PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Adventures.....

ChromeGorilla
09-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Well.... two weeks behind schedule we're leaving Galveston,TX today and begin our voyage to India. We'll be just off Miami in 6 days.

I'll start taking pictures today and post them tonight. Every place we visit on the way to India I'll take some pictures and keep this thread goin.

gcarter
09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Good luck Scott. That's a long trip in a not particularly fast ship. I guess it's good that they're paying you well. Do you know how long the projected trip is???? Are you still going to be on rotation during this transit?
BTW, HallJ (Jeff) has been to India w/his work.

Team Jefe
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Well.... we're leaving Galveston,TX today .

And no call at all, I am 23 miles from Port Industrial Blvd.:smash:

Good Luck in the Near West...or is that the Far East...who knows, Even Columbus had it wrong:lookaroun:

ChromeGorilla
09-24-2007, 01:02 AM
I wish I had time to get out some while I was there. We have been balls to the wall getting ready for this project..... I am pooped out.

George, yes it's a long voyage. Because we stayed in port a lil long we actually found out today that we will rotate at our normal date. So instead of steaming all the way to India, I will get off the vessel in Port Said, Egypt to come home. Port Said is the begining of the Suez canal.... a lil bummed I won't transit the canal.... but I get to come home to Michelle....which beats the hell out of the suez...:yes:

It was a hot and beautifull day when we left TX.....

ChromeGorilla
09-24-2007, 01:11 AM
A few more pics.

gcarter
09-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Good luck on and enjoy your trip to Egypt.
I enjoyed your pics of Galveston. When I was a teenager and had the money Galveston was one of my favorite places to go on dates. Sometimes we'd park the car on the Galveston side and ride the Boliver ferry back and forth across the roads. Gee, I hadn't thought of that in a long time. Later on while working at Shuller and Allen Navel Architects, one of our projects was to jumboize the ferries. I became very familiar with them. Another time while w/S&A I drove to Galveston daily from the South side of Houston to do as-built drawing corrections on a 650' long catamaran tug/barge combination. It took a whole year. Needless to say I became very familiar with the restaurants and the day to day shipping in the port.
Good memories.

Team Jefe
09-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Galveston Habor, Seawolf Park, Crew Boats headed offshore, the Pilot Boat Texas....except for the vertical vantage point, those pics could have been taken on Jefe's Revenge on one of a thousand occasions.

Notice the 3rd pic of the second group, that is a sunken concrete ship....great fishing structure and you can see the refinery where I work in the background.

Carl C
09-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Keep the pics coming. It's always fun to see the boats and marinas in different parts of the world. And have a safe and fun trip.:boat:

vonkamp
09-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the pic's Scott! Keep em coming. Also, stay away from the Egyption rum, it's some nasty stuff! :yes::puke:

TBroccoli
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
You're not missing much in the Suez Canal. Sand to the Port. Sand to the Sarboard. Oh look, more sand. Wait look, an old tank. Another tank. There's a building. It has holes in it. Look more sand. Have fun.

tiger lily
09-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Crew Boats headed offshore,
yay crew boat rides....boooo :mad:

CG, i posted a thread awhile back, the Express was doing some work at the ATP Innovator platform back in july, were you on it? they also brought out the db50 barge/crane for a huge lift, i was out there for about 2 weeks, crew boat ride in the express offloaded tons of gear onto the crew boat we were on

ChromeGorilla
09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Yea...I was onboard during July...:yes:

ChromeGorilla
09-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Yea.... I was on the Express the entire month of July. So you were right here...

Crewboat?!?!?!?!? Whats that? :tongue:

I am fortunate enough to not have to ride crew boats..... chopper in and chopper out for me....:yes: everytime.

Hey TL.... I just went back and searched for the thread you mentioned..... I just plain never saw the thread....sorry I missed it.

ChromeGorilla
09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Well.... after finding some Cubans loating about in the middle of the night last night, here we sit about 1.5 miles due east of Government Cut waiting for a crew boat..... so close yet so far away..... man.....wish we were pulling in for a few days.....:boggled:

Hey wait... I think I see Poodles house.... :wink:

ChromeGorilla
10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
No problem MP. We were on station till about 7PM on Saturday. Wind was picking up something awfull all day.

So as we transit across the Atlantic I have come to realize something.....

I DEFINATELY prefer being under the water than on top of it! :yes::puke:

5 straight days of 5 meter seas....:mad:

It finally died down today to a bearable level.

next stop.....Spain

need for speed
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Very cool!!! keep up on those pics!!