PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY got my boat fixed!

zimm17
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Well Monday was my first ride of the year without any problems. I've been breaking down since the AOTH boat outing last spring.

Finally got the fluid temps under control- I ended up with a sea strainer going to the raw pump, then 3x18 oil/power steering cooler, heat exchanger, then out the exhaust. No thermostats.

Eng runs around 140, 160 after a hard run
Oil runs about 100-140, but goes up to 200-210 after a hard run.

I had 290 deg oil and low oil pressure problems before. I found the stock oil cooler was plugged solid with bits of impeller rubber.

I also changed the oil filter adaptor on the block to a side entry 3/4" pipe thread model, AN-12 aeroquip fittings with push-lock AQP hose, and a dana marine oil filter mount on the transom using a ford style K&N filter.

My oil pressure went from 5 psi at idle to 40. Running pressure is up from 30 to 50psi. That thread on offshoreonly.com about the stock merc oil system only having 3/8" oil passages that choke oil pressure was dead on.

I ran 85mph on GPS and was still accelerating when I ran out of room. I'm sure there's a couple more MPH there.

I checked the air/fuel ratios- I'm idling at 10.3:1 which is too rich. From 1000-4700rpm I'm running 11:1 which is nice and fat for a blower motor. 4800-5100 was 12:1 which is still OK. I'll get the ECU tweaked just a bit more and it should be perfect.

I'm sooooo happy! Now I need to get a few more rides in before I have to winterize it.

I'll get some pics up after I'm done polishing the anti-freeze spots off the whipple blower and valve cover breathers- that made a mess when it overheated last time.

gcarter
10-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Good going!!!!
You got it right this time!:)

yeller
10-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Very nice indeed!
How do like the new dual side mount controls? If I remember correctly, you had the livorsi's earlier but the throttle wouldn't hold it's position.

zimm17
10-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Very nice indeed!
How do like the new dual side mount controls? If I remember correctly, you had the livorsi's earlier but the throttle wouldn't hold it's position.

The dana throttle is awesome. I had to really crank up the friction to hold position, but it works. I really, really like the separate gear shifter. Now it's so much easier to blip the throttle when starting a cold engine without having to pull the old throttle out with too hands. Too bad it's sooo expensive.

CHACHI
10-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Well Monday was my first ride of the year without any problems. I've been breaking down since the AOTH boat outing last spring.
Finally got the fluid temps under control- I ended up with a sea strainer going to the raw pump, then 3x18 oil/power steering cooler, heat exchanger, then out the exhaust. No thermostats.
Eng runs around 140, 160 after a hard run
Oil runs about 100-140, but goes up to 200-210 after a hard run.
Greg, your oil temp is a bit low. 180 is a nice temp to "burn" off any condensate from the oil. 210 is the test temp in the lab for the "high" side if the viscosity. Another 40 degrees wouldn't hurt.
Ken

BigGrizzly
10-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Greg that is a nice way to end the season. I think that you will hit about 88 MPH soon. I didn't realize you had 3/8 lines! As for the oil temp Racer supply in indy sells a thermostat that for the oil to the cooler that uses AN 12 lines. thisw will give a more even oil temp. What are you going to do when your problems go away?

Sam
10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
85 mph :yes: Sweet !

The Hedgehog
10-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Nice work. You should be very happy with that now.

zimm17
10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Pictures posted in the engine pics forum!

yeller
10-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think I've heard of anyone on this site using the Fusion on a 22 before. How do you like it? Is it stock and did you do some prop testing before deciding on that one?

zimm17
10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think I've heard of anyone on this site using the Fusion on a 22 before. How do you like it? Is it stock and did you do some prop testing before deciding on that one?

I did some prop testing with Big Griz at the last AOTH gathering in Lake Cumberland.

I had been running a 25p mirage plus or a 25p turbo 3 blade laser. When I put the shorty lower outdrive on, I couldn't get on plane anymore. Guess it needs a a 4 blade.

I tested several, but the top two were the fusion IV and hydromotive Q-IV. The fusion was 7mph faster at 3500rpm and had a 1mph higher top speed. I think i t was a 23p but I can't remember. When I added the blower, griz told me that the 29p was what I needed. Works great.

yeller
10-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Wow, 7mph is a huge difference. Worth it right there, regardless of the extra 1mph up top. I assume the fusion and q4 were the same pitch prop. Do you remember the rpm difference between the 2? I'm curious as to how much difference the 3/4" dia makes on the q4. Did you notice any handling difference on the 2 props?

zimm17
10-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Wow, 7mph is a huge difference. Worth it right there, regardless of the extra 1mph up top. I assume the fusion and q4 were the same pitch prop. Do you remember the rpm difference between the 2? I'm curious as to how much difference the 3/4" dia makes on the q4. Did you notice any handling difference on the 2 props?

Yes, it was 43mh vs 50 at 3500rpm. Handling was better with the fusion. The fusion also gets on place with no trim tabs- the other props didn't do that. Remember this is with a 2" shorty lower.

Go with Big Griz to buy the prop- he has good prices and service.

yeller
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Zimm. Yes, I'll definately be dealing with BigGrizzly (or MadPoodle) next spring. Can't go wrong dealing with either of them.

Gotta ask you again, because I'm really curious. Do you remember if there was a rpm difference at full throttle between the 2?

BTW: I think you made the right choice redoing your boat as opposed to going new. Compared to my 04, it sure seems like the older hulls can handle the speed better. It's a pretty rare day that I can run even close to 80. Way, way to squirrly.

zimm17
10-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think the hulls are any different- The external steering made all the difference in the world.

If I could rank my mods- they would go in this order:

1) full hyd external steering
2) Dash with gauges
3) Whipple blower
4) closed loop cooling
5) everything else

As for rpms, they both pulled to 5000rpm with my carb'd 454 magnum and dana exhaust- probably right around 400HP.

yeller
10-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I think the difference is in the weights and more importantly the center of gravity. The older ones do seem to be more stable. FarmerTX's 22 is (I believe) an 88 and he hated driving mine. Couldn't keep it stable.
I can't see being able to ever run mine into the 80's consistently. I did put full hydraulic on, but it only made a minor difference. Unless the water is absolutely dead calm, I'll get a bit a porpoising at top speed. That combined with the prop torque adds up to a wicked little hop and roll situation. Has to be experienced to be fully understood and enjoyed. :wink::)

One other thing. Where did you get the dash mount gauge pods?

zimm17
10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Dash pods are Autometer carbon fiber pods. I then got some stainless bolts to replace the zinc ones. I also used the red trim rings I had- although they look fine without them.

farmer tx
10-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeller, It's an 86' and yes yours was a handfull:)

srlbrodkin
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Great to hear problems fixed. What AFR gauge meter are you running in dash or just plug in temp???

Bruce

zimm17
10-15-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

LM-1 with wideband O2 sensor. Dana marine welded a bung into my riser. I only install it once on the water and remove it after testing. I killed a $70 sensor from water getting on it.