PDA

View Full Version : So, would you have fallen for this?

gold-n-rod
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I purchased from eBay, a never used set of tires for one of the vehicles in the home fleet. They are Uniroyal Royal Seals, with the stickers attached and every single tit still attached. Even the blue coating remained on the sidewalls and white letters. I got a great deal.

So today, I took them to Discount Tire to have them mounted. The writer took one look at them and said, "Uh-Oh, we can't mount these, they're almost 10 years old!" He went on to tell me how the tire manufacturers now recommend that any tire, regardless of tread remaining, be replaced at 6 years, even if they aren't showing ANY sign of dry rot or other outward signs of deterioration. He was telling me that the rubber dries out, gets hard and is a real safety hazzard.

I could tell he was just waiting for me to inquire about new tires. Instead, I thanked him for his time and went to look for another tire store. Less than a block away, I came across another store, a Goodyear store. They happily removed my old tires, mounted and balanced the "new" Uniroyals and sent me on my way for under $60.

So, do you believe this line or am I really putting my family's life at risk by driving on "new" old tires?

BUIZILLA
09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I can tell you that in the RV industry, tires are a huge issue, just cruise any of the boards that pertain to RV's, multiple daily posts.... 5-6 years and throw them away is the norm... actually you can trade them in at big truck tire dealers for a credit when you flip new shoes on... if the tires were shrink wrapped they should be fine, if they were left in open ozones, the chance for rubber deterioration accelerates rapidly

catch 22
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Randy, I spoke to my dad and he said that is correct. There is a date on the tire when it is manufactured. There is a code on them. My folks had a tire store for 25 years and he said they very well could be that old and he would not run them on any of his vehicles.

mrfixxall
09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
keep a eye on them if they start to seperate then i would change them..

MOP
09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
The first guy could well be full of crap, email the serial numbers to Uniroyal and get the real age! I agree with 5-6 years as the safety life of a good tire.

Phil

Carl C
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Interesting thread. The front tires on my '82 Mustang GT are over 10 years old and seem OK. It's garage kept and not driven much. Sunlight deteriorates tires but do they degrade with proper storage? Hmmmmm. And our in house tire expert is out trotting around the world. I'm going to hold off voting but I think your tires will be OK, Randy.:crossfing:

Craig S
09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
I went to Discount a couple weeks ago with a "slow leak" tire on the Century Arabian. When I went to pick it up, they resealed it on the rim and told me it was 17 years old and warned me. And didn't charge me, even though those tires weren't bought at Discount.

In the mid-late 90's, I've taken in hi-end tires that had a puncture, bought at their place, and they refused to repair because the wear bar was showing - or too close to it. They were Yokohama AVS Intermediates I was running on my daily driver big block '67 Ranchero (rationale? if things went bad in Houston traffic, I figured I could use all the help I could get. The low treadwear number can be a godsend). I went off on them with the argument that type of tire would be lots better than their new cheapies, and they unofficially fixed the tire.

I like dealing with Discount Tire

BTW, when you change tires on a motorcycle, you can really tell when the old ones are a few years old. And sun doesn't have anything to do with it - at least where I keep my bikes.

Stevo440
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I better keep an eye on the tires on my 87 Buick Grand National, the tires are the original Goodyear GT radials from 87 w/15k miles on them. They look great but they are definitely allot slicker/slipperier then they were when new. They definitely are alot easier to spin when the turbo comes on and between 1st and 2nd. I'd definitely not want to drive in the rain with them. But its 100% original right down to the air in the tires.
I also agree on the keepin them outta the sun and outside air, and keep tire dressing on them (100% pure silicon). Thats just on the side walls that does all the flexing ofcourse.....

MOP
09-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Since tires can harden and crack with age, you should steer clear of old tires and buy the freshest ones available. Here's how to tell: Every tire carries a U.S. Dept. of Transportation serial number on the sidewall (EX: DOT M6 RV T1HR 499). The last 3 digits are a date code indicating the week and year the tire was made. (EX: the 49th week of 1999).
Tire date codes (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11)

Thanks Scott good info!

Forrest
09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Old radial automotive tires are a problem. The following web site has information on problems with radial tires over six years old:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm

Always buy fresh tires.

realbold
09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I bought my old Lincoln in '92, the rear tires are the same ones that were on it then, they only need air maybe once a year. I'll replace them when they wear out. I've put about 40,000 miles on them since then.

VetteLT193
09-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I agree the average person should buy 'new' tires, but if you maintain a tire you should really never have a problem.

Craig S
09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree the average person should buy 'new' tires, but if you maintain a tire you should really never have a problem.

when cleaning my "old 3" trailer tires this weekend, I noticed the inside was cracked on at least a couple. This is a trailer that has been stored indoors since the tires were made...and I don't think they've been run low. Cheap tires, but I'm not sure how you'd maintain them differently. It wasn't a sun factor. I'm forced to replacing them today to attend a boat show in a couple weeks.

....admittedly, I don't know how deep the cracks are.

ChromeGorilla
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes tires DO have a shelf life. The various rubbers used in the tires can change/deteriorate over time.

One thing that can be done to prolong your tires is to use Nitrogen instead of plain air. Besides your tires holding pressure MUCH longer, it's actually better for the rubber in the tire. The rubber on the inside of the tire "oxidizes" for lack of a better term..... this deterioration doesn't happen to N2 filled tires......

Both my vehichles and the boat trailer have N2.:yes:

Gearhead99
09-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Tire life is around 6 years. Sure you're always going to hear about the 10+ year old tire that runs great and never has a problem. That's not the norm though. Is it worth the chance??

I see way too many seperated tires here in Sunny Florida that are on the car that the family got from Grandma or Grandpop. Usually a Buick. Car is 10 years old, 15,000 miles or so. Look great. Grand kid starts to drive it and then the tires start coming apart, one at a time.

Not worth the chance on a trailer tire. Towing your pride and joy Donzi at highway speed, or above, and having a blow out like the one on MadPoddles reply.

When you are looking for cracking. Also, look in the tread. Down between the tread you'll see cracking LONG before you see it on the side walls.

Craig S
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I talked with the Discount guys when picking up my new trailer tires on Friday, and they told me the "hard and fast rule" is 10 years. No tire repair, no nothing. Apparently 6 years is more subjective to them. Blamed it on the Firestone/Explorer issues.

gold-n-rod
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow, almost 100 year old tires come with this Olds!!!!!!!!!!!

Easily makes it worth + $400K ! :eek!:

:confused: