PDA

View Full Version : i am screwed!

Donziweasel
09-28-2007, 07:32 PM
i am typing with my left hand so bear with me. my back has been killing me all week and i lost my temper tonight at work. i slapped a mirror on one of my busses and cut my hand severly. i cut the tendions and nerves to two of my fingers and have to have surguery tommorrow morning. i can't use the hand for 3 months. no hunting!:mad: or anything. now my back and hand are messed up. the moral-if you need to hit something, don't hit glass. i am so upset. this sucks! hopefully boo boo will get us an elk so i can send some more to you members who are interested. i will let you know how the surgery goes tommorrow.

chappy
09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the hand. I'm sure the back hurts, but not having use of that hand for three months will definitely teach you patience. But you've shown us you have that already by squeezing over 10mph more out of your 16. I wish I had that patience and perseverance.:yes:
Rich

Donziweasel
09-28-2007, 08:12 PM
thanks chappy, i needed to hear that

gcarter
09-28-2007, 08:23 PM
From an old fart.....losing your temper never pays off.
It's completely counterproductive.

Donziweasel
09-28-2007, 08:44 PM
george, you are not helping:)

Barry Eller
09-28-2007, 08:59 PM
You did WHAT? Sorry for you, don't do it again!:bonk:

Will your wife tie your shoes for you?:biggrin::wink:

Carl C
09-28-2007, 09:09 PM
That sucks, don't worry about elk just get the hand better. There's probably all kinds of hunting there huh?

gcarter
09-28-2007, 10:12 PM
george, you are not helping:)
I'm a believer in tough love.:wink::wink:
I hope it heals up quickly.

McGary911
09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Ouch. Hope the surgery works out. I quit punching things years ago. Walls were my thing. I'd hit a stud every other time. Do the math......I figured that with luck like that, I wasn't meant to be a wall puncher.

MOP
09-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Hope you are back good as new soon :yes: I doubt if there are many who have not done themselves in in one way or another from a tantrum :bonk:

Donziweasel
09-29-2007, 07:28 AM
thanks everyone. typing left handed bites! off to surgery in an hour. i only slapped the mirror and did not think it would break. a driver later told me it had a small crack in it. must be why it broke. the cut is in the palm of my hand and i can not close my ring finger or pinky. it is really bizzare feeling. can't feel them either.

boo boo and my hunting buddies said i am now camp cook. although the doc said i could not use the hand for 2 months, if i can get on my horse, i will ride. can't shoot though as it is my right hand. boo boo said she would be more than happy to shoot my elk for me:) damn, i am in hell!

oh, about the back, i had surgery on it in 1990 and have episodes every two years or so. those of you who have had disk or sciatic nerve problems will know the type of pain i am in with my back. this is the first episode in three years. man it hurts. well, time to have boo boo tie my shoes for me.

hardcrab
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
D.W. ,
The language in your posts never have suggested a short fuse / temper.

Everyone needs to vent. Just keep it in check when playing with guns.
Take time and heal, life goes on.

Cuda
09-29-2007, 08:47 AM
I found the reason long ago why walls don't fight back...............they don't have to. :(

I have two broken fingers that won't heal straight. Athough neither was because I was angry, one second of stupidity pretty much caused me the used of my two most used fingers. One happened when I was 18 years old. Every since then, I can be working on something, and the index finger on my right hand is almost spotless. :(

Good luck!

Patti
09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Ack! No good John :tongue:

Hope you feel better soon and heal quickly!

Send Margie my best! :)

Rootsy
09-29-2007, 09:16 PM
John,

that sucks.... I almost did nearly the same thing when i was in school. I put my pocket knife blade right up the meat of my palm below my thumb. When the doc was stitching me up I got to look at the tendon when I wiggled my thumb. He looked at it and was sure I was going to the surgeon... but somehow I got lucky.

Don't let an injury stop you. My friend shattered his ankle on his dirt bike. The surgeon said he would be off his feet for a while and would have to go through serious rehab. 3 months later he was in northern Wyoming hunting antelope and mulies and the next month he was in deer camp with me.

keep your chin up.

Donziweasel
09-30-2007, 07:23 AM
surgery went well, i guess. was out of it most the day yesterday. niether my wife or i ever got to talk with the doc after the operation. the nurse said there was a lot of nerve damage and i should not try and move my pinky or ring finger. before she sa8id that i had already tried and the pinky moved. on the up side, i think i will regain use of my fingers. i have a cast from above my elbow to the tips of my fingers. man, it is throbbing and hurts like hell this morning. going to see the doc tommrrow morning and will know more then about any permanent damage. at least they gave me some gooD pain meds as i would be in seriuos pain withou them.

thanks patti, jamie, and everyone else for the kind words. i do not really have a temper and am usually very patient, but after a week of feeling like a red hot dagger is in my back, i guess my fuse was a little short. i have a punching bag in my bay for just such an occasion and will be sure to use it next time instead of a mirror. now i am just depressed. got snow in the mountains last night and should be hunting today:(

jamie, tried to log into d.org a week ago and couldn't. can you reset my password and pm me it?

Donziweasel
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
here is a photo of a very unhappy one handed guy.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/NewImage.jpg

BUIZILLA
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Wease.... I had an aviation related incident in Dec. 1977 that nearly killed me, the grunt of the matter was I ended up with 9, yes 9, compound fractures of my left hand, and 2 permanently severed finger tendons, and a hole in the palm big enough to look through..... 3 years and 3 operations later I had use of my hand again, after they rebuilt virtually every bone in there with plates and screws, I was a walking hardware store, it was a LONGGGG 3 years of therapy... your's is a cake walk, relax...

Last Tango
10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, with time and rehab, your hand will heal.

What bothers me most is that you are stuck with seven years of bad luck for breaking that mirror, and that "sentance" has already started off badly...:frown::eek:

Donziweasel
10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
just got back from seeing doc. he said i should have a full recovery, but may take 6 months. tendon cut was pretty clean but nerve damage was severe. start physical therapy thursday.

jim, tango, jamie, george, patti, and everyone else, thanks for the support. jim, i know from what you have told me in passing in the past that what happened to me was not near as severe as your injuries. i feel for ya. knowing what happened to you, i feel very lucky mine wasn't worse.

george, would love some of that speaking software. i know this sounds funny, but i type very fast and hate typos. one of my biggest compliants is that i can't type well and have mnay typos. i know it is no big deal, but it realy bugs me. hopefully no one will start calling me tripplrdiggitts!:):eek!::bonk:

doc says no hunting, but if i can get on my horse.......
anyone want to fill my elk tag for me? rootsy, hear is yuor chance for that bull elk! i ride, you shoot!

gcarter
10-01-2007, 05:14 PM
george, would love some of that speaking software. i know this sounds funny, but i type very fast and hate typos. one of my biggest compliants is that i can't type well and have mnay typos. i know it is no big deal, but it realy bugs me. hopefully no one will start calling me tripplrdiggitts!:):eek!::bonk:
Here you go John.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190157402415&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009
It's amazing....this stuff used to cost over $200.00. The demo I saw was very impressive. You go through a vocabulary list of several hundred words and the more you use it the more accurate it becomes.

Donziweasel
10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
thanks george, might try it. start physical therapy tommorrow. man, it throbs like a SOB.

BUIZILLA
10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
trust me, throbbing is GOOD.... VERY GOOD

get yourself a handball, your about to get intimately familiar with it, take it EVERYWHERE you go, do not leave home without it, squeeze it EVERY chance you get, it's the best free therapy you can do...

Donziweasel
10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
buiz, thanks for the tip, will look for one today. start physical therapy friday now. they said they were going to get this ridiculously large cast off and i get a smaller splint. it is amazing how debilitating not having my right hand is. crap i took for granted now are monumental tasks. just getting dressed is a nightmare.

the hand is also causing an unexpected problem also. my back is still a wreck, but now i can't use my hand and arm to brace when i stand up from the couch, roll over in bed, get out of a chair, etc... it is placing a lot of additional stress on my back and it is not healing. i am going to get another epidural shot in it tommorrow.

i am not whining, just pissed that i would do something so stupid. it would be nice to be able to blame someone else, but it is my own fault. Aghhh......

MOP
10-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Jim has the right idea, the doctor gave me a fairly soft ball to start with it had just enough spring back to work the index finger but not over stress the tendon. After about 4 weeks I went to a regular hand ball, that felt like a work out. You can see the chop job to the index finger tendon and a few more scars pit falls of being a bot mechanic.

Phil

Donziweasel
10-03-2007, 08:33 AM
mop- did you regain full use of it?

the pits of all this is that i work with my hands alot. this is the time of year for not only hunting, but getting all my suumer stuff winterized and put away. got a camper, two rafts, both power boats,pump out my sprinkller system, etc....also start getting winter stuff ready, snowmobiles, ski's etc... i hate paying someone to do a job i can easily do myself. time is running out. been below freezing in the morning and we have gotten a good bit of snow in the mountains. this is usually my favorite time of year, but not this year.