PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh...good to be home.

ChromeGorilla
10-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Well after leaving Galveston and swinging by Miami, then on to Gibraltar....I have to say it's good to be home. :yes:

We arrived in Gibraltar on Tues evening. Turned over with the oncoming crew and left the ship about 10 in the morning. Our flight to London didn't leave till 8 at night so I spent the day sight seeing in Gibraltar and walked over to Spain too.

Here are just a few pictures for ya.

First is a French assault ship
The some early morning shots of the rock and the bay
Notice the yatch in the 6th picture on the bottom right.... Boat was called "Tivoli"...homeported out of Portsmouth NH...

ChromeGorilla
10-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Some more pics
The airport was very small..... to go to and from Gibraltar you have to drive or walk across the only runway at the airport. It was neat. hell there wasn't even a place for the planes to taxis out to the end of the runway...it taxis down the middle of the runway then pulls a u-turn.

ChromeGorilla
10-20-2007, 02:51 PM
One thing that was kind of neat was that the winds come out of the east and are blasted straight up the side of the rock and form the perpetual cloud above it... was reall neat watching the cloud form as if it were coming out of a smoke stack....

boxy
10-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Cool pics Chromey. Looks like it was a real cool trip, glad it went safely.

pmreed
10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Hmmm. French assault ship. Isn't that an oxymoron?:wink:

gcarter
10-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Are the Brits and the Spanish getting along any better???
The Spanish have wanted that land back for a very long time.....

ChromeGorilla
10-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Relations are better than they used to be.....

I would say aside from the tourists, most of the locals walking around and working in the cafes and shops were Spanish or speaking Spanish. At the end of the work day, all of the traffic was flowing back into Spain. Most of Gibraltars work force lives in Spain.

That said, whenever the Gibraltarians (that is the correct term) have an opportunity to vote on whether to cede to Spanish rule, it gets defeated every time with a ratio of close to 9-1. I believe that would be due to a majority of the small population being made up of either wealthy Brits or British retirees.