PDA

View Full Version : Water finally!

Cuda
10-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I live on a canal off the St John's River. The water has been way low for the past two years. We never got much rain last summer. We've been having quite a bit of hard rain the last couple weeks. The water has been averaging three feet below my dock. Yesterday, it was about a half inch over it! It's about time. We sure needed it.

gcarter
10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I stopped by the Leesburg City ramp on Friday and looked around as I haven't been there since March. There was a fish boat being trailered and I asked the owner if the water was any higher. He told me it was up at least a foot.
When I first put the Minx in there three years ago, you could step directly onto the aft deck w/no difference in elevation. When I sold it on March, you had to sit on the dock and drop onto the aft deck.
We're still down significantly on rain. Hopefully we'll recover w/o any severe storms. Also, I hope the Corps won't drop the water so fast after the lakes recover.

dfunde01
10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
This is a picture of my dock on Lake Hartwell GA / SC. It was down 7' here. It is now down 8.5'. Lake Lanier GA is down 11', Lake Altoona down 14'. North GA is drying up. Total ban on outdoor watering. The Governor just issued a short shower message. I was hoping he would push showering together.

Dave

p729lws
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I live on a canal off the St John's River. The water has been way low for the past two years. We never got much rain last summer. We've been having quite a bit of hard rain the last couple weeks. The water has been averaging three feet below my dock. Yesterday, it was about a half inch over it! It's about time. We sure needed it.

Should the transom of the AL boat be under water?:tongue:

VetteLT193
10-08-2007, 09:55 AM
This is a picture of my dock on Lake Hartwell GA / SC. It was down 7' here. It is now down 8.5'. Lake Lanier GA is down 11', Lake Altoona down 14'. North GA is drying up. Total ban on outdoor watering. The Governor just issued a short shower message. I was hoping he would push showering together.

Dave

WOW to that pic. I thought Tallahassee was dry, but I have more water stuck in my bilge than that lake has!

gold-n-rod
10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Joe: All your extra water must have drained down from Lake Michigan. It's especially low. The inland lake I boated on yesterday (Crystal) is so low, I nudged bottom on the way from the landing. An old timer watching me load afterward says the last time Crystal was this low was 1961.

Back then, I would have pooped my pants at the sight of that.......... oh wait, I was pooping my pants anyway!!!!! :bonk:

Sam
10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Deep water is a good thing :yes:. I had to pull my Doniz off the lift early this year for fear it might have to spend the winter on it. I just don't get it, we recently lost 6" to 8" of water in a matter of 10 days or so in the Lk St Clair area. I swear there is more to this than just mother nature :confused:.

gcarter
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Deep water is a good thing :yes:. I had to pull my Doniz off the lift early this year for fear it might have to spend the winter on it. I just don't get it, we recently lost 6" to 8" of water in a matter of 10 days or so in the Lk St Clair area. I swear there is more to this than just mother nature :confused:.
In '86, I was contracting in MI. and the water was quite high. In Chicago the shore front was washing away. Everyone was blaming the Corps!!!!
Ya just can't make people happy. Besides, it always goes back to what it was at a former time, whichever way it is.

Last Tango
10-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I also live on the St. Johns River. My area (Fruit Cove) has had 31 inches of rain in the last 20 days.
In the past Spring, we had no rain for almost 45 days, then the usual summer showers in the afternoon, and now daily monsoons. We finally got a break yesterday morning, long enough to mow the lawn.
Some folks are crying Global Warming. However NONE of the changes has yet to effect or set any new all time recorded high, lows, droughts, flooding. In fact, during the last 150 years, it has been worse for longer several other times. Although the North Pole seems to be thawing a bit, it does not change the pattern that has been going on for the last 10,000 years since the height of the last Ice Age (and there have been HUNDREDS of these Ice Ages over he life of the earth). And if you pay any attention to the news, you will also find out that the Southern Hemisphere is experiencing the coldest temperatures ever recorded there. And snow in Argentina.
This just goes to show was a tiny spec of time Man has been on this earth and the fraction of a millisecond he has been recording weather. Just because you haven't seen it different in your lifetime, doesn't mean it hasn't been before (or after) you.

gcarter
10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Mark is right, the worst hottest weather in the last century was in the 30's.

mrfixxall
10-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Dave

Does this mean you get a tax brake due to you no longer have water front propertie?:wink:

Here in chi town boating has been perfect :) :)

CHACHI
10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Put my father in laws Grady away for the season two weeks ago, the St Lawrence is so low we had to pull it the last 4 feet to get the boat on the lift.
It is the lowest I have seen in 12 years.
Ken

RickyR
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Dave

Dave,
It would be a good time to get a backhoe in there, and make you a nice channel, and deep water area around the dock.. I guess night time would be best for this activity.
Ricky

dfunde01
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Dave,
It would be a good time to get a backhoe in there, and make you a nice channel, and deep water area around the dock.. I guess night time would be best for this activity.
Ricky

I suspect that even at night the neighbors left high and dry might feel it necessary to call our friendly Corp Ranger.

Cuda
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Should the transom of the AL boat be under water?:tongue:
Three or four weeks ago, you could walk around behind it without getting your feet wet. It's down about an inch today.

I crossed Little Lake Harris on SR 19 this evening, and it still looks very low. :(

Cuda
10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I also live on the St. Johns River. My area (Fruit Cove) has had 31 inches of rain in the last 20 days.
In the past Spring, we had no rain for almost 45 days, then the usual summer showers in the afternoon, and now daily monsoons. We finally got a break yesterday morning, long enough to mow the lawn.
Some folks are crying Global Warming. However NONE of the changes has yet to effect or set any new all time recorded high, lows, droughts, flooding. In fact, during the last 150 years, it has been worse for longer several other times. Although the North Pole seems to be thawing a bit, it does not change the pattern that has been going on for the last 10,000 years since the height of the last Ice Age (and there have been HUNDREDS of these Ice Ages over he life of the earth). And if you pay any attention to the news, you will also find out that the Southern Hemisphere is experiencing the coldest temperatures ever recorded there. And snow in Argentina.
This just goes to show was a tiny spec of time Man has been on this earth and the fraction of a millisecond he has been recording weather. Just because you haven't seen it different in your lifetime, doesn't mean it hasn't been before (or after) you.

I agree Mark. Also, I'd like to know who had thermometers that accurate 10,000 years ago. Oh, by the way, if you listen to the newsies, the sky is falling also.:bonk: