PDA

View Full Version : How do I hook up a water pressure gauge?

gold-n-rod
10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I bought a nice Gaffrig water pressure gauge from eBay. It's new, but didn't come with install instructions. There's compression fittings for the plastic tubing and a fitting (larger than 1/4" and smaller than 1/2"). Where is the best place to tap into the cooling water flow to install this fitting?

Thanks in advance!

MOP
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I have seen it done a few ways, only rule of thumb is it has to be after the raw water pump!. One of the simple ways is to T an existing water fitting if one exists on you setup, the other is to drill and tap the thermostat housing. At any rate it should be installed up high away from any possible sediment.

Mudball
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I originally had mine plumbed into the block with a tee at the drain plug on the starboard side.
Because of sediment, I moved it to the top of the intake manifold. I removed the temperature beeper and installed it there. I'm always monitoring the temps anyway, and didn't want to put an ugly tee up there...
It's hard to see, but you it's installed just port of the thermostat housing. You can see the line run along side the fuel line.
Both positions read the same.
Take care,
Kent

handfulz28
10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
How about one of the ports in the head?
I think all big block heads have a port on the end, so look at the port-side head for a plug. Will possibly have a 3/8 square drive head.
Small blocks vary, but you should see the plug there somewhere.
If you have an intake manifold like mudball that has ports already tapped, that'd be the easiest.

gold-n-rod
10-11-2007, 07:45 PM
OK, I did some searching around and found that there's a tapped fitting in the top of the thermostat housing. The fitting has a bolt in it that appears to be the size of the fitting that came with the kit. I'll have to pull it to be sure.

What I am calling the thermostat housing is on the top side of the engine and forward. It has one large hose feeding it from the circulating pump on the front of the engine and there are 2 smaller diameter hoses coming out of either side that run down the front of the engine. It also has a lifting ring attached. Is this the thermostat housing? If so, I think I have what I need.

Thanks, all.

MOP
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
You got it right, the best place to put it.

Phil

gold-n-rod
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
You got it right, the best place to put it.
Phil

That's what I thought. Thanks, Phil!