PDA

View Full Version : Hot alternator...

Tony
09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I had a dead battery today, initially attributed to me not disconnecting the positive cable like usual. I quick-charged it for my winterization :( routine and all went well...until I noticed that my alternator was very hot to the touch.
Might I have an issue?

MOP
09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Tony if the battery was pretty dead the alternator will get fairly hot bringing it back up, now a caviate if you have a dead cell it may hold charge for as long as a day or two but it will get the alternator even hotter. Charge the battery it should drop to near -0- over night then let it sit at least a day, then put it back on charge, When you put it back on it should not show but a few amps for a short period of time, time varies on the charger, a 10amp charger should knock the needle back down in about 10-15 minutes if not snag a new battery. Do not use a car battery they do not have enough plate to shell base clearance and will short the plates very quickly in our bouncy boats!

Phil

Tony
09-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Phil. I didn't know an alternator could get that hot bringing back a dead battery. I'm pretty sure my battery is fine, it looks like I'll have to track down where the draw is that drained it that low in one week.