PDA

View Full Version : Water in bilge

osur866
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Okay, after being out for only an hour to an hour and a half end up with 2-3 gallons of warm water in bilge. I've checked every hose and tightend every hose clamp that I can find, which there are a bunch, and still have not found the leak:confused:, I have a feeling it is leaking down by the wye pipe, question is what does the wye pipe connect to? Does it connect directly to the bellows or is there some kind of fitting between the wye pipe and bellow? Again the water is warm so it rules out a few things. Heres the set- up 2006 merc 6.2 with 3-point drain system and bravo 1 drive, I've been looking for this leak all summer long without any success:confused: Need help. Thanks, Steve

mrfixxall
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I have seen alot of y-pipes come loose in boats with 4.3l engines in them,,the engine vigerations rattle the bolts loose..i have also seen in the past where theirs a pin in that goes through the flapper in the y-pipe and what happens is the person is not careful when installing the exhaust bellow the pin going through the flapper & pin falls into the y-pipe..
whyle the exhaust going through the y-pipe the pin beats the crap out of the inside of the y-pipe and after time it wares a hole in it..

MOP
10-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Good chance the bellows is the cause.

Pismo
10-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I have switchable exhaust and that is where mine leaks all the time, regardless how tight I make the clamps, etc. All those connections...........its bound to leak. It drips around the hinges in the diverters as well. No way to seal those up well. I have the exact same problem. Warm water, a few gallons after running. Mine is the exhaust diverter system. If it is leaking around the Y-pipe it will take on cold water when sitting at the dock as well as warm water when running.

MOP
10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Who the hecks diverters are those, most have a cap over the ends of the pins so no spray comes out. They must spew water all over the aft end of your compartment.

mrfixxall
10-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Who the hecks diverters are those, most have a cap over the ends of the pins so no spray comes out. They must spew water all over the aft end of your compartment.

Was thinking the same thing,,and most ive seen have high temp o rings or some sort of water proof seals and busgings in them..

Tip for leaking bellow and exhaust seams,,take them apart clean and seal them with bellow adheasive or permatex non hardening gasget sealer..

Pismo
10-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Mercs very own stockers with caps, they still leak.

osur866
10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Well after a long day on the lake I've found one leak that I didn't know I had, back of the sea pump there is a blue drain plug well there was no groumet there :bonk: so .75 cent o-ring fixed that :), after a few more runs still water in the bilge, felt the diverters and felt a little water, took plastic bags and taped them around the diverters and sure enough water under the plastic. After looking at mine there is no caps on them there Corsa do they have caps that go over the diverters? And if so, can someone show a pic of them for me please, port side was leaking like a sive starboard was leaking but not nearly as bad, this makes sense now beacuse I run 95% with the exhaust closed and when I have run open most of the day still some water but not nearly like running closed. Thanks guys I think I might have found the problem now how to fix it! :wink: Steve