PDA

View Full Version : Question about volvo outdrive fluid?

detroitdonzi
10-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I was talking to the mechanic at the boat yard and he said you dont want to use synthetic oils in the older volvo outdrives. Because the brass collars in the gears ,dont hold the synthetic oils on them like they do the conventional lubes and will fail sooner.The drive I have on my boat is the 270t circa 1973.Any ideas if this sound right thanks.

mrfixxall
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
i run valvoline 30 w in mine for the last 21 yrs..knock on wood and as far as i know from 1977 til present the drive hasnt been apart except to change the u-joint yoke and the u-joints and thats it:)

Kirbyvv
10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The manual for my 1978 280 volvo drive recommends straight 30 w oil. that's what I'm using also.

MOP
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Way back when Syn first started to get popular we had a few guys try it, they blued the cones from slipping. Most of the boats were commercial lobster and trap boats, they carried heavy loads and racked hours very quickly. However I know a few up on this board that run RedLine along with hiper power with -0- issues. There are several that run heavier grades also, so what is the rule? 30wt has worked for many years, but better oils have evolved!

Phil

BigGrizzly
10-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't use synthetic either but 75X90 in mine 270 with 290 transome plate I was told by a Volvo engineer that was the choice it protects the won't go into gear problem. We have had this discussion before. I do prefer the heaver oil which is what Volvo recommends in their new drives. Since the gears systems are similar I do it with 0 problems for 15 years on it and 25 on our 16. Either way you will be OK!

f_inscreenname
10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I was running 75-90 in my 1973 270/280 Frankenstein'ed Volvo for a year or two until I spoke the Volvo god (DonS) and have run 40W ever since. The 75-90 is good for the couple hot months but when the water cools off it makes the drive work to hard pushing it through. I'm usually the first in and the last out in a season, add in I have been putting more and more HP to it every year so I'm going to stay with the lighter weight. Also I think he said that 40 weight will disperse heat faster.

tiger lily
10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
i run synthetics in pretty much everything i own except the donzi, why you might ask, because the recommend gear oil in my volvo drive as proven itself worthy and the drive as never given a problem, its got a slight leak that occured this summer but hasnt been run since that day, im kinda worried myself about switching it to something diffrent since i know what works in it, and dont want to chance a synthetic and find out its actually to slippery, heat and water is what ive found to kill and break down lubricants, avoid that and the recommend oil should be fine

f_inscreenname
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh ya, synthetics tend to leak more. :yes:

BigGrizzly
10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
The 40 wt does not dissipate heat faster in any way shape or form. In reality sheer strength is more important than anything in lower units than anything. After doing so many oil test for my company, I have found out that most company techs haven't a clue on what their product does compared to others or what real world stresses apply to the products. The 75/90 was given to me by a Volvo chief engineer and he said they were putting out a bulletin to that effect back in 1983 or 84. As for synthetics, You won't get o.5 mph increase if it is changed. Remember the Volvo lower unit is like a rear end of a rear drive car or truck with straight cut gears. I change it to see about water intrusion and if metal particles are in it. Only some synthetics leak due to composition of the oil and don't lubricate the seal area with swellers (lack of the correct term). #0wt has been used for years with out problems caused by the oil. Fact id I use the 75/90 for sheer strength and cushion. the gears are surface heat treated, and can flake off causing failure under high HP and Rpm use. That drive,Due to the design and composition of materials used, is the coolest running drive in the industry.
In conclusion if you don't have problems with what you use then keep using it!

Sweet little 16
10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
all the volvos that I have seen busted( not many but around 6) all ran motor oil have never seen a volvo bust on gear oil the only failure our 16 had it had motor oil in it! for 8 years now on an older replacement drive it has been run harder faster with sythn gear oil and shows no signs of wear, leaks

detroitdonzi
10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
How this discussion started was when I told him I never used the boat a 1974 Donzi and it just sits with 75w-90 amsoil gear lube in the lower unit.Then he the mechanic told me it was the wrong lube and to change it out to 40w oil. The amsoil has been in the boat for 8 years now and have logged mybe 10-15 hours in that time .It goes in to gear fine and I have checked the dipstick and its clear ,no water, and no leaks.

BigGrizzly
10-16-2007, 01:35 PM
The mechanic id incorrect. In no manual does Volvo state to use 40 w oil. mthe other thing is that lower unit doesn't have any brass collars. The cone clutch engages hardened steel cones.
Like I said if it works use it. So your safe. We all understand you are just asking a question to find out what is best. That is what this board is about.

tiger lily
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
is your boat the red and white one in the avatar pic? did you run in the 20 cig run this year on the detroit river? i rember seeing a red and white 18, just wondering

slamdry
10-24-2007, 07:39 AM
does anyone know how many qts a 70's volvo 250 drive will hold. I put 2 in min and its not even showing on the dipstick??

Sweet little 16
10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
they made the legs in 3 sizes and the middle size is most common on donzi and takes in the neighborhood of 2 3/4 qts the long leng takes over 3 quarts