PDA

View Full Version : Odd Garage Question, anyone ever do this?

chappy
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm planning on building a garage. Due to zoning and permit bs, I can't build it as large as I want. My question is, has anyone ever cut a hole in the back wall of their garage and built a dog house size enclosure for the outdrive and tabs to increase storage space at the front of the garage? It seems a little odd, but could help with space. Anyone ever try this?

Rich

boxy
10-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Chappy, I think Carl did it with an exterior wall, and Cuda did it with an interior wall........

Bob
10-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes. Very easy to do. I had to store my tow car in a 1950's garage that was 20" short. If it's new construction, frame it in like a low window and leave lots of clearance from the ground to the bottom (sill plate) of the "doghouse".
It will never make Better Home and Gardens so do your neighbors a favor and plant a shrub or two to hide it.

f_inscreenname
10-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Then do this every now and then.:yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSf_apKzyM

Craig S
10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Anyone ever try this?
Rich

I'm getting ready to. I am about 16" short of parking two vehicles end to end to free up boat space.

smbarcelow
10-09-2007, 08:47 AM
I'd build the "dog house" after you get your final municipal inspection.

yeller
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Chappy, I think Carl did it with an exterior wall, and Cuda did it with an interior wall........Boxy is correct. CarlC punched out an exterior wall to fit his boat in. He posted a pic of it here before. Contact him and I'm sure he'd get pics for you.

smoothie
10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I did mine 24" deep X 72" high X 96" wide and put a shed roof on the outside...now I have plenty of walking room around the front of the trailer.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25512&d=1164735403

Jraysray
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Then do this every now and then.:yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSf_apKzyM

Now thats what I am talking about! The problem for me would be the exhaust in the house. Smells good to me but not her.:( The water might be an issue as well...

chappy
10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all of the input. And to think I was told by a co-worker, "Nobody cuts a hole in the back of their garage to make more room for a boat, just throw a tarp on it and leave it in the yard". Glad I asked.................:idea:

Rich

yeller
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all of the input. And to think I was told by a co-worker, "Nobody cuts a hole in the back of their garage to make more room for a boat, just throw a tarp on it and leave it in the yard". Glad I asked.................:idea:
RichSounds like a none boat owner to me. :yes:

Smoothie, what are you using for flooring in your garage? On my screen, it looks like a top quality oak or birch plywood, but I'm sure it's not.

maddad
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Chappy, if the garage is still in the planning/permit stages, consider this. I had a customer with a similar problem. He wanted more depth, with a width he needed, but the square footage was to much for the lot. The garage was designed with a 6' awning/overhang front and back, and doors front and back. Once all the inspections were done, someone went there and removed the back doors, and added 3 walls closer to the edge of the roofline. It looks just like someone planned it and could easily be changed back.

smoothie
10-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a none boat owner to me. :yes:
Smoothie, what are you using for flooring in your garage? On my screen, it looks like a top quality oak or birch plywood, but I'm sure it's not.

Yeller,its concrete with tan floor epoxy paint...I do a lot of woodworking and the dust sweeps up better,the one wall is good old T1-11 wood siding that was an outside wall before I added on.

Craig S
10-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Rich

And it they are boat owners, those are the kind of boats that are either left abandoned, or go to the landfill.

Cuda
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, I did it with an interior wall. My garage is 30 wide, by 40 long, but the back 12 feet are partioned off so there is an insulated work shop. The 22 would fit in it straight, so I cut out about a 3 foot x 3 foot hole, then boxed it in with some left over starboard and plywood I had. It's about three feet deep also. When you look at it from the starboard side, it looks like a small chest freezer. I'd post a pic, but unfortunately, I lost all my pics with a computer meltdown a couple months ago. :(