PDA

View Full Version : Sun Pad on a Classic

p729lws
09-25-2007, 04:35 PM
My 18 and 22 both came w/ sun pads for the engine hatch but I've never seen a photo of a classic w/ the pad mounted. Are the pads common? Are they considered akin to having a bimini? :eek!:

Dan

Carl C
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Are they considered akin to having a bimini? :eek!:
Dan IMO YES! Your boats came with them?? I've never seen one on a Classic and hope I never do. Again, strictly my opinion. If you want to put one on for your wife or girl feel free, it's your boat.

Sweet little 16
09-25-2007, 07:42 PM
well considering the 16 18 and 22 are not the only "classic donzi" the HornetII the spitfire and the spirit all came with options for pads on the engine hatch the hornetII actually had a low railing too around the hatch if it makes your boat more pleasurable go ahead

RedDog
09-25-2007, 08:45 PM
You missed a category -
my classic did not come with one but I wish I had one - I vote "yes." Might not use it all of the time but it would be nice some of the time

Cuda
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Check out Budman's "Maxipad".

royalbcat
09-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I always thought that if you could build one with the right curvature to match the deck & make it flush like the stock hatch w/the stripe it might look ok.

osur866
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I always thought that if you could build one with the right curvature to match the deck & make it flush like the stock hatch w/the stripe it might look ok.
What Royalbcat said, if done right yes, if not NO!

Barry Eller
09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
My 18 and 22 both came w/ sun pads for the engine hatch but I've never seen a photo of a classic w/ the pad mounted. Are the pads common? Are they considered akin to having a bimini? :eek!:
Dan

Easy, leave bimini's out of this...:wink:

Your sunpad would "blow off" anyway!

Your dog, Birdie, likes my bimini!

p729lws
09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Easy, leave bimini's out of this...:wink:
Your sunpad would "blow off" anyway!
Your dog, Birdie, likes my bimini!

Did I say Bimini?:cool:

p729lws
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm suprised at the results of the poll. I thought they were a standard feature. My 22 actually came w/ two of them. All of them have a cut out for the hatch latch and apear to be custom made for the size of the hatch. I'll shoot some photos soon...

Dan

Barry Eller
09-27-2007, 05:34 AM
The Hornet II that I tried to buy last winter had a hatch pad. Here is a photo of that boat that I took in the 80's. I have coveted this boat a long time. Then and now.

Cuda
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
A sunpad is the only thing I can think of that looks worse on a 22 C, than a bimini.:eek!:

Tony
09-28-2007, 12:44 PM
This is a tough one, since I envision the usefulness of a sunpad. It certainly expands your lounging/partying area...but, at what expense?

It's kind of like a fixed swim platform on a classic...although it would be practical, I have yet to see one that isn't godawful fugly!

royalbcat
09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Yep. I have had 3 Classics so the ZR is my first Donzi w/platform, ladder & sunpad. They definitely make the boat more user friendly for a day out on the water but, nothing beats the looks of the hard deck on the back of a Classic:cool: I always thought about trying to do a flush pad on the last 22 but never got motivated enough. The 2+3 has a scoop to clear the blower so it's not really an option.

Cuda
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
The sunpad may make a boat more versatile, but if someone wants a versatile boat, Searay makes a ton of them with biminis, sunpads, more storage space, et al. But if you want a Donzi Classic, there is no better looking boat in that size range.

yeller
09-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I can't agree with the usefulness of a sunpad on a classic. The curved surface makes it uncomfortable to lie on. When I built my 16, the mold for the engine hatch was missing, so I had to custom make my own. I padded the hatch and although I really liked the look (on my boat), it wasn't very useful. An oversized maxi-pad strapped on top would look like crap.

VetteLT193
09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I can't agree with the usefulness of a sunpad on a classic. The curved surface makes it uncomfortable to lie on. When I built my 16, the mold for the engine hatch was missing, so I had to custom make my own. I padded the hatch and although I really liked the look (on my boat), it wasn't very useful. An oversized maxi-pad strapped on top would look like crap.

I agree, the curve of the hatch would negate the usefulness.

It would probably look and work better on a Minx, but I'm not volunteering mine as a tester :wink:

TBroccoli
09-29-2007, 04:27 PM
A guy with an 86 special edition 22 classic has sun pad that looks geat. You can't even tell its a pad till you are up close. It is very thin but works as a nice platform to sit or lay on. He had it specially made. His first name is Roulf. He is a regular at the Jackson Marine Thunder on the bay poker Runs. Stephanie at Jackson could probably get you in touch with him.

Cuda
09-30-2007, 06:36 PM
You can see Buddy's in this picture at Dead River Vic's.

Tony
09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
A sunpad that ever made its way onto the aftdeck of my 22' would have the following features:

* 1" thin foam, some fuller density stuff, contoured to the hatch
* same material as interior, w/ the stripe of course!
* straps that go under/thru the hatch and therefore be invisible

I'm not in love with the idea but, if done right, the advantages would seem to outweigh the disadvantages. Remember its easily removable so you wouldn't have to use it every time out, just the outings with a "boatful" of people. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Stan
10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Guys,
When I bought my 22 classic it had the following sun pad already installed. I don’t think it interferes with the great lines of the boat and is really a pleasure to have on those hot and sunny day.
I am a avid Donzi user ( this is my 3rd Donzi) but hey, you gotta move a little with the times !
Stan....:cool!:

Barry Eller
10-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Guys,
When I bought my 22 classic it had the following sun pad already installed. I don’t think it interferes with the great lines of the boat and is really a pleasure to have on those hot and sunny day.
I am a avid Donzi user ( this is my 3rd Donzi) but hey, you gotta move a little with the times !

Bimini sighting!:wink:

(I have a Bimini too!) My wife is blond and pink skinned. Her skinny legs and knees would like the padding too.:confused:

VetteLT193
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
It's hard enough to keep the seats in the boat, I honestly don't know how that sun pad stays on:wink:

p729lws
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
It's hard enough to keep the seats in the boat, I honestly don't know how that sun pad stays on:wink:

No kidding! I think my two have straps that come back underneith the hatch. I wouldn't think the strap would fit between the hull and the hatch though. I should have mine dug out of the garage this weekend:crossfing:

Dan

p729lws
10-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Found this on the early 22 thread.

p729lws
10-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Well I dug out the sun pads today. Each have 4 straps that snap onto the underside of the hatch. I'm pretty sure the one on my 18 was the same. If anyone has an interset in one let me know.
Dan

Cuda
10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Guys,
I have to respectfully disagree. In my eyes, nothing can enhance the lines of a 22 Classic, anything else can only detract. Just my humble opinion.

I feel the same way about 16's and 18's also. Just perfect boats.

p729lws
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. In my eyes, nothing can enhance the lines of a 22 Classic, anything else can only detract. Just my humble opinion.
I feel the same way about 16's and 18's also. Just perfect boats.

Yep, great boats! We need 28 Classics and 32 classics to bridge the gap to the 38 ZRC.

Dan

McGary911
10-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Once I get to using my boat again, I'd like to try to make a sunpad that would continue the stripe (of course) but only be used when not moving. It will fold in half from front to back, which will make it easy to store under the deck. I think that's the best solution for me.

p729lws
10-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Once I get to using my boat again, I'd like to try to make a sunpad that would continue the stripe (of course) but only be used when not moving. It will fold in half from front to back, which will make it easy to store under the deck. I think that's the best solution for me.

That sounds like a game plan:cool: It might have to fold in three sections. Mine are the same size as the hatch.

Dan

TBroccoli
10-16-2007, 12:30 PM
What is the purpose of the sun pad? Is it there for a soft comfortable resting area or is it used to protect the hatch? The cover I saw on Rolf's boat is very thin. You cannot tell its there until you are right on it. He stated it is mainly there to protect the hatch when swimmers climb back into the boat using the outdrive.

Tony
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
What is the purpose of the sun pad?

I'd say their primary purpose is comfort for lounging, with a secondary purpose of safer footing.
A sun-pad would have been handy on the day we took the pictures below!

Lenny
10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
My GT-21 came with one and it was waaaayyy cool. I still hear Deneen say to me, "I wish we had that boat still" :rolleyes:

p729lws
10-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I just measured my pads and they are right at 2" thick.

Dan

Ghost
11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Just pondering this. Given the limited space/length of the motorbox and the curve, why not keep a couple of roll-up closed-cell-foam camping mats on board and then use the bow as a sunpad? Or build a Carl'sBadCabin with a pad you can pull out and put on up on the bow as a sunpad? The bow just seems like such a roomier spot. And you can use the windshield for a headrest. And no aesthetic concerns at all.

FWIW.

HOWARD O
11-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Carl'sBadCabin

:lol9:

That was REALLY clever, Mike!

Greg Guimond
11-04-2010, 07:31 AM
A sunpad for a 22 Classic? Would require a creative mind, but there is no doubt that a 2 or 3 section pad could be fabricated so that it could live most of its life inside the engine bay, then come out on an as needed basis. You would carry the same color scheme the boat had and when it was installed I think it would look very presentable. I would not vote for a permanent one, but would vote an emphatic yes for a "hidden" one for occasional use. There are only a few shops in the country that could execute properly and I would say it would be $4k-$5k all in.

h20loo
11-04-2010, 07:38 AM
K= what? Hopefully not 000.

Tony
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Several years ago Dan graciously gave me a 22' classic sunpad, one of the ones he pictured earlier in this thread. I restored the vinyl and re-foamed it...and have found it to be very practical.

Here are a couple threads describing mine. Finished product pics are in the second link:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51803&highlight=sunpad

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54302&highlight=sunpad

In my case I've got about $100 into it.
Mostly for the "DriFast" foam, and a little bit for the vinyl paint.

Greg Guimond
11-04-2010, 08:21 AM
That would be $4,000 to $5,000 done the right way. Done poorly and looking bad the price would be $400-$500.

Carl C
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Just pondering this. Given the limited space/length of the motorbox and the curve, why not keep a couple of roll-up closed-cell-foam camping mats on board and then use the bow as a sunpad? Or build a Carl'sBadCabin with a pad you can pull out and put on up on the bow as a sunpad? The bow just seems like such a roomier spot. And you can use the windshield for a headrest. And no aesthetic concerns at all.

FWIW.

hey................ :lifeprese:

Just carry some beach towels to lay on. I usually lounge on the back seat.

oledawg
11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
After seeing the various pictures on this thread, I have to vote "no" on sun pads for Classics. Loses that lean and mean look that makes this boat so great. It is of course an individual choice, and I do have both sun pads and a bimini on my Correct Craft, but no way on my 22C :wink:

Ghost
11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Re: CarlsBad Cabins

I think most have heard me talk about these before, but for any who may have tuned in recently...

I'm a big fan of the custom 22 cabin, and the "Bad" is like Richard Pryor (I think) said. "Not 'bad' 'bad' but 'bad' baaaaaad.'" Like Bada$$. And of course, the play on words with the famous caverns.

Carl C
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Re: CarlsBad Cabins

I think most have heard me talk about these before, but for any who may have tuned in recently...

I'm a big fan of the custom 22 cabin, and the "Bad" is like Richard Pryor (I think) said. "Not 'bad' 'bad' but 'bad' baaaaaad.'" Like Bada$$. And of course, the play on words with the famous caverns.

I figured you meant well. It's hard to call it a "cabin" but it sure does open up a lot of wasted space and keeps the gear out of the cockpit. Lots of space to store towels to lay on! Just no fatties on the deck!

Tony
11-04-2010, 11:18 AM
After seeing the various pictures on this thread, I have to vote "no" on sun pads for Classics. Loses that lean and mean look that makes this boat so great. It is of course an individual choice, and I do have both sun pads and a bimini on my Correct Craft, but no way on my 22C :wink:

Another pic...

joseph m. hahnl
11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
well considering the 16 18 and 22 are not the only "classic donzi" the HornetII the spitfire and the spirit all came with options for pads on the engine hatch the hornetII actually had a low railing too around the hatch if it makes your boat more pleasurable go ahead

"Hornet II the Spitfire and the Spirit"

Classic yes:yes: Classic series, NO:lookaroun:

Classic series are the 16, 18,and every version of the 22 and the Minx 20

This Minx doesn't have a sun pad. Never did, never will:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6H4elKWrmg

Tony
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
That would be $4,000 to $5,000 done the right way. Done poorly and looking bad the price would be $400-$500.

I am no upholsterer, but I'm having a hard time imagining a sunpad costing this much money. Can't you get an entire back seat built for $1k or $1.5k?

This is just a guess...but I'm saying $100 for foam and another $300-500 for vinyl. Unless you've got some elaborate differences between "done right" and "done poorly", I just can't see a sunpad costing four grand.

Greg Guimond
11-05-2010, 09:04 PM
E$
L$
A$
B$
O$
R$
A$
T$
E$

I have been accused of "over" designing in the past LOL

Planetwarmer
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
A sun pad would be more useful on the bow. You would have to be 4 feet tall to use a sun pad on the stern.

joseph m. hahnl
11-06-2010, 07:06 AM
A sun pad would be more useful on the bow. You would have to be 4 feet tall to use a sun pad on the stern.

Yes: it would be great, until a boat wake knocks you off into the
water.:shocking:

ANGUS
11-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Tell me I am not the only one who has spent many afternoons on a pair of rubber backed "bathroom" area rugs that match the center stripe comfortably stretched out on the bow with my head on the windshield enjoying a cold beer or two with my wife! You are missing it if you haven't, the rubber backing holds it's position even on a well waxed deck....and any spilled beer runs right over the side!

Carl C
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
spilled beer runs right over the side!
Alcohol Abuse!

Ghost
11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Alcohol Abuse!

Yes, but at least the sacrifice was for a good cause. :lookaroun:

GBond
09-23-2011, 08:49 PM
If you think you need a 'Sun Pad' on a classic? You've bought the wrong boat. :biggrin:

RockyS18
09-24-2011, 07:21 AM
^^+1

I'm not surprised that I don't have a sunpad for my 009... Sitting on that hatch would be VERY uncomfortable. :bonk:

Carl C
09-24-2011, 08:48 AM
I usually lounge on the back seat but have beach towels (yellow of course) that can be used to lay on the boat.