PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Info for school...

steven s
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I am doing a powerpoint about boats for my engineering class and I need some info.One thing is on how trim effects boats.I know what happends but I can't explain it very well .And I was wondering if anybody had pictures of a boat trimmed in, an one trimmed out.I looked up marine engineering and it is very broad.It is for any thing that deals with water.Is the any more specific type.I all so need a example of a poorly engineered boat.Any pictures of a boat would be greatly appreciated.And is there any way to put a video on power point.

Steven

VetteLT193
10-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I am doing a powerpoint about boats for my engineering class and I need some info.One thing is on how trim effects boats.I know what happends but I can't explain it very well .And I was wondering if anybody had pictures of a boat trimmed in, an one trimmed out.I looked up marine engineering and it is very broad.It is for any thing that deals with water.Is the any more specific type.I all so need a example of a poorly engineered boat.Any pictures of a boat would be greatly appreciated.And is there any way to put a video on power point.
Steven

You may want to try to get copies of the latest ship shape TV and/or Reggie Fountain's Powerboat TV show (Don't remember the exact name of that one).

both series have video and explanation of the trim you are talking about.

Bennett has a trim simulator on their site as well, but I am sure it's aimed at trim tabs: http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/simulator.htm

When you explain engine trim it's easiest relative to bow. Trim in, bow down. Trim out, bow up.

Hope that helps, good luck on the project

steven s
10-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks VetteLT193

zelatore
10-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I all so need a example of a poorly engineered boat.Steven

For the poorly engineered boat, may I suggest any production Bayliner (aka bottomliner), but especially something from the 80's.

I can't believe nobody took the bait! :shades:

VetteLT193
10-10-2007, 11:45 AM
For the poorly engineered boat, may I suggest any production Bayliner (aka bottomliner), but especially something from the 80's.
I can't believe nobody took the bait! :shades:

I agree... the mid 80's bayliners are appropriately named. The main purpose they serve is to line the bottom of the bay :)

The question itself is hard to answer though. Does engineering = build quality? It can be argued that late 90's/early '00's Viking and Hatteras yachts were poorly engineered, although very well built, because of the dated hull designs that simply pushed weight through water.

Ranman
10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Does this help?

gcarter
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
For poorly engineered boat...try Googling the "Vasa" which was a "ship of the line" in the 1620's that capsized on her maiden voyage because she was built too top heavy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_%28ship%29

BUIZILLA
10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
you can always try to explain how trim affects displacement hulls... :propeller:

steven s
10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the input...

Rootsy
10-11-2007, 06:22 AM
what engineering course are you doing this presentation for?

steven s
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
what engineering course are you doing this presentation for?

I am in high school in 10th grade.The course is called Principals of Engineering