PDA

View Full Version : Re-doing oil system. Questions on filter location/brackets/lines/etc.

zimm17
09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm totally re-doing my oil system. The new 3x18 oil cooler is mounted to the rear of the engine using bellhousing brackets.

My 1996 oil filter bracket is currently Jerry rigged to the front of my exhaust manifold (it's spaced out 2" for the dana marine exhaust). Now's the time to move it.

I read this thread about oil systems: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106633&highlight=oil+pressure+problems+stock
and it has me thinking about a high flow block adaptor for the filter.

Another idea- Can/should I use a sandwich adaptor and put the filter back up to the stock location under the engine? I don't know if it'll fit.

My oil cooler has 1/2NPT threads- what kind of fitting should I use? I was thinking of 5/8" push loc hose and fittings.

CP performance makes a high dollar $122 block adaptor with side fittings that will route better if I need to move the oil filter. http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=5742

I'm also going to check my oil bypasses in the filter pad and remove the center one if it's there. I also read I should pull the stock one which is probably an 11# spring and put in a 30# bypass spring.

I have no idea where to mount the oil filter bracket- The rear of my engine is clobbered with stuff. And the stock location makes it really hard to get into the bilge on the passenger side.

Any suggestions?

gcarter
09-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I like the looks of the CP block adapter w/the 3/4" pipe threads. I'll keep that in mind.
As you noted, there are some high flow filter brackets, I would mount one of those on the port side of the transom.
If you can find an Aeroquip dealer in your area, they'll be very helpful in making up hoses for you. Buy some 3/4" male pipe to -8 inverted flare fittings from them, also some hose ends (they're available in straight, 45*, and 90* ells) and mock up some hoses using something cheap like air or water hose. This will let you try several locations for the various components.
For instance, on the Minx, I had the cooler on the inside of the port stringer, and the (double) filter bracket on the port side of the transom. I knew this was about the area I wanted them in, so then I mocked up the hoses (I was using -6) using air hose and just pushed the fitting barbs into the air hose. Then when I had everything cut and oriented the way I wanted it, I removed the mockups and took them to the Aeroquip dealer where they duplicated my mockups in stainless braid.
I'm sure you get the idea...just use your imagination.

MOP
09-22-2007, 11:08 AM
When I installed the Gils I moved the filter to the transom, was a great move as now I hold a milk jug under it to do a drip less change. I used the Merc bracket but made up two small angles to a fix it to the transom. The pics are before I pulled the stock mill out back in 04.

Phil

zimm17
09-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks, I'm going to do the same. I have a dana marine oil filter bracket and an Eddie marine block adaptor on the way. It's supposed to flow a lot more oil and gets rid of the inverted flare fittings.

gcarter
09-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks, I'm going to do the same. I have a dana marine oil filter bracket and an Eddie marine block adaptor on the way. It's supposed to flow a lot more oil and gets rid of the inverted flare fittings.
Uhhhhh........if you get rid of the inverted flare fittings, how do you put it together?
It's kind of like putting unions in a plumbing system. You have to have a swivel somewhere. Also the formed hose ends (90* and 45* ells) allow you to do much neater installations.
Just trying to help.

zimm17
09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm going with 1/2NPT to AN fittings, then radius bend AN-12 fittings and areoquip AQP socketless push on hose. It's cloth braided and good 300 degrees. It'll cost about $300 for all the hose and fittings though...

http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html

gcarter
09-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm going with 1/2NPT to AN fittings, then radius bend AN-12 fittings and areoquip AQP socketless push on hose. It's cloth braided and good 300 degrees. It'll cost about $300 for all the hose and fittings though...
http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html
That's what I used....only w/the SST braid and nickel plated fittings listed. I was surprised how little extra the SST hose cost.

BigGrizzly
09-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Zim, I did the 1/2 to an10 fittings and it is more than enough. Racers supply has billet adapters for $50+ and thermostat controlled bypasses, which I have but haven't installed yet. My oil filter is bolted to the the back of the port cylinder head. I need to install the thermostat control because I have 14 quart oil pan.
Over kill i know, but it came with the block. Good luck and hope to see you at Cumberland.