PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Interpreting Boating Law

Carl C
09-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Rootsy found this link to Michigan's boating laws. If I read #3 very carefully it seems to indicate that It is legal to drive on plane closer than 100' to shore if the water is over 3' deep. Am I reading this right? Thanks.:boggled: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-8946 Alright it's not coming up. It's the Michigan Compiled Law 324-8946. It says:

(3)A person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state at a speed greater than slow-no wake speed or the minimum speed necessary for the motorboat to maintain forward movement when within 100 feet of the shoreline where the water depth is less than 3 feet, as determined by vertical measurement, except in navigable channels not otherwise posted.

maddad
09-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I read that the same way. It's okay if it's deeper than 3' and not otherwise posted.

Sweet little 16
09-29-2007, 06:35 AM
get a hard copy of the laws there could be a typo there when it was transposed onto a website by the summer help, a comma,a period and the word and/or could make a be difference in the meaning of that sentence,
again most states have similiar laws and usually the only exception for the distance from shore being on plane is while engaged in water skiing starting from a dock or returning a skier to the dock plus remember you are responsible for any damaged caused by your wake

I was surprised how much I learned I didn't know when i took the USCG safety course something I would recommend to everyone even old salts as the rules they are a changing plus any responsible boater will brush up on the local laws as some lakes and waterways have special provisions that they enforce and
ignorance of the law is no defense when you get a ticket

Carl C
09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
except in navigable channels not otherwise posted.
:) :) So I can't enter a channel on plane that is less than 200 feet wide unless there is a sign that says I can but I can go as close to shore on the open lake as I please as long as the water is over 3 feet deep. Is that correct? Sorry, I've never been real good at reading legaleze.

penbroke
09-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Carl,
When in doubt, choose the action that will piss-off the fewest people. In the long run you'll be happier...

Frank
Open exhaust on open water. :lookaroun:

Carl C
09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Carl,
When in doubt, choose the action that will piss-off the fewest people. In the long run you'll be happier...
Frank
Open exhaust on open water. :lookaroun: I don't think I piss off very many people on the water. Most enjoy my boat :). I seem to piss off more people here lately:lookaroun: I'm just trying to stay aware of the local laws, not piss anyone off. I think I understand it now though, thanks.:yes:

hardcrab
09-30-2007, 07:12 AM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Carl C
09-30-2007, 07:18 AM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Why is anyone getting upset because I asked for clarification of a boating law? Simple responses would be OK. If this is the direction this board wants to go then I will not back off from confrontation any more. Let the mud fly. Let Donzi.net become the National Enquirer of the boating forums.:confused:

hardcrab
09-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Carl,
it's not a matter of gettin' pissed.
Please explain why you don't just get clarification from the local DNR rather than try to decifer it yourself ? You ask a question regarding local rules to an international audience.

Carl C
09-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Carl,
it's not a matter of gettin' pissed.
Please explain why you don't just get clarification from the local DNR rather than try to decifer it yourself ? You ask a question regarding local rules to an international audience. I thought it would be easier here and also informative to the other Michigan boaters here.

hardcrab
09-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Ask the guy that carries the ticket book.

Sweet little 16
09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
ok this part is fuzzy for me as well ,my limited knowledge of english
I had to break it down

shall = must , an order, not may or maybe

slow= no wake or the least to keep head way

100 feet from shore where the water is less than 3 feet

except= everything that came before is true but here is something that doesn't apply

navigable channel= a passage that is considered to be used by the general public usually marked with ATON's that can be passed safely
sometimes called an inlet, channel , or cut

not other wise posted = unless there is a sign saying different

so what I get is

you must go slow no wake

A) 100 feet from shore when the water is 3 feet or less

B) in ANY channel NO MATTER HOW WIDE that is used by the general boating public has a safe passage unless the sign says you can go fast

now i have seen a slow no wake 5 mph bouy, has anyone seen a WOT bouy

the defense rest before the mud slinging lameness or locking goes on

carl i think I see hard's point to get a better meaning I would ask a LEO who knows the code/law

chappy
10-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Why is anyone getting upset because I asked for clarification of a boating law? Simple responses would be OK. If this is the direction this board wants to go then I will not back off from confrontation any more. Let the mud fly. Let Donzi.net become the National Enquirer of the boating forums.:confused:

Hi Carl,

If you have a difference of opinion with a member, wouldn't it be better to reach out to them via PM? Instead of slandering the entire sight with a comparison to a cheesy tabloid? I'm trying to see your point of view on different topics, but you're making it harder and harder to be sympathetic.

Rich

Rootsy
10-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Now lets get the link correct for starters...

Michigan Boating Speed Law (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fbflcp453ar1qs244y53sl55))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-324-80146)

Now I am no lawyer but reading this I interpret it as meaning the following.

That anywhere in this state on open water where there is NOT a posted "no wake" sign and you are within 100 feet of shore in 3 feet or less of water then you shall maintain No-Wake speed.

Now if you are in a navigable channel (river, creek, inlet, canal) that is less than say 200 feet wide but may be less than 3 feet deep then you do not need to heed the no wake ruling UNLESS there is a visible NO-WAKE sign present.

Maybe Sam, Bill or Randy can add more to that as they spend a lot of time on and around St. Clair which has a lot of these little features...

Donziweasel
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
personally, i wouldn't be on a plane or have a wake in 3 ft or less. idle with drive up or you might go from 3 ft to 1 ft real quickly. then you have a messed up drive anyway. link to boating regs by coast guard-

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/Nasbla_Ref_Guide_6.pdf

RedDog
10-01-2007, 12:46 PM
OK - I'm not a lawyer but have worked in a regulatory / compliance environment for 20+ years. It clearly says:

1) if you are in a navigable channel, the no wake provision does not apply unless it is posted. Distance from shore does not matter. No posting - throttle on regardless of depth*
2) If you are not in a navigable channel, are less than 100 feet from shore, and the water is less than 3 feet - then no wake is required

This has been said numerous times above - maybe my response is clearer. If not ask Speedwake :bonk::bonk::bonk:

* although when I am in 3 feet of water I tilt my drive up and proceed at idle speed at most - but we don't have channels around here that are only 3 feet deep.

Ranman
10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
personally, i wouldn't be on a plane or have a wake in 3 ft or less.
On Lake St. Clair it would take you a long time to get around. :biggrin::biggrin:
Just last night I ran the Formula on plane in 3' of water for 2-3 miles. On plane is really the only way I could get through the area. It's always fun to look down and see the bottom running underneath you. :eek!: Up here you need to know your local waterways or you can get in trouble fast. Take it from this guy who put his boat up on Grassy Island yesterday.

"The story that we were told is that the girl was going from one boat to another and fell in between the boats and broke both ankles.. So the guy driving the boat was rushing her to Deckers where the EMS was waiting. That is when he ran into Grassy Island... The sheriff met them out there. arrested the driver for being drunk. and brought the girl to the EMS"
http://themoot.net/upload/monthly_10_2007/post-2969-1191200223.gif

roadtrip se
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Why is anyone getting upset because I asked for clarification of a boating law? Simple responses would be OK. If this is the direction this board wants to go then I will not back off from confrontation any more. Let the mud fly. Let Donzi.net become the National Enquirer of the boating forums.:confused:

of the National Enquirer, I would state Carl that a lot of their stuff, and the really cool pictures that go with the articles, some times make more sense than some of the stuff you seem to want to post here in general.

As for not backing away from confrontation, I can't imagine anyone here being terrribly worried about that, so why patronize us by saying it? Please, try your own advice, and "chill".

donzi182003
10-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I don't know Carl C so I cannot give a personal opinion on him but lately every thread I have seen posted here by him has wreaked havoc. Judging by this I think I will stop reading the threads he puts up.

PS: Carl you are the first person I have seen criticize the website. Not cool man...

RedDog
10-02-2007, 08:06 AM
..Up here you need to know your local waterways or you can get in trouble fast...

the same down here - we have the occasional submerged stump and rock pile which can ruin your day when in shallow water