PDA

View Full Version : Z21 Upgrades

DTM
10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I am planning some "upgrades" to my '87 Z21 and am looking feedback / experience in the following areas:

• Gel coat is “dead” (have wet sanded and buffed multiple time). Planning on getting the deck and hull painted the original Donzi colors (Burgundy and Cream).
• Replacing the thru-transom exhaust with selectable exhaust (open and via prop outlet).
• Repositioning the thru-transom exhaust to side “waterline” openings.

• Changing from a small block to a big block (Alpha drive currently). Marine mechanic’s opinion is as long as I do not “beat” the drive, it will hold up.
• Adding trim-tabs
Might seem to be a lot of upgrades for a ’87 but I just did the interior over and all the wiring ect… I am the second owner and the boat is in pretty good shape. Just want to make a “little” better…
Any feedback will be appreciated…

VetteLT193
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
The alpha will handle a low power Big Block (In 1987 Alpha was standard on the 330 HP engine).

If you are going for better performance, you'd probably be better off upping the power of the small block. You can get the same power range of the low power BB with less weight, which will yield more speed.

Having the boat painted will be pricey. you might want to check out vinyl wrapping or doing some of the work yourself.