PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with my 22 classic

dr jeff
10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I just purchased a 2001 classic 22 and found that it wanders at low speed, around 700-1100 rpm....is this normal and if not what can i DO TO RECTIFY this.......dr jeff

gcarter
10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Nothing, that's what single engine outdrives do at idle.
All those endless idle speed/no wake areas take on a whole new meaning.

Barry Eller
10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
All single engine outboards and sterndrives "Hunt" at idle speed. I've heard that if you lower the trim tabs all the way it helps. I have found that if I'm patient, I can play with the steering very slightly and get it where it has pressure to one side and it becomes minimal. But that also depends of wind and current.

Trueser
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
She's looking around for someone to race. Takes a while to get use to:

Good luck.

MOP
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Putting the tabs full down will tame the wag at idle speeds, I guarantee it., I have several very long narrow creeks and can go a long ways without touching the wheel! Just remember to pull them up before you take off!!!! It will also save a lot of wear & tear on your steering system!!!!

Phil

Barry Eller
10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Putting the tabs full down will tame the wag at idle speeds, I guarantee it., I have several very long narrow creeks and can go a long ways without touching the wheel! Just remember to pull them up before you take off!!!! It will also save a lot of wear & tear on your steering system!!!!
Phil

I knew I heard that somewhere!:wink:

I avoid the idle speed areas as much as possible. Of course Pensacola Bay and the Gulf of Mexico don't have speed zones!:yes::hyper::yippie::checkered:

And no limits as to how far you can run. (No boundries as in lakes...),no noise limits (yet),and yes, its saltwater...(I flush and I floss after every run, after every meal).

VetteLT193
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Even twin engine V hulls wander... not as bad as single engine boats, but it's still there.

I think the biggest problem people have is over-correcting. It takes some getting used to, but try moving the wheel and waiting 30 seconds. the slower you are going the longer the steering reaction takes. The more patience you have the better chance you have of not steering your arms off. :wink: