PDA

View Full Version : Prop shootout at BigGrizzly's Part 2/A day on the water w/BG and props

Stevo440
09-23-2007, 12:36 PM
ROUND 2
-
Well yesterday I took my boat over to Lake Lanier to spend the day at BigGrizzly's AGAIN testing props. Well it was 85 degs and approx 70% humidity, altitude is 1063' ASL, the water conditions were approx 3-4" chop wind around 5mph. To set the scene my boat is a 2001 22 classic w/454 Mag mpi w/bravo 1 100% factory stock. We tested 3 props bein that Randy sent the other props off to others on this board for them to play with.
We tested again for base line my favorite prop, Turbo 1, out of the three that I have (Mirage+ 14.625 x 23p 3 blade, Turbo 2+2 14.25 x 24p 4 blade, Turbo 1 14.25 x 25p 3 blade).
-
The Turbo 1 14.25 x 25p x 3 blade this time went
-----3000rpm----44mph
-----3500rpm----50mph
-----4000rpm----56mph
-----4500rpm----60mph
MAX 4700rpm----67.7mph vs 64.8 in first test
-
-
The Turbo 2+2 14.25 x 24p x 4 blade went
-----3000rpm----38mph
-----3500rpm----44.7mph
-----4000rpm----53mph
-----4500rpm----58mph
MAX 5000rpm----65.8mph
-
-
The Mirage Plus 14.625 x 23p x 3 blade went
-----3000rpm----40.9mph
-----3500rpm----46mph
-----4000rpm----53mph
-----4500rpm----56mph
MAX 5100rpm----68mph
-
Well the M+ and Turbo 1 are really close 68 to 67.7mph and 400rpm's difference well it looks like a Turbo 1 24P will be needed to test and the Turbo TXP would have been nice to test again to see the mph it would have attained on this day of testing, but that will have to wait for ROUND 3
-
The info below was from the first testing, the Turbo 1 this time was 2.9mph faster so day to day testing has a big variance, the weight in the boat was the same but the temps, humidity and water conditions were the variables, the temps the first time out were in the low 90's, humidity in the 30-40 range and water conditions were calm and flat no chop at all. We only did top speed logging the first time. The other props from the first test were not available to test this time. Oh well next time.....
-
Winner Round 2----Mirage plus 68mph followed by Turbo 1 67.7mph a really close one this time.
Winner Round 1----Turbo TXP 67.9 by a long shot.
-
ROUND 1
Base line Turbo 1 14.25 x 25p x 3 blade-- I can only spin to 46-4700 rpm with indicated (speedo) speed of 70mph which turns out to be GPS speed of 64.8mph.
-
Turbo TXP 14.75 x 25p x 3 blade-- 46-4700 rpm with GPS speed of 67.9mph
Turbo OSI 14.50 x 23p x 4 blade-- 46-4700 rpm with GPS speed of 65.7mph
Turbo OSII 15.00 x 24p x 3 blade- 46-4700 rpm with GPS speed of 65.4mph
Turbo Fusion 14.50 x 24p x 4 blade-- 4500 rpm with GPS speed of 62.2mph
-
Well as you can see the rpm's are all around 46-4700 with all the tested props except the Fusion which the motor could not swing.
I gained mph with all the other props from .6 to 3.1.
-
So 3.1 mph gain for just a prop change and all props were stock from the factory NO LABBING.
Testing is not done yet we are going to try some more props to bring the engine rpm's up to 4900-5000 to see if there is any more speed to be found.
-
Winner Round One TXP 67.9mph by along shot....

Steve

PS Thanks Again Randy

PSS And thanks for the ride in the Critter, Loud, smooth (except for that first jump) and different than the 22 ride.....

BigGrizzly
09-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Steve means the Corsican, the critter is in the garage sick at the moment.

Stevo440
09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Woops me bad. I'm still a learnin all the older Donzi models(boats that is). Ok I won't make that boo boo again. Either way I still had a great day, with my new friend on the lake/water.....

Steve

Carl C
09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll be shipping the Turbo M 24 tomorrow. Keep us posted how it does. I wonder what the M means.

Stevo440
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm lost what Turbo M. Did the M+ above the Turbo 1 blend together? That's all I can see unless I missed somethin......

Carl C
09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm lost what Turbo M. Did the M+ above the Turbo 1 blend together? That's all I can see unless I missed somethin...... I shipped the prop this morning. Total was $14 w/insurance. I owe you a couple of brewskis. They said you would get it Wednesday. The etching on the prop says "Precision Propeller Turbo M 14 1/4 x 24". I checked back and I left the "M" off my for sale post. I hope that isn't significant. :confused: Let me know if there is any problem, don't stop payment on the check. I'm easy to get along with. I taped edging on the blades to keep it in the box. You'll probably have to use mineral spirits to clean off the glue residue. I hope it works well for you. I ran it on my boat and hit the rev limiter around 65 mph.:propeller:

Chrish
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Steve means the Corsican, the critter is in the garage sick at the moment.

Several nice velvet drives on ebay right now.

justleft
09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Besides pure top speed how did the differnet props handle ?

Any stop watch times to speed ?

Stevo440
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Well to answer your question about handling, I can only comment on the three props of mine, the Mirage plus 23p, the Turbo 1 25p and the Turbo 2+2 24p. The testing has been basically to run the props at various rpms to get speed readings and Max speed with each prop. To get info on handling I would have to spend a good part of the day with each prop and at this point alls we did was install prop then run boat up to each rpm, log speeds then remove prop and start all over again on undisturbed waters.
-
The M+ was the prop that came with the boat and I never really liked it. It porpoised alot and was very sensitive to trim. At high to top speed it was very scarey feeling, it chinewalked alot when trimed out/aired out and any sort of water disturbance/wakes/anything other then flat conditions it did not feel safe, to me or anyone else on the boat. No-one including myself liked it.
-
The next prop I acquired was the Turbo 1 it changed the boat more then words can explain. Myself and everyone else could not beleive it was the same boat, go figure, but that is the truth. It rode smoother over wakes from other boats, it porpoised alot less and was controlable with trim, high to top speed felt much safer and controllable, 0 chinewalking/NONE. Surprise wakes did not scare the XXXX out of ya. The cruising speeds were better than the M+ but the M+ was 23p vs Turbo 1's 25p. Top speeds were within (.3mph) of each other. AND the big plus is everyone enjoys the boat SOOOOOO much better, again myself included..
-
The last prop I acquired was the Turbo 2+2 24p well it makes the boat pound alot in normal cruising, the choppier/rougher it gets the harder it rides and the more it pounds. It definitely does not like trim, with trim you get porpoising, with any trim at lower speeds. It pulls good from midrange to top end but can't keep up top speed wise with the other two props. BUT I WILL SAY THIS, you can go FULL THROTTLE in rougher conditions and it really feels stable and safe. That's where it shines but the speed is a few mph slower see earlier posting for speeds.
-
So in my experiences "sofar" to date and I've owned the boat for 4 seasons the Turbo 1 is my favorite to date.
Once Randy(BigGrizzly) and I finish testing more props I will narrow down the feild and try props on the boat for their handling, on the lake with the rest of the boats around to report on that.
-
Randy deals in Turbo props and the M+ is the only non Turbo prop we've tested to date, so I personally have no info on Bravo 1's or any other Mercury props and no info on Hydromotive props ETC.
I hope that helps to answer your question?
-
PS I did'nt use the TRIM TABS at all in these tests and don't really use them at all, EXCEPT when wake boarding and tubing.......
-
PSS No stop watch testing to speeds, I don't beat my outdrive/lower unit, I roll into the throttle as I gain speed, I'm cheap and don't wanna buy outdrives/lowerunits sorry.....
-
Thanks for tunin in
Steve