasn't because he was trying to sell it. The Boat Hospital, where I had my paint and fiberglass work done on the 22, did the glass and paint on this boat. It is a sharp looking boat. I'm sure you can call Galen at Speedmasters in Deland with any questions about it.

MOP
10-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks Joe the guys were right that clears things up a bit. Kind of figured it was a not to knowledgeable owner that was being thrown under the bus.