PDA

View Full Version : minx question need help

margo
10-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Just installed all new guages i,m trying to eleminate the warning lights....Do they have anything to do with shutting down the engine or do they just light and sound the alarm...Reason is because i have them unhooked and the boat will only run if you hold the egnition key all the way on start as soon as you release it it stalls....All the guages work need help on the warning set up or what else it could possibly be......thanks Joe

MOP
10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I was a little unsure if there was any connection, I called our local Minx Mavin he concurred that it is a totally separate circuit. That tells me you did something else to lose the power from the key, what you have no is only the hot start circuit fed by the starters solenoid.

Phil

gcarter
10-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Yep, when I got my Minx, there was very little wiring in it.....Sam was very helpful and voluntarily sent me a copy of his wiring diagram. It turns out all the classics are wired the same way and the only difference is the length of the wires used. The alarm wiring is in paralell to the gauge wires and has its own senders, etc. You're missing an ignition wire or maybe the lanyard switch is open.

BUIZILLA
10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
if you changed the ign switch, you have the start and run wires reversed on the poles

margo
10-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I didn,t change the switch...In other words i can get rid of the alarm and warning lights completely which is fine with me....Just have to figure out what i did wrong...Everything else works except the light in the engine compartment which used to come on when the battery switch was turned on now it doesen,t ...There was no switch on the light and it was always on...It only went off when you shut off the batterys.Is that a factory setup or a add on...Mr. Carter any way i can get a hold of a wireing schematic...Thanks everyone this is very frustrateing...Joe

gcarter
10-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I can send one to the address you list. I'll get it out early next week.

gcarter
10-13-2007, 07:52 PM
When you figure out your ignition problem, find the wire going to the light and I think (but I'm not sure) that it goes to the accessory switch.

MOP
10-14-2007, 10:40 AM
The engine compartment light is normally on a dash switch, never heard of one being on all the time that would spook me!

VetteLT193
10-14-2007, 02:12 PM
The engine hatch light should definitely on one of the ACC switches.

If the boat will run with the warning lights hooked up, and when they are unhooked the boat won't run, I'm guessing you have a daisy chained ground that goes through the buzzers. You'll just have to run a new ground from the ignition

margo
10-14-2007, 02:19 PM
The imfo Mop gave me is correct...After searching around i found a white wire with a female spade on it..Must have fell out of the taped up bundels i had marked for each guage...With out this wire i had no power to the coil ulless engine was turning over...Put power to the wire and tested at coil and there was power..Hooked it up to ign wire on one of the guages starts and runs fine...One problem solved ...more to come Thanks again....Joe