PDA

View Full Version : Latham ext. hydraulic steering question...?

Jamesbon
09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
...was crawling around this evening under the dash of the 22C in anticipation of installing a Latham twin ram set-up before "Sota." What I found will probably hold me off till "Sota's" over.

My question;
The stock "Bravo cable/hydraulic assist" helm set is mounted through a 3 1/2" hole through my dash panel. The bolt circle of the Latham helm is 3 1/2' too, so there's basically nothing for the studs/blind nuts to grab. Do you have to fill this hole and cut out for the smaller Latham extension or is there some other solution? (I know one can buy a "trim ring..." )

A couple pics to clarify my ramblings...

...Oh yeah, save the wise cracks about my broken down "1982" tape measure ;)

gcarter
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
This is no big deal. There are a number of steering alternatives that require trim plates, if for no other reason than to clean up the appearance of the dash or cover up unused holes.

MOP
09-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Nate what I have done in the past is to make a plates up front & back out of either 1/4" S/S or aluminum. S/S is a bit of a pain to drill, shape, finish and polish but when done looks super. Aluminum is a ton easier to work with and can be powder coated your choice! I made the plates large enough to be able to use 4 3/8" S/S carriage bolts to fasten it to the dash, polished carriage plates/bolts give a very finished look. Working the outer plates edge down to look similar the contour of the bolt heads takes time but is more then worth it.

Phil

VetteLT193
09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I think my brother got his from latham. Excuse the mess, the boat just came out of the shop and towed 200 miles.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31854&d=1190818186

smoothie
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
What you have pictured is the helm control pump,,,you need to buy the dashboard kit that goes with it,,,they come in different sizes,,,the one I have tilts...

rr1048
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I installed a Latham dual-ram system on my 20' Cigarette that I pulled parts from everywhere to make it work. I got a deal of the rams and drive plate and had to buy everything else. The dash opening was a little large and I purchased a dash bezel from IMCO/NV and had it powder coated black. I purchased a helm post, helm, and fittings from Hydraulic Supply. (great prices) I was somewhat limited with helm post options because I wanted a 3/4" tapered shaft for my steering wheel hub. I ended up buying a hub extension after I got everything set-up and used it a few times because I wanted a driving position that allowed me to sit back in the seat without reaching and still operate the foot pedal. With extension options and quick release extensions you can dial in the driving position perfectly.
The best part of the bezel from IMCO is that it allows you to use recessed allen headed screws to snug up the helm post and helm. I needed to do some shimming with washer behind the dash. It is a great setup and well worth the effort.

yeller
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Jamesbon, I pondered the same question only a few weeks ago. The dash hole diameter on mine is the same as the spacing to the center of the helm bolts (which looks like yours are). On mine, when the steering column is in place, the base has about 1/2" of metal to dash contact all the way around. I notched dash hole for the bolts and used some big ass washers on the front side. I then bolted the stock Teleflex column back in place. This hid my ugly washers and retained a relatively stock appearance. I made a plate out of plastic for the topside of the Teleflex column that fits tight to the helms column and cover the stock holes.

I hope this makes sense. I can't find my camera to take pics.

Jamesbon
09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the extra input. This helps.

I have decided to remove the old helm and have my glass guy fill and gel the hole completely, then re-cut for the latham 6" extension, then use the correct Latham trim ring. This way it'll look like a "factory" set- up. Clean and simple.

I'd still like to see more pics if anyone has'em.

RickSE
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Here's my Latham helm. I can take a picture of the back if you want. I believe I have some type of an aluminum adapter between the dash plate and helm, but it may be a stock Latham piece.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22777&d=1154734237

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22773&d=1154734170