PDA

View Full Version : First weekend hunting, got my Antelope....

Donziweasel
09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
We hunted all weekend with mixed results. Got close to a nice buck, would have scored 290 or so, but could not get a shot. Saturday, went out in my 6 wheel Pinzgauer and got my first Antelope ever. Good 350 yard shot. Learned not to use Elk rounds on a 120 pound lope, did some major damage.

The pinnacle of the weekend was my buddy drove his 1991 Bronco into Fish Creek. The water was over the front seats and engine completely submerged. Took a warn 8000 pound winch and my 6 wheel Pinz to get him out. Been working on it ever since, changing all the fluids, etc.... Computer was under water for 24 hours and we just got the fuel pump working. Had it fired on ether last night.

On the way out, I did see 4 cows and one bull elk. We had some snow in the higher elevations and I am looking forward to going agian for the weekend on Thursday. Will try and post some pics later, but I hurt my back and am having to take it easy.

DonCig
09-26-2007, 09:01 AM
140 grain, or better yet, a good Nosler Partition style 120 grain will serve you in the future. I love Antelope meat; but you have to cut off all of the viscera when you butcher the animal. One day I will show you pictures of my 650 yard shot. Held 2 feet high and 2 feet in front, had a little wind blowing. Normally I would never take this kind of shot; but I was prone on the ground with a spotter and complete visibility to locate the animal if not a clean shot.

Fall is here.

Don

Carl C
09-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Congrats. I assume you used the trusty 30.06? :fire: On the Bronco, don't forget about the seats and carpet (if any). Seats should be removed and covers taken off and carpet removed to dry. Change all fluids and get it running ASAP and it should be OK.

Donziweasel
09-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Carl, yeah it was the .30-06 with a full 165 grain bearclaw. Too much bullet. It was my first one, so I caped it and am going to have a mount made.

The Bronco is running, took all week. Water in the fuel, engine, all the diffs, tranny, transfer case, etc.... Alternator was done, had to replace. Had to replace th efuel filters 4 times. Seems to be running fine, but going to change the oil one more time. Left running with the windows slightly cracked and heat on full blast to try and dry out the interior.

I had an accident and screwed up my back. Haven't even been able to hardly walk all week. Got an epidural shot yesterday and feel a little better. I will probably go into hunting camp for the weekend, but might just lay around camp and not hunt, depends on my back. Beats sitting on the couch. Bad timing for this to happen. Elk season is open and will be until the end of Oct. so I have time to heal and try and get my elk.