PDA

View Full Version : Closing Our Own Threads Poll...

roadtrip se
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Well it seems that one of our members has taken to closing down their own threads after they get in the final word.

Two that come to mind are help me with a Mercury "labbed" prop and somebody sent me a love letter through my window slot about running my Donzi on the local puddle.

I do have to admit that these threads have stirred up both positive and negative reactions. Frankly, I would have liked to have responded to the love letter thread, but never got the chance.

So what do you think?

RedDog
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I voted that the thread starter should be able to close it - out of mercy! Some times a thread gets so stupid you just have to kill it.

But dang, how did it happen? I had someone in the woods keeping an eye on that thread....

roadtrip se
09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I voted that the thread starter should be able to close it - out of mercy! Some times a thread gets so stupid you just have to kill it.
But dang, how did it happen? I had someone in the woods keeping an eye on that thread....

Sometimes, a good mercy killing puts us all out of our misery.

But think of the good, the bad, and the really, really ugly we could miss out on. For example, Randy's rabbit with a pancake on his head picture at the end of one of these endless and priceless gems that made me spit coke out all over my desk.

Mercy vs Misery and maybe a priceless nugget somewhere in the middle is what this comes down to really.

rustnrot
09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I'll admit I was confused before I voted. I expected the Love Letter thread to be gone, ..poofed.. not so, it is simply locked. I would like to amend my vote to allow the starter to eliminate it altogether. As far as Locking it, I am not sure I'd allow that by the starter.

Cuda
09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the thread starter should be able to close their own thread. If someone feels they didn't get a chance to respond on a thread, just start another thread. Problem solved.

Sweet little 16
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
the only useful reason i see for a user to lock or close a thread would be to make a statement that needs no response ie a thank you an important note or the like but when a thread is posted looking for further input and then it is closed is wrong also the starter should be able to delete it as well

f_inscreenname
09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Lock it, yes for many reasons. ie; thread just went stupid or got out of hand for some reason. Not just because it came to a conclusion. Sometime down the road a new question will come up that should be part of the thread. No reason to block it out.
As for deletion, never! You post it, live with it. This isn't a chat room. Thought is involved with a message board post's. It's normally not a sentence long blurb. It's a statement, good or bad. Again live with it.

MOP
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
My feeling is unless it is offensive it should stay up, controversy is not a good reason. Controversy many times brings out good facts and cuts through misguided BS.

mphatc
09-26-2007, 10:15 PM
We all say , state or write something that we regret . . and sometimes the crap flies and things get dirty . . nasty and sometime slanderous and non productive . . but in the end the players all show their true colors . and from this you'll decide who's right or wrong . .

The best forums IMO are well moderated, and the moderator makes the decisions . . ALL of them . . IMO, no one should be able to shut down a thread.

If someone want to remove a thread, or delete it, they need to convince the moderator . . Just because they might feel humiliated or are proven wrong is not a good reason to end or shut down a topic that other's follow.

I guess we all need to use "preview" before we click on "submit"

Mario

maddad
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't post much, here or any of the the other sites I haunt from the shadows, but heres my take on it.
This place is not the same as most. Other sites have Rules for Posting sections and moderators that are always ready to jump in and staighten some one or something out. This place is mostly policed by it's own members. If a member starts to spray a little BS, it's not long before someone lets them know to calm down a bit. Usually in a polite and direct way. For some reason it works here. Over the years, team Scott and a few others have made changes and improvements, but never decided to interfere with how the members here get on with one another. The choice to lock a thread or delete a post is up to the member, and what they do is part of their E-personality here. IMO, everyone should do exactly as they please, and live with the results.

Rootsy
09-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Only a moderator or administrator should close or delete a thread. The content posted becomes part of the site and therefore property of the site owner. Though a person may be able to delete posts they are still there and moderators can view the content, so don't think just because you had a jackass moment and deleted it that no one can see it.

A site needs good level headed impartial moderators. If a subject gets off course or heated, hopefully a moderator will happen along shortly to rectify the matter and put an end to the subject. Unfortunately their job is to act like parents when folks can't be adults or follow the rules. They are looking out for the best interest of the site not personal crusades or agendas.

Allowing for regular folks to partially moderate leaves the field open for public attacks of others, spamming, inappropriate content posting, etc etc etc to which there can be no rebuttle and the only way to get rid of it is by literally deleting the thread. But until that time it's a glaring eyesore.

I frequent some very strictly moderated sites and visiting here is more like hanging out at the pub for a brew with the buds.

MOP
09-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Seems pretty odd that the visual consensus is to let the poster handle his own posts by a great margin, yet the poll shows different. My opinion if you have input on the subject post it don't hide behind the poll buttons!

LKSD
09-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I think the thread starter should be able to close their own thread. If someone feels they didn't get a chance to respond on a thread, just start another thread. Problem solved.

I agree.. Jamie

LKSD
09-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Only a moderator or administrator should close or delete a thread. The content posted becomes part of the site and therefore property of the site owner. Though a person may be able to delete posts they are still there and moderators can view the content, so don't think just because you had a jackass moment and deleted it that no one can see it.
A site needs good level headed impartial moderators. If a subject gets off course or heated, hopefully a moderator will happen along shortly to rectify the matter and put an end to the subject. Unfortunately their job is to act like parents when folks can't be adults or follow the rules. They are looking out for the best interest of the site not personal crusades or agendas.
Allowing for regular folks to partially moderate leaves the field open for public attacks of others, spamming, inappropriate content posting, etc etc etc to which there can be no rebuttle and the only way to get rid of it is by literally deleting the thread. But until that time it's a glaring eyesore.
I frequent some very strictly moderated sites and visiting here is more like hanging out at the pub for a brew with the buds.

Good points.. :yes: J

BUIZILLA
09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
now, provided it's not a physical or violent threat topic, or incorporated thread...

what happened to a certain Constitutional Amendment regarding Freedom of Speech ??

roadtrip se
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
NOT being a moderator on this site than it was, trust me. The tongue stops bleeding after awhile and just gets sore.

Frankly, I don't think this site needs stronger moderators, but I lean towards letting a thread run it's course and falling to the bottom of the page.

This has been the way it has been since I joined a much smaller Donzi.net community back in 2000. And once in awhile, I have been the punching bag that got hit a thousand times over. I just sucked it up and took it realizing that sometimes you got to take it if you want to dish it out.

Carl C
09-27-2007, 10:49 AM
NOT being a moderator on this site than it was, trust me. The tongue stops bleeding after awhile and just gets sore.
Frankly, I don't think this site needs stronger moderators, but I lean towards letting a thread run it's course and falling to the bottom of the page.
This has been the way it has been since I joined a much smaller Donzi.net community back in 2000. And once in awhile, I have been the punching bag that got hit a thousand times over. I just sucked it up and took it realizing that sometimes you got to take it if you want to dish it out. Hi Todd, I guess I need to finally chime in. I just hope I don't regret it! We used to be able to delete a whole thread by deleting the first post but that seems to have changed when some folks got mad and left and decided to take their threads with them. Now when a thread has run it's course or turned ugly the only option is to lock it down. The note thread was only going to go downhill from where I ended it. Is that the kind of thing you want to read here? I don't. It served its purpose, lets move on. People used to remark how this site was different because we all got along. Maybe we need to remember that. I really hope you respond in a positive way. Remember, that glass is half full! I don't want to revisit the note thing on this thread. Can we please let that go here? You want to talk boating? Let's talk boating! :boat::):yes:

roadtrip se
09-27-2007, 11:47 AM
let the poll speak for its self, as the consensus of the members here. This is why I put the poll up to start with.

Right now, it says 2-1, that you should let a thread run its course or allow a moderator to make the call.

Pretty simple.

roadtrip se
09-27-2007, 01:34 PM
the hanging chads!

:bawling::rolleyes::bawling::biggrin:

Carl C
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
I feel better knowing that papa bear is on the scene and I cast my vote. Maybe folks should see the thread that started this discussion because I think if they read toward the end they may agree with me that it got ugly, had run it's course and the board was better off with out it! http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50608 The prop thread is back open so this is the only thread I closed and I did it to keep the peace. I posted this thread here and on Speedwake more to spark discussion rather than seeking advice. Keep smiling:)

Tim Morris
09-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Randy's rabbit with a pancake on his head picture at the end of one of these endless and priceless gems that made me spit coke out all over my desk.

Absolutely spot on! Cocktail hour with the neighbours, Cindy brought it
up again - about how she didn't get it when I showed it to her back then.

Damned if I could get the smile off my face for the hundreth time.

Ranman
09-27-2007, 05:12 PM
A couple of quick opinions:

If I start the thread, I should be able to close it or delete it.

Not being able to delete my own threads is news to me here. I understand some people took advantage of that feature and pulled down some very good information due to unfortunate reasons. While I think that those that took their threads down made a mistake and I'm sad the info is gone, it was their right to do at the time. Now many good individuals will miss that valuable info due to the disagreement of a few.

If the site has decided in response to those events that what I write becomes their intellectual property as soon as I hit submit and will not allow me to control my topics, I am concerned. That will undoubtedly have additional negative effects on how people share their information here. Oh well, things change and evolve all the time, so you just gotta roll with it.

roadtrip se
09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, it's still about 2 to 1 in favor of living with it or letting a moderator decide.

Dang chads.