PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Violent Crime, I am lucky to be alive tonight

Carl C
10-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I was just ambushed and beaten and robbed at gunpoint at the back door of my own home. The first guy stuck a long barrel pistol in my face and said "give me the money". I instinctively grabbed the gun and held it away from me but a second guy hit me twice in the head with a club knocking me down and nearly out. They grabbed my briefcase and ran. They only got about $300. I had already increased my security measures but now they are going up a notch. A lot of the folks here are business people and this can happen to you so please be careful and ready to defend yourself. If anyone is offended about me posting this here please ignore it and move on. I have some friends here and it's helping me by posting this. My head really hurts and I still may end up at the hospital but at least I didn't get shot. Thanks for listening.:(

RedDog
10-19-2007, 10:24 PM
glad you are ok and only out a little.

I guess your G Shepard was in and couldn't help?

Get a carry permit and learn kung fu grass hopper :wink:

McGary911
10-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Holy crap Carl. Hope you're OK. I guess it could happen to anybody. I'm not sure what would be going through my head if something like that just happened to me. Hope they catch the guys.

RickSE
10-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Thieves suck. Someone broke into my mom's house last December. She lives alone and they broke in while she was away. It scared the crap out of her and it took her several months before she would stay in the house again. Two weeks ago someone broke in her house again; probably the same jerk since they tried to break in the same way. Now she's really scared to stay in the house and has been living with us ever since. She won't go back to the house alone so we'll probably sell it.

My dad had someone pull a gun on him a few years ago in a Marriott parking lot demanding money. He's been shot several times in his life so he looked the guy in the eyes and said F-you I not giving you anything. He said a few other things and the guy backed down.

Carl, be careful. Glad to hear you're OK.

Carl C
10-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Dogs were in the house and there was no time to initiate other security measures. They got the jump on me. I think I'll be OK, I just have a big lump on my head and it hurts. Both hits were on the same spot. Now I'm just pretty shook up. I took a valium (yes, I get them from my doc) and I'm going to try to rest.

yeller
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow Carl! Scary situation. Sure glad to hear you're ok.

LKSD
10-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Wow.. Sorry to hear of your rough night.. You know Kristin & I definitley are on the same page as you with our view on this type of thing..

I hope the SOB's get caught.. If those loosers worked as hard at making an honest living the would would be a better place..

I hope you feel better.. Jamie :)

Mr X
10-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Carl,
Get a permit and start carrying a gun.
But it seems like even that would not have helped you in this situation.
If you were looking at the wrong end of a gun, the last thing you want to do is go for yours.
Glad to hear you will be OK. It could have been MUCH worse!

Formula Jr
10-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Theres only 200 and some houses and 900 or so many people that even live in Clarkston. You seem to have the highest crime rate in the entire Village.

Could it be because you have the only cash based secondhand store around?
Not to much of a stretch to assume these guys cased you out from your shop and then tailed you home at some point earlier. Or they could have read your home address from when you posted it here with your estimate of damages to your boat a while back. In any case, they seem to have been prepared for mugging you.

Everyone here should take this as a warning call not to get too specific about who you are and what you do on the net. The information provided in photos makes me cringe sometimes. Reading this board is a burglar's dream. And anyone can read it, even from a library.

Carl, Glad you were not permanently damaged. I'm surprised you were let to go home and be alone with a possible concussion.
But maybe some changes are in order. Like getting rid of the places they can hide to jump you or break into your house. Obviously, the word on the street is that you are a target.
And now they know you have prescription drugs, have 300 cash on you sometimes, that you don't carry, and that your dogs are locked up and some pretty nice photos of your back door area.

Its not wrong to share stuff about our lives. But just think sometimes about that photo or that piece of information posted on the World Wide Web. Vet it before you post it. The web isn't a good or bad place. Its just a very open place.

Ed Donnelly
10-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Carl; My first thought would be to move. Thats just one too many times...
There is no place for anyone to hide when any of my family come home.
It also looks like high noon as soon as you take 2 steps onto my property.. Get some big ass motion-heat sensitive security lights----TODAY..............Ed

roadtrip se
10-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Not sure what I would have done given the circumstances, but I am glad you are okay.

Have you given any thought to moving out of that area? We certainly don't have this kind of stuff going on around us NW of town.

realbold
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow! Not something you'd expect in Clarkston. Shows to go it can happen anywhere. They definitely had you targeted.
My neighborhood isnt getting any better either.

Carl C
10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Thank you for the support. I needed family to talk to and my only family lives in Alaska (not a Donzi paradise) and I couldn't call them untill today with the time diff. Even though tempers flare up here sometimes, I still consider this my boating family. Formula Jr., new security measures are in affect and I can't talk about it here even though these guys would never visit this site. Also I am not the only target. Jewellers have been targeted this way and others are robbed at the bank night deposit. It's not just me. And I think these are the same pair who tried twice before to get me. Maybe now that we have armed robbery, etc. the detectives will work on this harder. BTW I had 5 or 6 cop cars here and EMS with sirens blaring within 5 minutes. Waterford Police rock. And, finally, yes, a move is a possibility (Havasu City?). I'm sick of dealing with the low life. Thanks again.

Lenny
10-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Dogs were in the house and there was no time to initiate other security measures.

Glad to hear you are OK. This totally sucks. Tough to deal with I am sure.

My 3 year old American German Shepard sits at 120 pounds and is NOT fat. He is always wherever we are. No boundaries. I would LOVE to see someone try that here. :yes:

Dr. Dan
10-21-2007, 07:34 AM
:wink:Carl.... Time to move.... unfortunately this is becoming endemic to the Suburban Communities. We leave North of Baltimore... a few years back about 15 homes had all of their Car Tires Slashed... even my Suburban! They left the 6 Trailer Tires alone....which I can't figure... but it sucks... ya think Human consideration for others would prevail ... it doesn't.

I had a Mustang stolen when we lived near Motor City years back... in the end there really is only sooo much ya can do...even if you're Jet Li...so move to Havasu... that way everyone here can come visit and then the Morons of the World will be less likely to find you. But trust me there are idiots everywhere that there are people... so stay aware, carry some protection and eat alot of beans.... hey sometimes nasty smells keep people away!

Good Luck.... Feel Better

Doc of Assualt & Omina Batteries :smash:

Rootsy
10-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Carl,

I feel for anyone that has had this happen to them. What is this world coming to?

My one suggestion to help you in the future is to do some studying and or take some local self defense courses which teach you about "situational awareness".

Even if you choose to carry protection without being aware of what is around you or what is going on the firearm is of little use.

In your area there are quite a few instructors that could provide you with some quality training in preparation for a CCW permit and in being safer in your environment all together.

Your safety depends ultimately on yourself. Police are really only there to draw the chalk outline and string the yellow tape and make the report... it's too late by the time they arrive.

It's also too late if someone gets the drop on you.

Hope the head feels better....

you may want to read this thread also... This is also a good site in general for gun rights and self defense.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=310319

dfunde01
10-21-2007, 10:13 AM
I was just ambushed and beaten and robbed at gunpoint at the back door of my own home. The first guy stuck a long barrel pistol in my face and said "give me the money". I instinctively grabbed the gun and held it away from me but a second guy hit me twice in the head with a club knocking me down and nearly out. They grabbed my briefcase and ran. They only got about $300. I had already increased my security measures but now they are going up a notch. A lot of the folks here are business people and this can happen to you so please be careful and ready to defend yourself. If anyone is offended about me posting this here please ignore it and move on. I have some friends here and it's helping me by posting this. My head really hurts and I still may end up at the hospital but at least I didn't get shot. Thanks for listening.:(

Time to leave Michigan. To many low life predators choosing to live off the land.

TOPSY II
10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
You know the really scary part is that this scenario is not just occuring in the Northern City "burbs"...Atlanta, Jackson, Ms, New Orleans, B-Ham, Memphis, Tampa, Miami,..you name it...pretty much every urban area, with moderately mixed demographics, and dense population is affected. I lived in ATL for close to 20 years, finally had enough..wife and I moved into a gated, patrolled development, into a Condo with cameras, security AND special keys to access the elevators...And now we've got 10Million Plus unregistered/illegal folks wandering around on top of that. I wish I believed it was gonna get better, but that's why I got a permit and sent my wife to classes to handle a firearm.

SAD!! Glad to know you're ok....sounds like you did have an angel on your shoulder.

Stay safe out there folks!

Topsy II :frown:

'86 Minx #59
'80 Bender Speed Skiff

LKSD
10-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. This totally sucks. Tough to deal with I am sure.
My 3 year old American German Shepard sits at 120 pounds and is NOT fat. He is always wherever we are. No boundaries. I would LOVE to see someone try that here. :yes:

Lenny, I had an American shepard years ago.. If I am correct they are 1/2 timberwolf & 1/2 german shepard.. They are an awsome animal.. If we were ever to get a bigger dog again we would probably consider one again.. But for now our attack yorkie & new attack scotty pup will have to do.. :) J

chappy
10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Couple of rounds out of that Springfield and they would not be eligible for parole.

BUIZILLA
10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
WOW................ damn Scott, this sounds familiar... while we were in 'Sota 3 weekends ago, some black males in a small white car followed Jenna home in the wee hours, and she saw them for a couple miles tailgating her, so she didn't turn directly down our street since we live on a cul de sac and we weren't home anyways, every turn she made they made, but it then turned into a mad escape as they were then trying to run her off the road around our neighborhood, she managed to outrun them, at one point close to 80 mph, prolly more, in the neighborhood, in her little Beemer cause she's a helluva good driver (like her dad LOL) she was making 90* turns at 45-50mph and went through over a dozen stop signs and traffic lights, it turned into a literal cat and mouse chase for about 15 minutes, and several miles of local roads, she couldn't connect with the LEO on her cell quick enough, so she got her BF on the line on speakerphone and he told her what roads to take to outrun them, and she did just that, and cleverly lost them... this was the second time this has happened to her in a year... I had to rotate the tires the next week, the kid CAN drive.. :yes:

dfunde01
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Getting a carry permit and some firearms training can be a very good idea if you are able to deal with making a split second decision and taking a life. Unless you are willing to use the weapon, don't carry it. If you are not certain that you'll be able to put the threat down don't even both to buy the weapon.

Give it some thought. When more of us are ready to act without remorse to remove a clear and present threat to our well being things will get better.

osur866
10-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Carl glad to here your okay, I had this happen to me about 10 years ago 3 black males jumped me and put a gun to my head as well, not a very pleasing thing to happen, I was at work alone when they did it. Take as many precautions as possiable and just remember as my dad always told me if you shoot them make sure they fall inside the window rather than outside the window:wink: Steve

Cuda
10-22-2007, 12:39 AM
A well lit approach to the house is a good start, most of he creepy crawlies won't enter a well lit area...

I agree with the lighting. I have one very bright light that come on at dark in front of my garage, and one between the house and the garage that comes on at dark also. I also have a motion detector light that comes on at the far end of my house in the back yard. The lights that come on at dark are only like $25 at Home Depot, and they really are bright. People know I keep motorcycles, four wheelers and a lot of other things in my garage. I also have to bulldogs and a big lab that I keep in the garage. Whenever I have my garage open, I keep the dogs in the dogbox at the front of the garage, to be sure any passers by see them. None of my dogs are yappers, so I know when they bark, especially at night, there is a reason. So far, the reasons have all been because there was a cat, or a coon near the garage, but I always get up to check, which is easy, because of all the bright lighting. I generally have my Colt Python in hand, when I check out why the dogs are barking. I also keep a 44 magnum here in my office. I also live on a dead end street, with only four houses, and I can recognize the sound of the vehicles that live on our road, and check out if I hear one late at night that doesn't belong. All my neighbors look out for each other.

I'm glad you weren't badly injured, or worse. I don't put anybody, or the police in charge of my safety. I feel I'm responsible for my safety, the safety of people in my house, and my own property. As pointed out, awareness of your situations is your best defense.

Carl C
10-25-2007, 08:38 AM
First I'm sorry to bring this downer thread back to the top but I haven't logged on in a while and wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I am OK but still pretty shook up and going through lots of valiums. I am not scared and only a bit angry; I'm more upset with the overall decline of morality. I did get out on the boat monday and when I'm on the water everything is OK. I was interviewed and photographed for a story in the Oakland Press but it never ran. I also haven't yet been contacted by the local police for follow-up. This week I installed some motion sensing lights and made some changes to my home security system. I'm going to mix up my routine a little so as to be less predictable and have taken other measures that I won't discuss here. I will think about a move to a warmer climate but it's not easy to sell a house in Michigan right now and I have two of them.

manatee970
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear what happened to you Carl, I know it can really shake someone up. I'm a Robbery/Homicide Detective in the Tampa Bay area and if there's any questions I can answer relating to the investigation or if there's anything I can help you with, let me know....

Morgan's Cloud
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
**** I will think about a move to a warmer climate *****************
Come out here for a few months and I can assure you that you will realise that is not the solution ! !
Glad you're doing well too ... keep going out in the boat , they have a therapeutic effect (at least when they're working properly)
Steve

Carl C
10-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Just one more post so no one thinks I'm making this up, then back to boating talk.

DonziChris
10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Carl, Sorry to hear what happened. Sure would like to hear where these idiots were shot, instead of you having to pay someone to catch them. Take care Chris

dfunde01
10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
In Georgia to can respond with lethal force to protect your self as soon as you feel threatened. You no longer have to try to retreat. I believe FL has a similar law.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/sb396.htm

:uzi:

Cuda
10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I will think about a move to a warmer climate but it's not easy to sell a house in Michigan right now and I have two of them.
I assure you, that moving south is no solution. Orlando is probably the scariest city I've ever been in after dark. Spend some time in the Crime Hills (Pine Hills) section of Orlando.

Carl C
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I assure you, that moving south is no solution. Orlando is probably the scariest city I've ever been in after dark. Spend some time in the Crime Hills (Pine Hills) section of Orlando. I'd miss the Great Lakes too. Moving my business might be a better option but there aren't many big flea markets around and I want to stay in a flea market.

Rootsy
10-29-2007, 08:21 AM
In Georgia to can respond with lethal force to protect your self as soon as you feel threatened. You no longer have to try to retreat. I believe FL has a similar law.
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/sb396.htm
:uzi:

yes Michigan also has Castle Doctrine. You do not have to retreat when confronted with violence or aggression if you have a legal right to be there in the first place.. whether that is your home, a parking lot the county fair or the doctor's office... If it is a "good" shoot you cannot be held criminally or civilly liable.

Sweet little 16
10-29-2007, 08:31 AM
in Jersey we go by a simple doctrine anyone found on the premise at night will be found on the premise in the morning :fire:

Carl C
10-29-2007, 11:50 AM
in Jersey we go by a simple doctrine anyone found on the premise at night will be found on the premise in the morning :fire: lol, now that's a good doctrine. Jamie is right about the new Michigan law and I wish the outcome had been two dead punks by my back door but it was not to be this time. At least I am OK and that is the main thing. We prolly oughta let this thread drift away. Thanks again for the moral support from my Donzi family.