PDA

View Full Version : Portholes ???

BUIZILLA
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
what's with this new car craze, and portholes everywhere??

ricers, Excursion's, cab's, limo's....

I thought portholes were for cruise ships and blow boats??? and a Buick or two.. :wink:

VetteLT193
10-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I haven't noticed that trend around here, except for the good ol' T-Birds:)

gcarter
10-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I read that after Bob Lutz was hired to clean up the image of the GM products, i.e., all the Pontiac body cladding was removed, etc, that the Buick design studio asked him for permission to include portholes. Lutz said "no way" until it was brought to his attention that Maseratti had included them in some of their new models. After that he told Buick to "put them on everything".

BUIZILLA
10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
i'm talking about these new stick on's you get at the local parts whorehouse's...

donzi182003
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Pics? I think I may know what you are referring to but I am not sure. I have seen those spaceship looking satellites on the big SUV's but haven't seen these portholes.

MOP
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
As we used to call them "Buick Rat Holes", I remember reading about an old buick that some gangster rigged with guns in the rat holes. I had a 57 Road Master that was desert beige with a robins egg blue leather interior, talk about a "snapper trapper" that ti was. Wish I still had it, it would be worth a few bucks now. One like it pictured below.

Phil

BUIZILLA
10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
my parents had a '55 or '56 Skylark hardtop with fender portholes, my dad put little red lights in there that were wired to the parking lights... it started a mini craze down here... I was only 3 or 4 at the time and still vaguely remember it... then my grandfather got a light blue 58 J2 (?) Olds conv w/tri power that had at least 2 tons of chrome moldings...

anyways, apparently this is the new local porthole fad, they are EVERYWHERE, I just had a kid in here with an Accord and he stuck 6 of them on the front fender... :confused: :convertib:

mrfixxall
10-05-2007, 08:31 PM
As we used to call them "Buick Rat Holes", I remember reading about an old buick that some gangster rigged with guns in the rat holes. I had a 57 Road Master that was desert beige with a robins egg blue leather interior, talk about a "snapper trapper" that ti was. Wish I still had it, it would be worth a few bucks now. One like it pictured below.
Phil

i remember my father had one of then,,red with white interior and a white convert top....that thing had a huge grill on the front of it and it looked mean..