PDA

View Full Version : hijacking carls thread

Donziweasel
10-03-2007, 07:10 PM
is powerboating under attack was becoming more of a performance car handling characteristic thread, so here we continue...not that carl would have minded since he bailed out for a while.
the 935 was a slant 930. there were also knock offs like gambella and ruf. i use to love porsches and had a 1984 3.2L carrera. fun as hell to drive, but one of the most unforgiving bastards ever. i never truely pushed it to the edge of it's performance because if it broke loose you were screwed. same with boating, you need to be trained to fully push a 140 mph boat to the limits or you are going to get killed.
buiz, i am still a muscle car fan, and liked a few buicks. i hate to admit it, i liked the 80's grand nationals. i know they weren't the early 70's and late 60's era, but it was about the most potent american muscle car at the time, and that was with a v-6. still pretty damn potent even by todays standards.
other than the usual suspects, like the hemi cudas, roadrunners, challengers, etc.., if i ever restore one, i think i would like a 1971 trans am 455ho w/ 4 speed. i know a hemi cuda or judge gto would kill it off the line, but i just like the way they look. plus, the history is interesting, named for the trans am racing series, but was never designed to run in it.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/71ta001.gif
hey george, getting pretty good at this left handed typing!

osur866
10-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Great cars, the trans ams, had a 79' with 6.6 and a little work inside and beefed up suspension, your right a little slow off the line but for all around handling and top speed it was great, speedo went to 120 and I had it buried way past that a few times. :eek!: Steve

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 06:47 AM
buiz, got some buick trivia for ya. what was the last race and the driver to win in nextel/winston cup in a buick. if i am right, here is a hint- he now works for nascar and had brothers who drove in the series.

Rootsy
10-04-2007, 07:04 AM
buiz, got some buick trivia for ya. what was the last race and the driver to win in nextel/winston cup in a buick. if i am right, here is a hint- he now works for nascar and had brothers who drove in the series.

you might want to give him something a bit more difficult.. it isn't THAT early yet ;)

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
jamie, if you know, throw it out there. we were having some trans-am series trivia in carls is powerboating uder attack thread. while i didn't think the buick question was a real stumper, i thought it might make buiz think a little. hell, i might even be wrong, but i was a fan back then and think i am right.

now for the olds fans. what race and who was the driver who last won a nextel/winston cup race in an oldsmobile? hint-he is now retired and has nothing to do with nascar any more but was a very popular driver even though he never won a championship

VetteLT193
10-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I first read your post and thought you said winston cup championship in a buick... I think that was a loooong time ago, like early 80's.

I think the last Buick to win any race was late 80's.

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
i don't want to give away the answers, but both buick and olds won thier last races in the 90's. the buiick win was controversal as many thought darrell waltrip won the race due to a scoring mix up, but the buick in reality won and was credited with the win.

mrfixxall
10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
69 was my favotite year:) but i ended up with a 70 gto judge convert..

BUIZILLA
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
don't hold your breath on me... :wink: :cool: since those Buick's had Chebby engines, I didn't follow them at all in Winston Cup... now the Stage 2 V6's that were in smaller classes, now that was ultra cool... I was in turbo Buick V6 mode then, and nothing else mattered... when Buddy Ingersoll got tossed from Pro Stock for his turbo V6 creation, I thought self, this is what I want to do.... and so I did...

yeller
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted this under Carl's thread, then saw this one.

About T/A racing:
Don't forget about AMC. They were a major force back in the late 60's early 70's. They won the series in 1970 (I'm pretty sure that was the year). They were also the last manufacturer to compete in the series. Stayed in it long after the big 3 dropped out.

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
buiz, does this mean i stumped ya on the buick trivia?:eek!::)

nice ride fixall!

a dodge dart came in second in the initial 1966 ta series

BUIZILLA
10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
buiz, does this mean i stumped ya on the buick trivia?:eek!::)
Chevy powered Buick's ain't my thing.... find some Buick/Buick matchup's and we'll play ball.. :wink:

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 11:49 AM
point taken, but buick did very well in nascar in the early 80's and 70's. the last win for a buick was in 1990 at north wilksboro by brett bodine. it was his only win.

now, anyone up for the oldsmobile answer?

Stevo440
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
So we have some Turbo Buick guys on here do we. Well I ordered/created my 86GN with all the options/T-top car. I still have it 272,000 miles. I also have 87GN 15,000 miles garage queen. So lets go Turbo Buicks....

Howbout a Turbo Buick V6 powered 22????? 18??? 16???

Steve

chappy
10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
John,

Harry Gant, Michigan, August of '92?

Rich

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 01:58 PM
nicely done chappy! handsom harry gant! never won a championship, but one of the most popular drivers until he retired.

mrfixxall
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
So we have some Turbo Buick guys on here do we. Well I ordered/created my 86GN with all the options/T-top car. I still have it 272,000 miles. I also have 87GN 15,000 miles garage queen. So lets go Turbo Buicks....
Howbout a Turbo Buick V6 powered 22????? 18??? 16???
Steve

could have had one of thease,,a friends uncle defaulted on his loan and offered it to me for the payoff..it was under 9k,,im still kicking my azz for letting it go..

Stevo440
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
The Ultimate Factory GN, The GNX for 9K well now maybe next time you'll jump, cause ya won't be able to sit it out with all the kickin you've gone thru. I passed on one in late 87 or early 88, the dealer in Orlando where I was workin at the time and where I ordered my 86GN from had one he could'nt get rid of so he called me and was gunna let it go for invoice at the time $29k and change if memory serves me correctly but Bein I had the 86GN and it was runnin the same 1/4 mile times as the GNX and mine only cost $18k, I also desided to pass. So when I found the 87GN in 96 with 11.5k miles I jumped on it, not a GNX but close enough.

mrfixxall
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
The Ultimate Factory GN, The GNX for 9K well now maybe next time you'll jump, cause ya won't be able to sit it out with all the kickin you've gone thru. I passed on one in late 87 or early 88, the dealer in Orlando where I was workin at the time and where I ordered my 86GN from had one he could'nt get rid of so he called me and was gunna let it go for invoice at the time $29k and change if memory serves me correctly but Bein I had the 86GN and it was runnin the same 1/4 mile times as the GNX and mine only cost $18k, I also desided to pass. So when I found the 87GN in 96 with 11.5k miles I jumped on it, not a GNX but close enough.

At the time i just couldnt swing another car payment being the age of 24,,i had a callaway twin turbo ragtop corvette that ate u my paycheck between my payment,insurance and keeping fuel in the car:wink:

Stevo440
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
And all the Mags at the time with Callaway vs GNX articles......
So do ya still have it? Or wish you still did.

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
hmmm..... should have never started thinking about gnx's agian, now i want one. looked at ebay and they are still going for $15000-$20000 for a stock one with 40000-50000 miles. 87 was the year, they redesigned the turbo so boost came on quicker. 0-60 in low 5's.

buiz, looks like ya got some buick fans over here, me included. do you have a pic of you or your brothers racer you could post? love to see it.

as far as the nascar chebby engines, hell, they were all the same back in the early 90's. 358 cid small block. you had fords running chebby engines, pontiacs running fords, etc.... only thing gm or ford was the block, everything else was aftermarket.

do have a question for you buiz. the busch series runs v-6's. when buick was in the busch series, did they run and develop thier own v-6 or did they use a chebby? i have no idea, but thought you might know.

"there ain't nothing stock about a stock car" robert duvall, days of thunder

mrfixxall
10-04-2007, 04:44 PM
And all the Mags at the time with Callaway vs GNX articles......
So do ya still have it? Or wish you still did.

i pleed the 5th!! lol dont want to brag but lets say its been sitting in a vacume bag in a airplane hanger.i only has 43000k on it, triple black with greenwood ground effex...the only thing i didnt like about the car was callaway installed a woodgrane kit in the interior that looked like crap..i went through a set of turbos (leaking oil) and the over drive went out..when i would ge the car in high gear i never let off it and would push the buton on the shifter at 6k rpms when i did that that fricken thing would go from 110 to 150 in a matter of seconds..ill try to get some pics the next time i polish the collection..

Stevo440
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Motor Trend 1986 Test:

1986 GN 0-60 4.9sec
1/4 13.9 @ 98 or 99 mph memory foggy
Temp 30-32deg

That article pushed me to order one before the rush on them started....

1987 GNX Turbo had ceramic impeller and a/r of .82 vs stock GN a/r of .67, more efficient intercooler, reprogrammed chip, and a few other goodies.

BUIZILLA
10-04-2007, 04:58 PM
86 and 87 cars used the same turbo, boost was the same from factory.... the 87 GNX came with a ceramic wheel unit that really didn't make any more boost or power, although spool up was minutely better... the 87 moonroof GN was the rarest as was the WE4 Regal in 87, I had an '87 WE4 Turbo T, in 86 it was called a Turbo Regal, my brother had an 87 GN... I literally still have drawers and boxes and shelve's of spare parts, mostly small electrical stuff, hoses, chips, gaskets, TPS, switches, turbo's, downpipes, senders, buttons, ecm's, cables, gauges...... all my pic's are not digitized, they just collect dust on walls as do the myriad of winner plaques... expensive car hobby, especially with a boost knob in the console... mine was around 707hp, give or take a couple, but the A/C still worked great... gotta luv that... best engines I had came from Jim Ruggles, the man was Buick's namesake and in fact did virtually ALL the V6 work for IMSA, SCCA, NASCAR, unbelievable engine genius.... he works for Ernie Elliott now building Dodges I think... I think in 1993-1994 I was in the top 8 or 9 in the country, but my wallet couldn't take it so back to GS's I went in 1995 but raced the Regal until the late 90's... a low 10 second air conditioned aluminum headed T62 turbo Stage 1 Regal in 1992 was the MacDaddy **** and that's what I had... also, in Oct 1992 I bought the last 45, yes forty five, Stage 1 V6 blocks in existence from a Buick hidden warehouse in Michigan, now that created some interest LOL... :convertib: at one time I worked on 65+ different Buick turbo cars out of my garage at home on nights and weekends, that got old real fast.. one year my brother and I made 45 weekends out of 52 racing Buicks... :pimp:

farmer tx
10-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Back in the mid 80s my younger brother won a Type T Regal in a golf tournament in Georga. At the time it was a quick car. He still has it in his garage.

zelatore
10-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Wow - I had pretty much forgotten all about the old Buick turbos. Back in the day I had a '79 Regal with the turbo 3.8. At the time, the GNs and GNXs were in the press, so I felt like I had something, even though the early cars weren't exactly rockets. Later I grenade it and didn't have the cash to put it back right so I dropped in a mild 350 just to get it back on the road. The best part about that swap was getting to paint the motor Chevy orange. It contrasted nicely with my usual early Ford blue. :wink:

Come to think of it, that may be the only GM product I've had that I didn't loathe...
(not counting my boats, of course, as they're all GM powered under the blue or black paint)

It wasn't that 5.0 Mustang vs. Turbo Buick was THE grudge match at the dragstrip.

Now look what you've done...I was perfectly happy forgeting my old drag racing days and now you've drug all that stuff up again.
(just keep repeating to self: I do not need another hobby, I do not need another hobby)

mrfixxall
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey you guys remember back in 78 - 79 i think when they had the turbo regal? what a pos that was lol, Gn came a long way since then..