PDA

View Full Version : The future of classified advertising........

gold-n-rod
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I've seen the future. If I was the publisher of a local newspaper, a weekly shopper or the free auto weeklies like Auto Trader, I'd be afraid, very afraid. :eek!:

I just sold a winter beater. My marketing venue????? Craigslist!!! Cost to advertise? FREE. It got the buyer and seller together. I could have easily spent $200 using the aformentioned venues.

Just another example of how the internet is changing everything. I've used the internet to find my Donzi and eBay to buy all my boat accessories, 3 sets of tires, etc., etc., etc.

I've seen the future...... and the print media ain't it!!!!!!!

Thanks again, Craigslist!

MOP
09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
You are 100% right, about 2 years back I tracked my sales leads very carefully for 18 months. I figured the dollars earned off print media against the dollars spent and ditched every last bit of it. I network with quite a few fellow brokers, very few use it anymore.

Phil

Formula Jr
09-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't recall buying a local paper for about five years, and haven't advertised in one for seven..

I would agree that print media advertising is completely outdated except as a vector to lead someone to a web site that they otherwise wouldn't see on a google search.

Graigs list does have its problems though. Its search functions suck. And there is no filter to keep kids from putting up bogus ads and dropping your honest ad off the top page. Since its free, there is also the problem of it being over whelmed by items being listed higher than they are retail or much higher than any serious person would list a used item for. At least that is what I'm seeing on the Portland, Seattle, and Eugene Graigs Lists.
Its kinda of a price creep since the ad is free. Some kind of filter for posting would be nice just to cull out the people that are not being serious.

And never put you legacy e-mail address directly in a Graigs List ad.....

Objective News Papers are in a world of hurt.
They have to compete now, not only with TV news and Radio, but with amateur journalists on the web. By the time these News Papers can fact check, the story has already spun hopelessly out of control.

I would hate to see these older Print Based News Organizations de-constructed due to lack of funding from with in. They have the apparatus and the discipline and the willingness to finally get stories right, but by then the electronic news cycle has already moved on and left its trail of bad reporting all over the internet, like a wet muddy dog that just walked all over your white carpet.

gcarter
09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
We've been in retail business for 20 years here in Central Florida. When we first started doing serious advertising in newspapers we could easily track sales leads and the days the ads came out.
About five years ago we started seeing a decline in response to newspapers we started investing more in radio. The internet, while ever more popular, isn't our main thrust because we only cover a three county territory. Anyway Kinetico Inc. has a very extensive site. Besides, 70% of our customer base is retirees and a good percentage of those don't use computers.
We've now reached the point at which we're advertising about 20% in print compared to just three years ago.
Something else that isn't working as well is direct mail. This year we've been advertising extensively w/two direct mail companies similar to Advo. That's been a total waste of money.

Marlin275
09-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I found my X-18 on the web.
I rent out an apartment in Brooklyn and Craigs List is it!
I used to advertise in the Village Voice and New York Times, not anymore!
All the brokers use Craigs List.

It does bring in a younger audience.
The computer thing is a problem with older people.

VetteLT193
09-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Drew Curtis (of Fark.com) has a book out. He talks a lot about print media and how they are going to have to find a new source of revenue really quick or they will be a thing of the past.

Carl C
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
You can find a lot more than cars on Craigslist:eek!::eek!:! I bought my Donzi on the 'puter too. Direct from the dealer. Did it all with 'puter, phone and fax and got a brand new 22C delivered to my door from Pier 57!:computer:

smbarcelow
09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I found my Ski Sporter on Craigslist. I called on it 10 minutes after it posted.:wink:

DonziChris
09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Found my 1993 18 on craigslist