PDA

View Full Version : Quick DONZI owner story

slamdry
10-06-2007, 07:23 PM
So i just want to share a quick story about how once you own a donzi you always remember that boat.
So today i was up in Lake George for the anual Lage George Power boat Asso. poker run and in the morning a older gentalman in a beautiful hacker craft waves me down and starts asking me a few questions about my boat. Then he says "yep i thought so.. i used to own that boat, and my friend it was a blast." So after talking a bit he told me that it was nice to see the boat back on the lake and we went our ways.
THEN i stopped back to the docks to see some fo the boats come back and a second older man comes over and starts asking similar questions and he said "I knew i recognized that boat. I baught it new from pilot knob marina." So we talked a while longer and he told me soem great stories of the boat and how much fun he had in it. I tried to get him to go for a ride and even take the boat for a ride but he didnt want to, he told me about his classic 22 he had now and then said how he was glad to see the boat back on the lake and also that he expected to see me at the dust of with it.

SO i guess Donzi's leave a lasting impression on their owners. Just htought i would share that. :)

BigGrizzly
10-07-2007, 08:41 AM
There are more than 30 board members That have seen or have ridden in classics and had to own them when they grew up. This is why Donzi owners are family. Great story, you have made at least two people happy that day

TXDONZI
10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
What would have been really cool would be get all of you together with the boat and take a generation photo with her and have a signed document and picture stating three of her owners with photos. That would a great addition to her history log in the future.

Tt

Donzi LG
10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
slamdry, did you just purchase that Donzi and have it painted? Was it green and now it's a different color? I'm wondering if that's my uncle's Donzi, the one that started the dream for me. If the Hacker's name was "Peggy" then was him.

John

slamdry
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
yep this is that boat, and no it has not been painted it is still the forest green that it always was. It was good to meet your uncle and im glad i could get this boat back to our little lake :)

Donzi LG
10-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Brian, here's a couple of photos of your boat that I took in 1982!! I remembered I had these so I scanned them. That boat is so cool, I'm glad its back on LG.
John

barrukis1
10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
That was the very first Donzi I had I ever been in as well. I want to say it was in the mid to late 70's. That boat used to make some awesome passes by my family's house. I live a few doors down from "Peggy", thats a beautiful boat as well.

Sweet little 16
10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
No Forrest!! grumble green is the color do you have a hull number I was going thru the pics of the poker run and saw the green 16 off the docks also saw a yellow 18 wonder who that was from what i hear alot of the lake george donzi classic club members where there for the run

slamdry
10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
first off thank you for the pics from 82, any other pics you may have wopuld be awsome to see as well if there may be any parts or peices laying around anyplace.

second the hull number is 16-609 and im also very glad to have it back on lake george, any of you that rode in iot once that want a rememberance pass and see me out just wave me down, i was so pleased to hear the great stories of the boat and would be more then happy to go for a ride with any of you.

and the yellow one that was off by the docks i beleive was the teal 18 that ted had and it was painted yellow, if you see it up close i beleive you will see it still has the teal piping on the interior.

slamdry
10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
No Forrest!! grumble green is the color do you have a hull number I was going thru the pics of the poker run and saw the green 16 off the docks also saw a yellow 18 wonder who that was from what i hear alot of the lake george donzi classic club members where there for the run

were can i see the pics from the run?? are they online somewere??

RedDog
10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
There are more than 30 board members That have seen or have ridden in classics and had to own them when they grew up. This is why Donzi owners are family. Great story, you have made at least two people happy that day

Yep - I saw and rode in my first one in the '67 - '69 time frame on Wilson Lake, AL. That would have put me at 10 - 12 years old. It was solid red 18 with a white stripe. Best I remember, it had a 289 Ford in it.

Donzi LG
10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Ahh, that's where the repaint thought came from; I got that mixed up with the teal one that was my cousin's. I remember looking at pics of it after it was painted. I'm glad the original green is still there!! I'll see if I can get some more pics from my uncle, I know he has a few. I used to sit in that boat as a kid and dream of someday owning a Donzi so that boat has always had a special place in my heart! What condition is it in now?

Donzi LG
10-08-2007, 05:34 PM
That was the very first Donzi I had I ever been in as well. I want to say it was in the mid to late 70's. That boat used to make some awesome passes by my family's house. I live a few doors down from "Peggy", thats a beautiful boat as well.

With one of my crazy cousins at the wheel, no doubt!! :)

slamdry
10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
i would say that for the boat beeing 37 years old, and used for 37 years, its in really good condition. It does have some stress cracks in the gel, and a bunch of the snaps are missing, interior is ok, one seat cusion is not original and the captains chair is in need of some love. But over all its in very useable condition and it runs awsome. I had more fun in that boat the bast couple of weeks then i have had ina boat in a long time.. Something about breaking 50mph in a 16ft boat that kind of gets you excited :wink:

barrukis1
10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
With one of my crazy cousins at the wheel, no doubt!!

Teddy, Mike and maybe Jackie a few times?

slamdry
10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
here is a link to the pictures i took at the poker run.

http://24.29.5.67/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=102156

Carpe Donzi
10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
How can it be that nobody asked: what was the highest GPS speed of the day?
Got to get back to watching the Bills serve Dallas some more whoop-ass.

TXDONZI
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
What year, model and size is this? What years were they produced? Looks much wider than the Classic and roomy too.

Tt

p729lws
10-08-2007, 10:50 PM
What year, model and size is this? What years were they produced? Looks much wider than the Classic and roomy too.
Tt

Looks like a Cig 20.

Dan

BigGrizzly
10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I believe it is Ken's Cig 20 with one of my props on it.

slamdry
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
that was a 20ft cig and i beleive he said it was late 60's. and man, that boat FLEW!! i paid close attention to him when he went by up while we were watching.

Sweet little 16
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
How can it be that nobody asked: what was the highest GPS speed of the day?
Got to get back to watching the Bills serve Dallas some more whoop-ass.

spoke to a friend who went to the run they went as fast as the pace boat no faster passing the pace boat was big trouble and when asked everyone said the pace boat didn't go any more than 45 mph , yes that is their story and they are sticking to it
they also said the black cig ran well and was in airborne most of the time in the wakes of the bigger boats

slamdry
10-10-2007, 04:40 PM
well supposably once they got past Dome island they said they were going to turn them loose. But because of the rain i didnt stick around to find out if it actaully happened or not

Dr. Dan
10-11-2007, 05:19 AM
:wink:The Run was awesome.... little rough but not as bad as Sarasota was the weekend before.... we were able to run pretty good towards Rogers Rock and back South to the narrows... then the congestion alone slowed us down....

There are pics on OSO and on Speedwake ... it was a fun run and I would do it again... they need to break up the lunch stops..cuz the restaurant could not handle an instant 400 Customers... but it was still fun.

Kennys boat is awesome...I ran with him most of the run.. it was definitely a crowd pleaser....so was Scotts and mine...they loved seeing our Classics on the water.

We had Haver, Nuebauer, Pearson, Kenny, Myself and a few random donzis... among 111 Offshore Boats with 114 registered. They broke us into groups with staggered starts.

Rain did not spoil the run...it cam after 4pm... it did disperse the Raft Up at the Algonklin Rest quickly.

Doc :)

kjly63
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
spoke to a friend who went to the run they went as fast as the pace boat no faster passing the pace boat was big trouble and when asked everyone said the pace boat didn't go any more than 45 mph , yes that is their story and they are sticking to it
they also said the black cig ran well and was in airborne most of the time in the wakes of the bigger boats

A little late on the reply, but.....Matty and I took a good beating:smash: that day. We made a passenger seat repair on the way and borrowed a pfd from Dr Dan after my pull cord cought the steering wheel and blew up. Was glad no-one had a camera out for that.

I can't wait to see the pictures:eek!: A couple of times Matty thought we were gonna hit the helicoptor. I beat the absolute pss out of that boat that day.......you can't kill em.

can't wait til next yr.

Kenny