PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

wrussellw
10-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Would really appreciate some help. I have a '67 16 with a completely rebuilt 351w. Holley 650, alpha drive. Engine has maybe 20 hours on it. It has been running great. I went out Sunday and ran for about 45 minutes with no issues. I have been keeping the engine under 4000rpm. I backed off the throttle as I approached a no wake zone and I got a puff of brownish smoke from the tru-hull exhaust and the engine died. I waited about ten minutes, no water, gas or oil leaks under the hatch. I had to pump the throttle (hot foot) and hold the pedal to the floor to get it to restart.
When it started i was spewing some oil out of the exhaust. I ran back to the boat launch at about 3000rpm and of course it dies when I idle the engine.
Had good oil pressure the entire time, engine temp never went over 160. Oil appears to be fine not cloudy or milky.
Any help as to where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Choke issues, stuck open? Running rich?

wrussellw
10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
bump

gold-n-rod
10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Oil out the exhaust? Are you sure it's not soot? Soot can be black/brown and float on the water like oil. Oil on the water will leave a rainbow sheen, soot, prolly not, unless it is infused with fuel.

My gut tells me you have carb or vacuum trouble. I suppose vacuum problems could cause oil to be drawn into combustion, but that would result in white smoke, not brown.

I'd start there........

Good luck and keep us posted.

mrfixxall
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
sounds like you have a pieve of crap stuck into the needle and seat in the carb float circuit..

ky-donzi
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a fuel issue. Check the choke, and power valve. When a power valve blows it can enrich the mixture at all times even when not needed, like at idle. If you can get a vac guage check for eratic vac readings. I'm thinking that your issue will be a inexpensive one.

wrussellw
10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys. Tapped on the carb with a socket handle. Cranked up and idles perfect, ran all day no problems. After looking closer it was soot not oil.