I have an older twin motor Donzi (twin 350s) moving across the lake the other
day at a pretty fast pace and all of a sudden I heard this grinding noise
coming from one of the out drives,I shut the one motor down right away,put
it on the trailer and noticed the bell housing was cracked and the spindle
going into lower unit completely snapped off clean? any thoughts what this
could be or can the motor be fired up? thanks

Trueser
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Pictures would help. My guess you need a drive .

I would not fire up the motor you will have no cooling!

MOP
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
When you say the bell housing are you looking down at the engines bell housing, some get some parts confused. An outside guess is something I ran into years back on a TRS, the drive hit/caught a small log that wedged between the prop and the cav plate the upper blew and locked which sheared the shaft. The cracked bell housing is a little puzzling. A clean break indicates sudden impact, where as an alignment break is jagged.

Phil

bryanpogue@edinarealty.com
10-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Pictures would help. My guess you need a drive .
I would not fire up the motor you will have no cooling!
thanks for the response,i will not fire it up ! thanks

bryanpogue@edinarealty.com
10-02-2007, 02:54 PM
When you say the bell housing are you looking down at the engines bell housing, some get some parts confused. An outside guess is something I ran into years back on a TRS, the drive hit/caught a small log that wedged between the prop and the cav plate the upper blew and locked which sheared the shaft. The cracked bell housing is a little puzzling. A clean break indicates sudden impact, where as an alignment break is jagged.
Phil
thanks phil,yes the bell housing is in pieces,that shaft just below the ujoint going into the lower unit was broke off,i did not hit anything with the boat and no facial damage. thanks Bryan

MOP
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks phil,yes the bell housing is in pieces,that shaft just below the ujoint going into the lower unit was broke off,i did not hit anything with the boat and no facial damage. thanks Bryan

Was it noisy before hand??? Starting sound like the U joint blew apart, it is possible you do not have serious drive issues though the yoke is probably sprung and not reusable. Like Mike said shot a couple pics and post them, there are a few mechanical types up here. Find manage attachment lower down in the post area. Try for screen sized pics not to big!
Phil

MOP
10-02-2007, 03:15 PM
What drives do you have????