PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better answer...

boxy
09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
If you post a topic here for discussion, and it doesn't really go the way you want it to should you post it on another boating site to see if you can get a better result there ?????

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51575

Carl C
09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Lots of us post on more than one site. At least so far no one has been so rude that I had to end the thread there. It used to be that way on Donzi.net. What is up with all the personal attacks on me here lately? It should be relaxing and enjoyable visiting this site, not a place to take out your misery. Please chill.

Rootsy
09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Please don't take offense Carl, this following comment is not directed at you...

Nearly every reply to that speedwake thread is EXACTLY the attitude that turns the general public against powerboaters...

gcarter
09-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Please don't take offense Carl, this following comment is not directed at you...
Nearly every reply to that speedwake thread is EXACTLY the attitude that turns the general public against powerboaters...
Amen!

Carl C
09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Nearly every reply to that speedwake thread is EXACTLY the attitude that turns the general public against powerboaters... I think they tend to be a little younger there but there were also some posts that said I deserved a ticket etc. but none were posted in a nasty way until Mr. Boxma (aka Blue-llama) showed up.

boxy
09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Nasty? Except for calling Lake Oakland mudpuddle, (which if you look at this DNR map seems to be an accurate description of it's bottom composition)
Lake Oakland (http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/OAKLAND/OAKLAND_LAKE_V2.PDF) I don't think I was nasty.

Here is your question....

What would you guys think if you'd have found this note slipped into your truck while you were boating? This happened to me last week on Lake Oakland in Michigan. Is it sincere? Is it a veiled threat (like OK I tried to be nice, now I'm gonna cut your tires if you don't comply)? Shouldn't they have signed it if they were sincere? I'm not above cooperating with a reasonable request but this one has me puzzled.

Here is my response....

You don't know what to make of it....
Your running a 22 Classic with a 496 through CMI's on a mud puddle. Nobody threatened to do anything to you or your property, they calmly and kindly asked you to use the equipment already in your boat, flip the switch on your Quick and Quiets and have fun.
If the lake is close by then enjoy it, and let everyone else enjoy it, and save your open pipe days for some real water where you're not running by some guys dock 100' offshore 20 times in an afternoon.....

No one is asking you to stop boating, all they are asking is that you do it a little more quitely on this particular mud puddle.
Does anyone know if using the Q+Q on a 496 powered boat results in any noticeable drop in performance?

RedDog
09-27-2007, 10:14 AM
... but none were posted in a nasty way until Mr. Boxma (aka Blue-llama) showed up.

you have a weird sense of what people are saying. Blue-Llam's post was factual, logical, and to the point. I read absolutely no nastiness in it.

And yes, there are some real idiots posting on your Speedwake thread.

chappy
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of airing "Dirty Laundry" on other sites. The Trippledigits soap opera bled onto other sites, and even prompted some members of other sites to say the people at Donzi.net are "Harsh". Now this has the same potential. I don't live day to day worrying about what others think of me, but the appearance and integrity of this site and its members is something I think we all should look out for. Just my .02.
Rich
P.S. I also predicted a Village People comeback, so what do I know?:tongue:

roadtrip se
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I subscribe to OSO and Speedwake. I typically read and shake my head when I am on one of these sites. The carnage is unfathomable at times.

I come here and here is what I get:

1) A community of friends with a common interest, who I most likely have met at a rally or two. I can hear them talking, when they post. I talk to many of them on the phone on a regular basis.

2) Very little ego, a level of class un-seen most other places, and good honest feedback from people. They may not always share the same views as I do, but I listen out of respect for that person.

3) Maturity. If that means older, great, but this isn't necessarily the case.
I just saw a whole bunch of new, young faces at the Texas Round-up. I like to think of the tone of this community as more "grounded".

4) Humor with a twist. Most people put some thought into what they post up here. You may have to read it once or twice, or thrice, to really get what the person is saying. People think here as opposed to just spitting out whatever comes to mind.

Post away all you may like on other sites, but keep in mind we are all part of a broader community here, that really isn't that large to begin with, and that just because you are not on the Donzi.net doesn't mean it doesn't change how people percieve you here. No free lunch man!

Soap box in pieces and fixing to burn it!

donzi182003
09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I think these boards get out of hand when people post personal matters on them. I don't think that board members should post about nearly every event that happens in their life on these boards. You are bound to get 25 different opinions that you may not like. That letter could not have been more to the point. Someone was obviously pissed and they asked you to quiet down very nicely. I do not know why the question was even asked in the first place. As of this month I have been on this board 3 years and I have slowly seen it shift its focus away from boats to personal matters. Roadtrips comments were dead on. I agree with ya buddy

Carl C
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
This whole thread is mean spirited and stupid and I've asked the moderators to remove it. Why on Earth should anyone care if I discuss a topic on more than one forum?????????????????????????????????????????

BUIZILLA
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
great thread...................

Boxy for President....

oh wait, Canada already has one of those....

Sweet little 16
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
nothing i love more than a cup of coffee after getting the kids off to school than surfing the web and finding the same bandwidth eating nonsense on every boating site I visit I know many people post on multiple sites but they seem to do it at basically the same time not after a thread has taken a course that the author didn't seem to like then closed and started somewhere else?? not sure about mean spirited but definetly stupid
if you are fishing for answers perhaps you should post on a fishing site as well:confused:

Carl C
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
great thread...................
Boxy for President....
oh wait, Canada already has one of those.... That's predictable since it was your wise crack post that led to me closing the thread.

nothing i love more than a cup of coffee after getting the kids off to school than surfing the web and finding the same bandwidth eating nonsense on every boating site I visit I know many people post on multiple sites but they seem to do it at basically the same time not after a thread has taken a course that the author didn't seem to like then closed and started somewhere else?? not sure about mean spirited but definetly stupid
if you are fishing for answers perhaps you should post on a fishing site as well:confused: You are the one who suggested that the note came from the damn mafia or something and that I'd better watch my back and now you're bashing me for responding to that. Please. Get a life.

Marlin275
09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I am on a small lake in New Hampshire and
the noise does bother some people
I don't start up till noon
to give people a break

but I go up on July 4th week
when every damn thing is exploding for 3-4 days
and the fact that a bell jet ranger helicopter
takes off and lands at one persons house . . . well
the sound of a real V-8 is music to some
and hell on others

use the silencers
problem solved

July 4th week
let er rip

Donziweasel
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Carl,
This is not an "attack" on you, but what do you expect when you post a thread about a letter you got in a time when powerboating seems to be under attack everywhere and then remove it because you feel that it is becoming "meanspirited" and don't like some of the responses. You seem to follow the crowd with your opinions. For example, you were one of the only ones who stood up for tripplediggits and then changed when opinions changed.

I think the thread was not dirty laundry and appropriate for this forum. We want the freedom to run our boats how we like, but if on a small lake you are upsetting someone, then more restrctions could go in place. This is happening everywhere, including here.

As for the letter, the guy was nice and you have stated you will respect his request. I think that is the right approach. Hell, he likes your boat, maybe you could offer to give him a ride sometime if you ever figure out who he is.

I think Rootsy said recently that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. This one is mine and I am sure some of you will disagree with it. I respect many members here, consider many of you friends, but I think at some point I have disagreed with all of you. Still, right or wrong, they are my opinions and I stand by them. If we all agreed all the time, this would be the most boring forum on the net. Hell, I might even start posting on speedwake if that happened. Sometimes it is good to stir the pot a little!

Carl C
09-27-2007, 06:27 PM
This thread is BS but OK, MadPoodle, open the thread and let everyone blast away. I don't care, I just won't read it but maybe everyone will feel better getting their aggressions out. I'll post on as many boards as I feel like and I never asked for an answer, just discussion.

BUIZILLA
09-27-2007, 07:03 PM
That's predictable since it was your wise crack post that led to me closing the thread. and to think we've never even dated... you still refuse to answer any direct questions, so for your information AGAIN, read your OWN post again stating SOMEONE VANDALIZED YOUR TRUCK, which did NOT happen... for the record I agree with Red Dog's opinion.. also Carl, I am a moderator on one of the, if not the largest, muscle car sites around, www.V8buick.com, we have 16,967 members as of 15 minutes ago, I have been there since day one, with that said I have a purty darn good feel for real and unreal posters, posers, and imposters, take your pick of titles... I am also a mod on a couple other Buick musclecar sites.. we all allow a thread starter to delete his thread, but only in the first 12 hours of origin, otherwise it's game on for good.. if you put your foot in your mouth with a thread, then after 12 hours get some ketchup, cause your gonna eat your sneakers.. :yes: :shades:

mphatc
09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Carl, lighten up . .

fwiw I've been on internet forums of one form or another since the internet came about . in the early mid 1990's . . I've put my foot in my mouth many times and I will again . . :eek!:

I don't see anything on the original forum that indicates nastyness or any reason at all to shut it down. I can see why the moderators didn't do anything, there was no reason to.

You posted topic and didn't like the replies . . IMO running a boat like yours on that small lake . . if you were a shorefront owner you wouldn't like it either. Have you ever heard your own boat on that lake? Boats sound totally different from shore than from behind the steering wheel at speed!
I learned this with my Corsican when I let someone else drive the boat, all I wanted to do was see it at speed . .standing on the dock before I could even see the boat coming around the point, the intensity of the built 302 reverberating off the shorefront in the small cove on Winnipesaukee, approximatley the size of Lake Oakland was a bit too much, by A LOT!! It changed the way I operate my own boat in confined coves . .

You might also consider that on small lakes the shorefront owners have their own unique community, and when a non land owner invades and effects the environment it will piss off folks! It just like Donzi.net . . I'm sure you can recall see a post from a newbie that came across as a know it all . .

Be glad all you got was a polite letter!

Respectfully submitted,
Mario L.

gold-n-rod
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
If you post a topic here for discussion, and it doesn't really go the way you want it to should you post it on another boating site to see if you can get a better result there ?????

This feels a bit like a low blow to Carl. I frequent 3 sites (including this one) every day. I've met people f2f on all three. I consider many of the members as friends.

I frequently post the same post on all 3 sites. An example is my recent post about Craigslist and the future of the print media. I posted to multiple sites because I was interested in hearing a variety of opinions....... boat guys, car guys and truck guys.

I wasn't shopping for a better answer, just a larger sample size. In Carl's defense, I think that's where he was going. If anything, the responses from Speedwake show that the Donzi.net guys are more level headed and willing to compromise........ just like Carl.

Sweet little 16
09-27-2007, 08:32 PM
This feels a bit like a low blow to Carl. I frequent 3 sites (including this one) every day. I've met people f2f on all three. I consider many of the members as friends.
I frequently post the same post on all 3 sites. An example is my recent post about Craigslist and the future of the print media. I posted to multiple sites because I was interested in hearing a variety of opinions....... boat guys, car guys and truck guys.
I wasn't shopping for a better answer, just a larger sample size. In Carl's defense, I think that's where he was going. If anything, the responses from Speedwake show that the Donzi.net guys are more level headed and willing to compromise........ just like Carl.

yes people do that seek varying opinions and usually post on multiple sites within minutes of each other not 2 days later right after the original thread here was closed but this seems to be a re-occurring behavior with him

carl i'll get a life, if you get a grip :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

olredalert
09-27-2007, 11:28 PM
-----Dont worry,,,That wont happen........Bill S

Ranman
09-28-2007, 08:39 AM
and to think we've never even dated... you still refuse to answer any direct questions, so for your information AGAIN, read your OWN post again stating SOMEONE VANDALIZED YOUR TRUCK, which did NOT happen... for the record I agree with Red Dog's opinion.. also Carl, I am a moderator on one of the, if not the largest, muscle car sites around, www.V8buick.com, we have 16,967 members as of 15 minutes ago, I have been there since day one, with that said I have a purty darn good feel for real and unreal posters, posers, and imposters, take your pick of titles... I am also a mod on a couple other Buick musclecar sites.. we all allow a thread starter to delete his thread, but only in the first 12 hours of origin, otherwise it's game on for good.. if you put your foot in your mouth with a thread, then after 12 hours get some ketchup, cause your gonna eat your sneakers.. :yes: :shades:
Jim,
You're the one who needs to go back and re-read his original thread along with his replys.
He first said:
If the letter is a veiled threat though, I'd love to catch the person vandalizing my truck.
You clipped the last half of the sentence out of context and posted it as:

I'd love to catch the person vandalizing my truck.. Carl then went on to clarify for you saying:

That's not what I said. Sweet little 16 and I were discussing the possibility that this could be a veiled threat. I did not say that my truck was vandalized or that I want to confront the person.
Then you continue to badger him with:

so for your information AGAIN, read your OWN post again stating SOMEONE VANDALIZED YOUR TRUCK, which did NOT happen...
We're all very impressed that you're an "expert" moderator on the largest musclecar sites around, but some might think you could follow along a little better and keep some of the unconstructive and snide comments to yourself.

Ranman
09-28-2007, 08:42 AM
This entire thread is lame. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carl C
09-28-2007, 09:40 AM

This entire thread is lame. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thank you Randy and Randy. I appreciate that more than you know. I was hoping that I still had a few friends here.

Donziweasel
09-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Carl, you have a lot of friends here, me included. I think you impressed many members with your inginuity under the deck of your 22, me included. I didn't mean to upset you, just in a lot of pain right now with my back. Making me very moody. Hope you get your prop dialed in.

Carl C
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Carl, you have a lot of friends here, me included. I think you impressed many members with your inginuity under the deck of your 22, me included. I didn't mean to upset you, just in a lot of pain right now with my back. Making me very moody. Hope you get your prop dialed in. Thanks. I always thought you were a friend but was puzzled by your first response to this thread which should not even be here. I'm looking forward to getting the prop and getting it dialed in before the end of the season. I'll do that on a different lake though.:)

Cuda
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I posted on the speedwake thread, that the people who wanted to excaberate the problem were childish. Hell, they wanted to organize a meet there with the sole purpose of aggravating the residents even more.:confused:

As far as noise from boats, I live on a canal off the St John's River, and I can clearly hear a performance boat, or an airboat from my house, which is probably 3/4 of a mile from the river. Of course, it doesn't bother me, and they just go by, being how it's a river. They can't go in circles, and that's with a 30 mph speed limit on the river. It sounds like they are on the next block from me. I can see how it might irritate people who live on a small lake, it would probably even irritate me. I'm sure Carl will take the high road, and basically comply with their wishes.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?".

Cuda
09-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I think Rootsy said recently that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Rootsy left out the most important part. Everyone has one, and they all stink! :)

Ranman
09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Rootsy left out the most important part. Everyone has one, and they all stink! :)
Not if you use Sphincterine. :toiletpap:toiletpap
http://www.mintyass.com/

RedDog
09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Not if you use Sphincterine. :toiletpap:toiletpap
http://www.mintyass.com/

now that is priceless - and from the guy who introduced me to the L'il Sucker no less. That sure was a find - now on to Sphincterine!

Carl C
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Rootsy left out the most important part. Everyone has one, and they all stink! :) You beat me to it! Yeah the responses over there were all over the place but I think some were kidding around. I ran into some people who have boated on this lake there and that's cool. It's really a lot bigger site which is why I like this one better. That and the fact that I love Donzi Classics. If you read the thread you will also see that Lake Oakland has long been a Donzi lake. I'm certainly not the only performance boat there. And yes, Joe, I'll lay low awhile:). Enough said now I'm off to work.:(

roadtrip se
09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
After all of the debate, suck it up and take it is ahead by a 5-1 margin over post and spray all over the internet.

I'm starting to like this polling stuff... but keep voting. Thanks Boxy!