PDA

View Full Version : I broke Polly's boat

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Well as some of you know we had to use the PUSH ROPE at the Texas Roundup this year. Polly and I both comented on how smooth this thing was running at P.K. I guess we jinxed it. Mike and Matt helped us to the dock at the Cliffs and returned with the trailer to pick it up.
We were cruising about 4500 r's and heard a noise that sounded like a rock in a coffee can. Pulled the throttle back and it died. Oil pressure was fine as I had just looked at the guages, temp also. I thought it was the coupler letting go. Tried to restart and the engine was locked up.
Anyway I pulled the engine last night and pulled it down today. Seems an exhaust valve lost its head. (I hate when that happens)
Here are the results. Hoping the get this thing back together before harvest that starts in about three weeks.

gcarter
10-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Sorry Mark, but I get confused....Which one is her boat????
It's a shame how that goes....since "you" broke it, it's all your fault!!!!!LOL:):wink::yes:

That's too bad, not only is it a lot of work, but it's expensive.
I know, the next time, she drives her boat so that if it breaks, she gets to fix it!!!!:eek!:

Yeah right! Let's all hide and watch that happen.

Us guys just don't catch a break!:yes::yes:

Good luck Mark!

MOP
10-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Mark so sorry to see this, it is such a hurtful thing when something like this happens. Possible upside is to give Polly a few more ponies while you are at it.

Phil

DonCig
10-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Lets see, 450 pounds of spring pressure; one torn valve.
Any correlation? hehehe

BUIZILLA
10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
so.....................

if the Critter engine is going in the red boat....

what's going in the Critter??

MOP
10-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Is there some "Skunky" thoughts in the works:shocking:

BigGrizzly
10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Been there and done that but at 5200 Rpms. You know your in trouble when Scott Baxter opens the hatch and says "Why do you carry a spare piston in the bilge."

roadtrip se
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Polly's boat broke while running with Jill's boat.

Bad karma to say the least.

Long drive around the lake to float her up onto the trailer, too.

I do think that Polly would notice, if a 540 made it under the hood.

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
You know, now that I think about it, even if she was driving it would have been my fault. I DICKED with it a couple of weeks ago putting roller rockers on it trying to get arround the broken stamped steel rockers. Just going to freshen it up a little:lookaroun: One bare head,a set of pistons,16 valves, one rod, new bump stick. That should come to about,lets see, 13 bales of cotton.

ITTLFLI
10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Sorry....BUT I have to say......EXCELLENT CARNAGE!!!!:eek!:

Trueser
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Mark,
Im sure Poly want to run against Jill. You better juice that thing up.

and notice that I did not take any pictures while the boat was in tow....

MOP
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Qoute: and notice that I did not take any pictures while the boat was in tow....

A true gentleman in our midst!

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I am surprised Mike didn't take a covert pic. If he had I still would have claimed I was pushing him. Surprising little damage to the cyl. wall. .030 should take care of it. If I juiced this thing anymore my obituary would be the next thing you read. Shes not a real proponent of speed. Just making sure the valve train is strong. Hell the thing has 500 hrs. on it,I feel like I got my moneys worth.

BUIZILLA
10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
thankfully that didn't happen say about 80 miles uplake at Powell :eek!::eek!::propeller:

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Jim, That was the reason behind the roller rockers. I stuck a pushrod through a rockerarm 53 miles up lake. Called PJ had her go to NAPA and get an arm and ball and bring my travel tools. Rick shuttled us to the parts and tools then returned to Dangleing Rope.Took Don Tamm and I from 7:30-9:30 to install it. Used what little light there was at the dock and my cell phone as a flashlight. Left Dangleing Rope at 9:30 PM and got to Whaweap at 11:30. Had to trust the channel markers and Dons GPS info. The first 45 min. were very stressfull but managed. The moon went away 15 minutes into the trip and I'm glad it did, it was casting shadows on the water that looked like rock formations. Except for a couple unlit markers passing starboard at 15 ft. it went well.Minimum planeing speed was about 20 mph.Took me a while to wind down that night. Thats why the I am replacing the valvetrain I don't want any issues. By the way, thanks Don for the helf.

BUIZILLA
10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
was the valve that dropped the one that had the pushrod issue?

BUIZILLA
10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
this is a bad Buick day....

Trueser
10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Nope. It was a different cyl

Team Jefe
10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Plus we need TWO RBT members with fast boats.. :) :) :)
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

thankfully that didn't happen say about 80 miles uplake at Powell :eek!::eek!::propeller:
We were the boat being PUSHED by a 16 last year at AOTH......and it was a LONG TIME:bonk:

Well you know the Critter is Blue....so a Blue motor would fit the color scheme...purely for asthetic reasons:wink:

gero1
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM
500hrs... i got 200 more to go before i tear something up....right

farmer tx
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
D@#n Jim that camshaft is in the wrong place.:eek!:

BUIZILLA
10-04-2007, 06:56 AM
shouldn't be to hard to find the camshaft in this mishap... :eek!:

this is what 110#'s of manifold pressure get's ya.. :yes:

gcarter
10-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Jim, I don't want to hijack Mark's thread, but I have a tractor pull diesel question.
I admit I've watched one or two of these events on TV and noticed there's a tremendous increase in fuel being used at the start of the pull.
I'm wondering how the turbo/fuel program is handled....
I remember there was a technology devoloped by a French company and liscenced to several engine builders called Hyperbar. The scheme goes like this, the engine is built w/a relatively low C/R....say 14:1. Then the turbo is built so that fuel can be injected into the exhaust turbine. What it does is to literally turn the turbo into a small gas turbine. The result is a significant increase in turbo boost as it is needed.
I know that Cummins was working with this process in the early '80's in 902's and K series engines. They were getting about 1000 reliable HP in the 902's so equipped.
So I was wondering if this is what is being used or if they do somethig different.

BUIZILLA
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
the V8's were 903's...... and they weren't very happy over 500hp... the USCG still runs them in the 41' patrol boats at 450hp and absolutely luv them, parts are ridiculously expensive now though... :eek!: K motors are animals, there are a couple KT1150's running around here in dump trucks at about 800hp++, one, for sure, will outrun a stock Dmax.... we just sold a complete inframe overhaul on a K3067 V16 gen set... :yes: years ago Lend Lease used to run a bunch of KT600's in cabover Pete's, some were turned up to about 700hp, keep in mind this was in the early to mid 80's now....... they had a single 6" exhaust stack THRU the right rear corner of the sleeper from factory :cool!: with a loaded 45' trailer or tanker attached, they would pull the front tires in the first 4 or 5 low range gears... it was hysterical to see..

gcarter
10-04-2007, 09:43 AM
My experience w/the K engines was with Baker Hughes in Houston who was building an oil well service ship to used off shore of Brazil. It had 3 or 4 KTTA 12 cylinder engines of 1200HP driving large triplex pumps through Allison 10 or 12 speed????? transmissions. This was in the early '80's also. I got to know one of the Cummins applications engineers pretty well and he was the one that told me about their Hyperbar experiments. He told me w/the Hyperbar setup they were getting 2000 HP w/the same engine.

RickSE
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Mark,
I've got parts if you need them,

(1) pair 454 heads, oval port, not sure of the casting #'s but I can look.

(8) 454 rods.

I believe I still have a set of low miles std. bore 454 flat top pistons. :boggled:

That rod may have taken a beating.

farmer tx
10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Rick, I ordered a bare head Tues. One rod was tweeked, got a set of forged pistons coming. Thanks for the offer. I think the valve train geo. was out of whack. Pulled the valves out and discovered the heads had +100 valves in them and I used standard pushrods also the spring pressure, closed and open were to the moon. Surprised the cam was not wiped-out.

RickSE
10-05-2007, 02:08 PM
OK, I'll leave this stuff under my staircase for another day, along with the complete BB Olds sitting next to it.

We've also got some 4.375" dia. BBC dome pistons over here if you need them. :bonk:

Good luck with the rebuild. At least it wasn't the drive, we can always fix the motor. :yes: