PDA

View Full Version : 1969 18 foot Barrel Back

Donzi Racer
09-26-2007, 02:07 PM
We have played enough and are ready to part with this wonderful Donzi Classic. Although she was probably built in 1968, she was not titled until 1969 for the 1st time. What we know about the boat is it was originally from the Mobile Alabama area. It is what we call a SLEEPER, because it looks relatively stock from the top side and in the water, but when you see the back end and the engine compartment, WOW, you know something is different. It has a very unusual set up with an extremely built from bare block up 302 cu. in. motor which was shaved .60 over and had a extensive amount of inside motor build up with the best of all racing parts to complete, including finishing w/Holley carb. One of the most unusual things is the new Bravo outdrive hooked to a 302 Ford engine. I am embarrassed to say what the builder of the motor said it has as far as horsepower but lets just say way over 400. We have added K-planes & single ram hydraulic steering. It has updated interior, new transom with fresh gel and the top side has just been redone with imron. The hull gell is original, and is still in great shape. Gas tank replaced. I now realize what can go into a restoration of one of these little jewels and this one has had well over $40,000 invested in the restoration. Some of the pics are before the steering and K-planes went on. It does come with a matching trailer we are updating. This wonderful SLEEPER is now 99% finished, we are just finishing the wiring and the setting up the K-planes and the steering to be done.we have that being done this week We did take the cap off the boat to do the top. The engine compartment has been painted to look fresh. As far as price range, I understand as I have read in other post we will never get close to getting back what went into it but we would like to ask $17,500 for this wonderful ole 18. That is pretty much finished out and ready. We would definitely be willing to talk with anyone that has a trade opportunity. We are really hoping to find a nice Minx for more day to day use here in Titusville Florida. For any questions, please email me at donziracer32@aol.com[/email] or call at 256-777-0844. Thanks, Tom

Donzi Racer
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I got the pics up all by myself. There is a first time for just about anything.
Also the boat is in Titusville Florida. Tom

chappy
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Tom,

Very unique, beautiful boat. Very intrigued by the motor/drive combo. What kind of numbers are you seeing with it?

Good luck,

Rich

Donzi Racer
09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Tom,
Very unique, beautiful boat. Very intrigued by the motor/drive combo. What kind of numbers are you seeing with it?
Good luck,
Rich Chappy, we up to this point have not been able to keep it in the water. That is the reason for the K-planes and the Hydraulic steering. Have not had it in the water since they went on. It should be a bit more stable now. It is going to be quick. I expect if we get it dialed in right, somewhere in the upper 60's, maybe low to mid 70's. It is a beast, not much that scares me in a boat, except when I saw Geoo put a dang parachute on before he went out for a real run once in his X-18,like his, this one definitely gets and keeps your attention. It is not your average stock donzi. 1st time I got more than I asked for. With the other 6 donzi's we have owned, I always wanted more power, more power!!! Not with this one! You ask questions like where is the Kill Switch in this antique? haha When we first got it, it had a traditional classic sterring on it with a bolt and nut holding the steering cable on. Well let me tell you, when it jiggled a bit you would go from one side of the river to the oposite side. WEEEEEEE! Thanks for the interest, Tom

mphatc
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Tom,

I'd like to see some images of how the Ford and the Bravo are mated . . :wink:

My Corsican has the same combination . . my first 302 delivered 333 HP and with the Bravo this was good for the mid 60s. The second 302 put out a lot more and was good for something closer to 70 . . but I never felt that the boat was unmanagable. Possibly this is from the round bottom of the later hull than the earlier barrelback's sharp vee? I'm now building the 3rd 302 which should be good for over 400 HP . . :)

So I'm realy curious about the handling and performance . . can you elaborate on the boats ability to fly . vs swim:confused::)

Thank you and good luck!! Your boat looks great!

Mario

TREYSTJOHN
09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Please excuse this post in 4-sale, but

The VEE 18's above 65mph are very very sensitive to rear weight. Remember, they were designed for 302's with Eaton outdrives. My first 1966 with a built 350 LT1 w/ cast exhaust/ Volvo E-Drive Speedmaster could not be driven above 65 without major steering input and chine walking. Once we put aluminum exhaust on, removed circulating pump and reduced rear weight by about 100lbs boat went 78.6 and you could drive it with one hand. Based on your pictures, I would suggest gettting (4-6) 25lb bags of lead shot (put them in the area forward of the bulkhead in front of the ski locker and trying them one at a time until boat runs flat with about 1-2.5 degrees of positive trim. This will help determine how much weight you need to lose from the engine drive area. The weight of the K-planes and associated pumps is probably going to add to your handling problems. You will find that with the proper rear weight, the boot stripe in the rear will only be about 1-3" below water line. I'll bet you probably about 6" with your current setup.

Hope this helps.

mphatc
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Treystjohn,

Excellent expalantion, thank you, helps me to better undertand the performance of the two hulls.

Adding the Bravo to my Corsican lowered my boat in the water only about an 1"- 1 1/2" with no further additions. It originally had a Volvo 250 drive.
Now I'm about to add CMI SS headers and closed loop cooling with Aluminum heads. I figure the CMI's and the heads balance each other off, but the cooling system will add weight :frown:

Tom,
Did you set the Bravo up to run left hand rotation? This was the reason I went with the Bravo, LH Alpha's are difficult to find.

Mario

Donzi Racer
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
The VEE 18's above 65mph are very very sensitive to rear weight. Remember, they were designed for 302's with Eaton outdrives. My first 1966 with a built 350 LT1 w/ cast exhaust/ Volvo E-Drive Speedmaster could not be driven above 65 without major steering input and chine walking. Once we put aluminum exhaust on, removed circulating pump and reduced rear weight by about 100lbs boat went 78.6 and you could drive it with one hand. Based on your pictures, I would suggest gettting (4-6) 25lb bags of lead shot (put them in the area forward of the bulkhead in front of the ski locker and trying them one at a time until boat runs flat with about 1-2.5 degrees of positive trim. This will help determine how much weight you need to lose from the engine drive area. The weight of the K-planes and associated pumps is probably going to add to your handling problems. You will find that with the proper rear weight, the boot stripe in the rear will only be about 1-3" below water line. I'll bet you probably about 6" with your current setup.
Hope this helps.
Well I believe with my big rearend in the seat that may take care of the bags of whatever needed in the front. haha Then when a skinny guy gets in it watch out, it won't handle worth a fildleydee. haha I am trying to remember the last time I went out in the beast. It runs down on 1 side when trimmed all the way down and the bow sits to much in the water so it wanted to grab the strakes and go with them. I believe it is left hand turn but will know by tomorrow. A little trim and she evens up side to side and a bit more trim, things get a lighter in the ass end. Come off the trim a bit and give it some more throttle and she wants to go go go but when she gets to about 60 to 65, and please understand that is by the seat of the pants speed, cause I am not looking at any guages, haha, she starts chine walking and it is much more better to get off it now. A lot of throttle left though. When all these things are going on I was the first person to take the boat out since it was completed with the bravo and engine build. It just felt like it did not have enough boat in the water. And the steering was a joke with a steering cable hooked to a bolt and a loose nut. I never said I was real smart, just keep my guardian angels working overtime. It was all over the river. Yeee Hiii! Now with the hydraulic steering and the k-planes we were hoping to cure most or all of the problems and hope it would have more control with the planes and the outdrive would at least stay straight with the fresh steering. Might see this weekend since it will be the 1st time splashed since all the new work has been done. There is already aluminum exhaust for a little less weight but you are right about all we have added. They are working tonight to finish her up, so hopefully we will see. We have not even thought about dialing her in yet with props yet. I put it on the FOR SALE section in case I fell back in love with her over the weekend so I would have to let her go. Rose wants to go back to a more moderate, I can't believe I just said that, more moderate minx or sweet 16. I know that is not all the questions but you see how I ramble! More later, Tom

Donzi Racer
09-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help. Will try that. We had the K-planes hooked up, the Hydraulic steering installed and the all the finishing touches done this last week and dropped a small bundle but got it running and splashed the boat at the Homecoming in Sarasota this weekend. Believe it or not it was 3:00 AM when we got over to the hyatt and were so excited we went ahead and put the boat in the water at 3:15 AM. Can you say CRAZY? She fired right up and sounds wonderful. We start idleing out the channel and we only have right steering. That is extremelyu fun at 3 in the morning. haha Well when we remembered to trim the drive down we had straight and right turn. Who needs left turning? Well the big k-planes came in handy as we went the 1/4 mile using them to turn it left. My Pappa always said, neccessity was the mother of invention. Well at 3 in the morning you will come up with any way you can to get where you are going. haha Well we got it docked at the hyatt and fooled around saturday & sunday a little to not much avail. We will be returning to the guys that set it up to finish it up. they were so great to get it as ready as they did. When you turn it to the right it does fine and then turn back to the left it is immediate but when you get to straight, that is far as she goes. Keep turning the wheel and not much more. Somebody though air in the lines. Any other suggestions?
It has a cleaver prop on it now and I believe it is picking up the rear. I want to try your suggestiona and place some weight up front. It is definitely more back heavy now. Lots of torque, but with only turning 1 way, we did not get too froggy.
Last but not least, we got some good pics to picture a true SLEEPER. Adding a few more pics from the event to show what looks so stock and turns out to be much much more. We had another $2500 worth of work done this week and she is just about 99% done now. I decided I should have listed this thing as a FREE DONZI, just pay for the add ons, like $10k for the bravo, 5k for the K-Planes, 3.5k for the steering,2.5k for interior & Oh yea the built engine. I think I would be ahead of the game that way. Hopefully will be 100% next week and then off to the RACES and we can start propping it out. FUN FUN FUN coming this week. Tom

Donzi Racer
10-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Just an update on some info from research. This Barrel Back was started at the factory on march 28th 1968. It looks like it was sent to Leech Lake Minnesota. The hull # is 217 and originally came with a 225 hp Holman Moody setup. That horsepower rating helps with the insurance. Hmmmm? We did do the backwards thing on the asking price compared to most, we raised it a bit. Just wanted to mention we just spent $2500 in the last few days to finish the Barrel Back up so we did raise the asking price a thousand to $17,500. Still a bargain for one that has well over $50k in it. Also anybody that knows where an original 289 holman moody set-up with or without the volvo outdrive is, would be appreciated. Would like a H/M set-up to keep with the boat. Will listen to any trade ideas. Tom

Donzi Racer
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
We listed the Barrel Back on ebay tonight. Not the best time of the year for it, but offering it at a bargain. We will see. It is ebay item #130167290461 under Donzi. Not quite sure how to put the link in this post but if anyone can, we would appreciate it. Remember we will entertain possible trades. hint hint, Thorn! Thanks, Tom

chappy
10-26-2007, 06:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-DONZI-Barrel-Back-Truly-One-of-a-Kind_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ003QQite mZ130167290461QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Good luck with the sale.
Rich

Donzi Racer
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Hope this helps.
Give me a call if you get a chance, got the info you wanted and cannot find your phone #. Thanks, Tom 256-777-0844

Donzi Racer
11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
We listed the Barrel Back on ebay. Not the best time of the year for it, but offering it at a bargain. We will see. It is ebay item under Donzi. Remember we will entertain possible Donzi trades. Thanks, Tom
Bumpy de Bump

Donzi Racer
12-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Putting up a new Auction before Holidays! Getting serious about letting it go! Put it in your stocking, will help with shipping or delivery options. I just know someone that has a nice Donzi Minx needs or wants a nice Playtoy for the new season. T

Donzi Racer
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Putting up a new Auction before Holidays! Getting serious about letting it go! Put it in your stocking, will help with shipping or delivery options. I just know someone that has a nice Donzi Minx needs or wants a nice Playtoy for the new season. T

We listed a new ebay auction tonight for the 1968 barrel back. We listed it with No Reserve, starting price 14,800 which is what it ended at the last time we ran it on ebay, and a BUY IT NOW price of $17,500 which is well over $30,000 under what has been spent on this wonderful piece of Donzi History! Definitely a great deal for a 40 year old classic with well over $50,000 spent on it. Very nice. Please Email or phone any questions to 256-777-0844 or mishunaire@aol.com Thanks for looking & will entertain most all possible trades, especially Donzi's! Tom
PS the link to the new auction should be http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...184174604&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130184174604&rd=1)

Donzi Racer
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM
We listed a new ebay auction tonight for the 1968 barrel back. We listed it with No Reserve, starting price 14,800 which is what it ended at the last time we ran it on ebay, and a BUY IT NOW price of $17,500 which is well over $30,000 under what has been spent on this wonderful piece of Donzi History! Definitely a great deal for a 40 year old classic with well over $50,000 spent on it. Very nice. Please Email or phone any questions to 256-777-0844 or mishunaire@aol.com Thanks for looking & will entertain most all possible trades, especially Donzi's! Tom
PS the link to the new auction should be http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...184174604&rd=1

Well like Jim and his LE Classic 18, I will be sad to see it go, but our 1968 Barrel Back SOLD today on ebay. Somebody got a Deal of a Lifetime. Thanks to everyone that helped. Will someone send me the name & address to send a donation to the registry? Tom
:wink: