PDA

View Full Version : Wierd engine shutdown, any ideas?

Donzi LG
09-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Yesterday at Lake George villiage there was an antique boat show with some seriously beautiful hardware on display. I had come from the east side to check out the show with my boat running completely normally on the way over. I was idling off the docks for about 10-15 minutes checking out the woodies when all of a sudden the engine (2001 MX6.2) shut down as if I had turned the key off. It would turn over fine but not restart on several attempts. After about ten minutes or so, I tried again and it fired right up as normal and ran perfectly the rest of the day under all conditions. Has anyone ever experienced this? This is the first time I've encountered this strange behavior and the engine has always ran beautifully. I'm a little paranoid of this happening again because I don't know why it happened. I plan on checking out the poker run next weekend and I'm a worried this could happen again. Any ideas as to the cause of this random shutdown?

John

gcarter
09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I know what I would check first...
grounds
grounds
and then the grounds.....

Others here know more about your specific engine, but that's where I would start.
Oh, and you might just replace the ignition switch, just because it's nearly seven years old.

gold-n-rod
09-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Is the clip for your safety lanyard securely in place?

Trueser
09-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Remove the main wire connector on the engine and reinstall. Make sure it's clean and the clamp is secure.

Donzi LG
09-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check those items out. I did have the lanyard on from the ride over, maybe it got jammed or something; I did check it but I can't remember if it started right after that. It alarmed me because it shut right down after running beautifully and it's never acted up like that before. I've got one more outing on Saturday and hopefully it'll check out and run OK before she's put away.