PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor winter storage: how to cover boat?

zimm17
10-11-2007, 05:33 AM
I keep my boat outside next to the house. I'm concerned with keeping my $600 sunbrella boat cover in decent shape through the winter. I was going to wrap the boat with a heavy duty, larger tarp that would cover the outdrive/steering system too. I also read on a how-to website that I can run a 16' 2x4 the length of the boat and make some angled legs to the ground so I have a little A-frame to make a temporary storage shelter for the boat. Or I can get one of those temporary garage things, but they are a few hundred bucks.

I don't get heavy snow, but lots of nasty cold rain and tree sap and leaves on the boat.

Any suggestions?

maddad
10-11-2007, 06:00 AM
A few times a year, West Marine and boat US sell these covers for around $100. I usually get 2 years out of them with no care whatsoever.

RedDog
10-11-2007, 07:04 AM
I stretch a clothesline (plastic coated wire cable) over the middle of the boat and then put a tarp over it. I then bungee or tie the tarp sides to the trailer.

joel3078
10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I have been storing various toys outside since 1993. Your boat cover will take more abuse in the summer than winter. Snow and ice don't kill them. Sun, wind, heat in that order kills them. Usually the stitching goes 1st then the cover material. 3-5 years on the stitching and 5-10 years on the material is how long mine last. If you have one made again, insist on poly coated cotton thread. This makes the stitching last longer, but tears up the sewing machine and needles faster. Typically just normal black or white cotton thread is used. UV from the sun kills covers the fastest. Driving freeway speeds with a cover on will wear em out quick also.

http://www.canvasplus.com/fabrics.html
These are the guys that do my covers. I use the new Aqualon material. Holds up better than Sunbrella and is more waterproof. Does not breath however so you have to spend extra money on having high quality vent caps installed.

The 100 dollar canvas covers are inexpensive and last a couple years outside. They fit fair but are certainly not a custom fit. On the flip side, you get a shiny new cover quite often.

As long as item is vented and covered well, no problems storing outdoors. From time to time you may want to visit item and brush heavy snow off. I have a tradition of sitting on the boat (swim platform) and having a beer in the middle of winter. Usually right after the boat show in January. Good excuse to visit the boat and check things out.

Sam
10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
I store three boats during the winter, one indoors ( donzi :wink: ) and the others out side. If you can get away with it I like the protable garage type shelters. What ever method you choose make sure you get a 2-3 containers of Damp-Rid www.damprid.com you can get it at Home Depot. I put one in the engine compartment and the other two in the boat.

Sam

glashole
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
get a local marina to shrink wrap it

no worry's :)

and if you are careful taking it off you can reuse it

OR

hold off the wedding for a few years and spend the money on building a garage
(or heated outside drinking hut as I call mine)

BigGrizzly
10-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Zimm, What I do is cover with the Sunbrella cover then cover with a 24X 12 silver tarp, making sure that water can not puddle. I did this to the Criterion until I built my garage and still do it to the Corsican. The sunbrella keeps the deck from being scratched by the plastic cover.

MOP
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I did not read the other posts so if this is a repeat ignore it! The most important and very often overlooked it adequate ventilation, covers that do not allow "GOOD" air flow will cause problems. The boat must be kept dry! Having run a marina where the majority of the boats were trailer sized and went to the owners homes I have seen many horror stories due to nice tight covers. I have resorted to 4" PVC pipe that extends into the cockpit, it has a 24 hour solar fan that is for summer. In the winter I install two 1-1/2" plastic hoses lead into the bow and cockpit to guarantee air in, I also add 110 volt 3" fan inserted in the cockpit pipe which runs constant along with the solar during the storage period, I also cover the tow cover over with one of those cheapy blue tarps. Anytime during the winter you can walk up to mt boat and put your nose by the pipes outlet it smells fresh and clean! No way will moisture work its way into anything in my boat.

Phil

mrfixxall
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
NOW IF YOU LIVED IN CHITOWN AREA ANY BOAT UNDER 24 FEET AND $245.00 GET YOU 6 MONTHS OF INSIDE STORAGE:wink:

CHACHI
10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I did not read the other posts so if this is a repeat ignore it! The most important and very often overlooked it adequate ventilation, covers that do not allow "GOOD" air flow will cause problems. The boat must be kept dry! Having run a marina where the majority of the boats were trailer sized and went to the owners homes I have seen many horror stories due to nice tight covers. I have resorted to 4" PVC pipe that extends into the cockpit, it has a 24 hour solar fan that is for summer. In the winter I install two 1-1/2" plastic hoses lead into the bow and cockpit to guarantee air in, I also add 110 volt 3" fan inserted in the cockpit pipe which runs constant along with the solar during the storage period, I also cover the tow cover over with one of those cheapy blue tarps. Anytime during the winter you can walk up to mt boat and put your nose by the pipes outlet it smell fresh and clean! No way will moisture work its way into anything in my boat.
Phil
I have seen this "setup" in action and it works extremely well.

Ken

hardcrab
10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I built a portable garage for very little $.
I bent 5 conduit arches (barn roof shape) using 3/4" tube, and ran a few 1/2" conduit horizontally attached with self drilling screws. The arches were placed over pipe staked into the ground to keep the structure stable in the wind.
I pulled polypropeline rope across the roof area to keep the tarp from sagging (then added the tarp) tied it to the lower horizontal tubes.
I made it several feet longer on both ends , without end panels / doors .
Inside is very dry and freeflowing vent. This will be it's 2nd winter, I'll just replace tarps as needed.
The original idea was to have an area for grinding and glasswork outside of the garage. I've got box fans at both ends (pulling and pushing) creating a wind tunnel. It's very effective at dust removal.

RickSE
10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Buy a Transhield shipping cover from the factory or a vendor. I have two, the original cover is on the boat over the winter in the garage and the second has been to FL & back, then TX & back to protect the boat on the road. They're pretty good covers, waterproof shrink-wrap, ventilated and felt lined on the inside. They also fit the boat very tight, down to the chine; Todd called mine the boat condom in TX. If you're interested I'll get the Transhield number off mine for a 22C.

I've also stored my boat outside year-round under a 27x10 King Canopy (http://www.kingcanopy.com/10x27universalcanopy.htm) with end and side walls. Here in AZ the canopies last about 3-years before the sun takes its toll on the material. The new cover is then about $100 since the frame is still good.

BUIZILLA
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Rick, tell me about that truck... I used to have a C20 Longhorn the same color... if I could find another but in 4wd, i'd be all over it... I have had several 70-72's C10 and C20's... mostly C10 shorty's...

MOP
10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Is that the same truck that was at the Mt Dora show???? Think so as you had just picked up the boat from Donzi.

Phil

RickSE
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes MOP, same truck. I actually took this picture in Amarillo on my way to FL in January.

BUIZILLA, like my Olds this is a special truck, at least to me. My dad ordered & bought this truck new. 1971 C30 Cheyenne Longhorn with the extended bed, all original accept for the tires, battery, etc. 402 BBC, HD 4-speed manual, 4.(something big):1 locker rear end, A/C, PS, PB, AM, original wood bed. The truck also has 5-gas tanks @ 21-22 gallons each and can go about 1,200 miles before needing a fill-up. This was our camper when I was a kid and I also have the original Coachman cab-over that goes with the truck. The camper is so big that the door is actually on the side instead of the back. Unfortunately the camper needs a total rebuild but it's staying with the truck and will be rebuilt soon. This truck has never let my down. I picked it up at my dad's house in MD in 2003 w/61K original miles. It hadn't been driven in years so I changed the oil, put new tires on, filled it with gas and drove it back to AZ with no problems. I delivered Blueliner's Aronow to Vancouver with this truck and it took my boat to Sarasota and back this year. It doesn't go real fast w/o overdrive but it pulls like a bull and can carry just about anything you can put in the bed.

BUIZILLA
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM
yup, my Longhorn was a 402, auto, white belt with moldings, Super Cheyenne, tach, tilt, gauges, 4.10's, 8.75x16.5's (?), with am-fm, and the little tool box w/door in the side of the bed... if I could find a 70-72 C20 in 4wd i'd drive cross country to get it...

hardcrab
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
"Outdoor winter storage, How to cover a boat?"

zimm17
10-12-2007, 03:36 PM
"Outdoor winter storage, How to cover a boat?"

sweet post.... did you forget to type something?

hardcrab
10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
sweet post.... did you forget to type something?
Yeah, I forgot to tell you all about my truck.

so I get all my rep points knocked off for that? At least I stayed on the topic.

How can my post be considered negative when others fill the thread with completely unrelated material ? That should be another discussion or PM.
This is just stupid.

Tony
10-12-2007, 07:35 PM
About $300 for the summer enclosure pictured...12' x 26' not counting the tongue sock to accomodate a 22'! Not good for a snow load, but real good for rain and ventilation. Plus, you can unzip the door and visit all winter long!

Winter storage is in an old chicken coop/barn, real dry and comes with barn cats to keep any little rodents away. Concrete floor, though, so I run the tires up on 5' long 2 x 12's to prevent the concrete from wicking moisture into my new tires. With a bag of charcoal briquettes spread throughout the boat there is zero moisture under my cover.

Drive in down position, wipe rubber hoses and parts with 302 Aerospace Proctectant, silicone spray outside engine, pure RV anti-freeze inside engine, 1/3 tank of fuel w/ Stabil. No reason for that..just what was left at years end!

zimm17
10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I forgot to tell you all about my truck.
so I get all my rep points knocked off for that? At least I stayed on the topic.
How can my post be considered negative when others fill the thread with completely unrelated material ? That should be another discussion or PM.
This is just stupid.

Don't slam me, I didn't take any rep points from ya. I just remarked on your comment :)

I learned my lesson from making fun of Big Gizz's spelling...

hardcrab
10-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't slam me, I didn't take any rep points from ya. I just remarked on your comment :)

I learned my lesson from making fun of Big Gizz's spelling...
I was definatly NOT slamming you. My remarks were defending your original topic to this thread. I was NOT being mean spirited- DEFINATLY misunderstood.
I am learning the lesson here.:confused::confused:

f_inscreenname
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Custom made (by me) blue tarp. Just cut it down and stitch it up.:yes:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6171/shantytownun4.jpg
The arrows are to my old garage.

VetteLT193
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I was definatly NOT slamming you. My remarks were defending your original topic to this thread. I was NOT being mean spirited- DEFINATLY misunderstood.
I am learning the lesson here.:confused::confused:

I don't worry about rep points (and have none, because I think I've manged to argue a bit with everyone here, but that is what a forum is for... peoples experience and opinions), but you just got a +1 from me for staying on topic. I don't think they mean much of anything anyway, if they did someone like gcarter (and I could name a bunch more) would have a million rep points.

Zimm: The best winter storage is in my driveway. It doesn't snow here, and it will fit right in with the other 2 Donzi's in the driveway!!! I'll take care of your 22 for ya for free (please drop off with a full tank of gas). The guest room at my house is open for visitation purposes :)

BigGrizzly
10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Zimm, I forgot to tell you I keep the hatch open a little to vent the moisture and drain the exhaust( I have a half system) and put one of those Overton moisture things in the bilge and plug it in-100 watts I guess. I for got about the charcoal. That was an old thing for storing cars until all the new de- moisturizing products. I think I will go back to the charcoal myself. As for the rep points like vet says don't worry about them. That incident has brought us all closer together. Quite frankly we all being friends is worth more than any rep points could be. Look how much money it has saved us all!!! Look how much fun you had at Cumberland, forget the work.

mphatc
10-16-2007, 07:06 PM
You guys have "covered" all the points except the guys in the cold frozen north, where the wind and snow blow and the temps are freaking low . .

Snow and cold, more snow, add a bit of rain and you have a dense heavy load on the boat. To much for a Corsican windshield, and to much for a Classic's flat deck.

I suggest one build an A frame over the length of the boat, add rafters to this with sheetrock strapping, we hold them together by stapling carpet strips to the ends, and this goes over the ridge pole of the A-frame. and have them long enough to rest over the edge of the deck , just past the rub rail. Over the whole thing put a blue plastic tarp. Tie this S E C U R E L Y . . read on :wink:

The A frame sits on the deck, and the tarp holds it all in place . . steep enough so the snow slides off. Open enough so the boat ventilates. I do not leave my summer cover on under this . . and I take the upholstery indoors.

a foot of snow will compact and with a bit of rain the weight is huge, add a few more snow storms and you have a couple of tons resting on the deck, and on the trailer bunks . . hull bottom . . I have seen boats distort under snow loads . .

If some one wants pics, Ihave the set up for our old 24' still in the basement, I'm happy to get some pics.

Mario