PDA

View Full Version : Why do boaters winterize early?

fasttrucker
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Up here in Maryland boaters winterize right after labor-day.Iam from fla and dont understand it.I use my donzi till nov.Fall boating is fun on the right day,depending on the weather.Mick who has a hot 26 warlock put his boat away last week! Iam going out in about 2hrs its 85 degrees out.:confused:

chappy
09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Irrational fears about temps below 40 at night, is something I've heard on occasion.

Rich

gcarter
09-22-2007, 12:44 PM
What is "winterizing"????:wink::wink:
Does it mean adding a few sweaters to your collection of life vests??
Or does it mean you don't have to take ice along for your beverages??
Or just simply getting mentally adjusted to a more comfortable time of the year to boat?

realbold
09-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Fair weather boaters, in for Memorial day, out after Labor day. I dont get it either but it makes for better fall boating with half the traffic. We still have upper 70's-80's here now and I never winterized till November.

Carl C
09-22-2007, 05:27 PM
They are the part time boaters who let the calender dictate their boating season instead of the weather. I winterize around Halloween.:) Whoops, that sounds just like Realbold's answer but it's true. I was out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Temps are in the 80s. Sorry about all that rain in Florida!

gcarter
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry about all that rain in Florida!

Carl, if you're responsible, we'll take all you can send us. :):boat::lightning

Carl C
09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
OK, I'll send more. No 'canes though.

Sweet little 16
09-23-2007, 08:02 AM
everyone that I know that pulls the plug early their calendar absolutely rules their boating season, all of them have the summer off and are on their boats every hour of every day from Memorial day to Labor day either school teachers, or guys with all the seniority to take the summers off it's not that they are part time boaters they put a ton of hours on their boats it is just time to give up the boat for the giants/jet/army tickets. another factor is who winterizes them if they have someone else do the work sometimes they are at the mercy of someone else's schedule all the guys at the marinas love to shrink wrap and winterize boats in late nov and dec. our season usually goes into the end of oct with a few fall poker runs and fun runs with the I/O's but we try and keep the OB til damndest lasts as it is easier to winterize/summerize

f_inscreenname
09-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I am usually the last one on the water. Fall is my favorite time of year so I wouldn't waste a moment of it. Hopefully this time next year I will have the proper garage (with enough heat) to keep the boat ready year round.:yes: