PDA

View Full Version : 16 Thoughts

MOP
10-04-2007, 07:10 AM
So as not to muddy the very good thread "16 vs 18" a new post on some thoughts I have about the 16, most here know I had mine 3 years and agree it is nothing short of a great little boat.

I always wondered why on the later models with more power they left the infamous 16 hook in the boat, which helped the early lower powered boats to plane off quicker. Many say it makes no real difference as it is out of the water at speed, having run and run next to countless 16's I differ on that. The only time the hook stays completely out of the water is when running on a "Mirror", the slightest chop blows the other theory to heck. I always felt it contributed to the also infamous porpoising and hurt performance a bit. Has anyone every removed it? All and any other thoughts always apprecisted.

Phil

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
don't really like my hook. boat porpoises like a sob between 30-40 mph. chine walks over 53. trim tabs take care of both problems but at the cost of efficiency and speed.

BigGrizzly
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Phil The 18 and the 22 have the same problem. Until they introduced the wedged top it had and still does the slow plaining issue. It only helps and doesn't affect top speed at all. Remove it and handling issues come up in that it handles way different at cruising speeds. If you run them back to back you will see. BTDT!!!

MOP
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies, it was more of a curiosity question to get opinions and to see if someone had tried it. Back when I had the 16 I had thoughts of laying glass from the inside then grinding the hook out, I felt then and still do to a point that it may help.

A bit more when it starts to chine walk as it oscillates from side to side the hook may help to kick it back the other way there by increasing the walk.

Phil

yeller
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I agree with you MOP that the hook is almost never out of the water. You have to get the boat pretty darn high for that to happen. I'd often thought about removing it, but never did.

DW, I never, ever had a porpoising issue and only once did it chine walk in 18yrs. No tabs on the boat and max speed was 60. Mine however was a jet drive, so the weight load would be totally different.

smoothie
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont think you are ridiing that low in the water at WOT...what you are seeing is the spray coming from where it is riding...which shoots out where the hook is...really think about how low the whole boat would have to be in the water to ride on the hook...it would look like an ice breaker going through the water..at slower speeds the rear of the boat will settle in to the hook and the nose of the boat lifts up...now this is where the hook comes into play to keep the nose down and the boat riding level...genus isnt it...:yes:

Sweet little 16
10-04-2007, 01:56 PM
porpoising and chine walking is strictly caused by THE PROP so jet boats seldom porpoise and with the right prop the 16 handles very well, the hook I would guess when under way at higher speeds has the same effect on the hull as the reversed chines do on a 22 they are only in the spray, the 16 actually runs quicker more stable with a little more wetted surface or you can go faster more stable so i think the hook helps cause if it is in play it pulls down the nose our best gps speeds (61 mph well above the 53 mph service limit in the early boats) have been full fuel 4 people of course you need mild sb power also and a big grizzly prop

VetteLT193
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
porpoising and chine walking is strictly caused by THE PROP so jet boats seldom porpoise and with the right prop the 16 handles very well, the hook I would guess when under way at higher speeds has the same effect on the hull as the reversed chines do on a 22 they are only in the spray, the 16 actually runs quicker more stable with a little more wetted surface or you can go faster more stable so i think the hook helps cause if it is in play it pulls down the nose our best gps speeds (61 mph well above the 53 mph service limit in the early boats) have been full fuel 4 people of course you need mild sb power also and a big grizzly prop

I can tell you have never been on a Bayliner Jazz before. Jet powered porpoise machine.

smoothie
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM

I agree...it would help keep the nose down in rough water and more stable depending on how fast you are going,going above lets say 50 mph the hook may touch the top of a wave but not there long enough to do much.

Sweet little 16
10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I would rather have have my eyes plucked out by fire ants,