PDA

View Full Version : Rockslide at Powell?

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Rick SE, Have you heard anything about a recent rockslide up around Bullfrog that sunk a boat and killed a couple of people? Sitting under some of those ledges I have often thought about it.

justleft
10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Local news story

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/10193141.html

RickSE
10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, saw it the other day on wayneswords.com then it was on the news last night. :(

It happens and has happened before. Last year they retrieved an old sunken boat with a 2-ton rock in the middle of the cockpit & keys in the ignition, but there was no history on the incident. I've always assumed that something would have to happen to trigger a rock fall, like rain or a water fall, but I believe the weather was clear the day this incident happened. I always look up when we pull in next to a cliff wall, but like these folks there really is nothing you could do, accept hope it misses you.

We've had a few other good stories late this year on Powell.

Last week a guy went to take off in his helicopter on top of his houseboat but forgot to unteather the rear of the helicopter. He took off but came crashing back down onto the houseboat, spilling fuel into the lake and seriously injuring a woman on the houseboat.

About a month ago the park rangers were tipped off that someone was loading large quantities of fireworks onto a houseboat at Antelope Point. They found the boat and did a search seizing $4,000-$5,000 worth of industrial fireworks and drugs. :wink:

RickSE
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
There was a picture online of the NPS boat loaded down with all the fireworks but it got taken down for some reason. Fireworks are a NO-NO on Powell but people shoot them off like mad sometimes. We went to a beach party one year that had a display better then the one we have here in town on the 4th, it was very impressive. The biggest complaint with the fireworks now is all the litter and debris they leave behind; plastic nosecones, cardboard tubes, etc.

The new kick now is to fill a SOBE bottle 3/4 full w/gasoline. Screw on the lid and poke a small hole in the center. Set it in the fire pit then run. The gas expands, shoots out the hole then ignites creating one heck of a mushroom cloud/fire ball. It doesn't break the glass or destroy the cap so the enjoyment can last as long as you have gas. Pictures to follow after Powell 08'. :shocking:

RickSE
10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Now another lost life at Powell and another young one. A young girl 3-4 years old went missing off the Bullfrog Marina docks on Monday. They just found her body on Wednesday under water. :frown: Last time she was seen, she was running up and down the docks with her little brother, and then she disappeared.

There have been just too many young lives lost this year in my area. Earlier this week a 4-year old little girl fell 450' to her death off the South Rim in the Grand Canyon. They're now reporting that she is the youngest death ever recorded in the Canyon.