PDA

View Full Version : 22zx trimming

brwn234
09-22-2007, 12:57 AM
How do you guys trim your boat out? I'm having trouble getting the boat to ride smoothly. Once I start getting around 50mph I get alot of porpoising. I'm still a little leary of spinning, so I think maybe I'm trimming it out too much in my attempt to avoid the infamous "Spin Out" My boat has a trim limiter, on the trim guage it stops between a little less than half way up. Where do you usually cruise with you trim set? What a newby, huh? Oh yeah everything is stock, including the prop.

mikev
09-22-2007, 07:50 AM
trim it back in till you stop porposing and achive the smoothest ride and best speed. the spinout issue will only happen when you trim it in for a turn like you normaly do on a non stepped hull boat. so just trim it till it rides good and dont touch the trim when you turn is what i understand. i dont have a stepped hull boat yet but have been reading up on it in all the posts here because i have been thinking about upgrading to a newer boat.

BigGrizzly
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
If you have tabs don't use them. Remember, trim until it stops then trim back out to attain speed this takes time until you fine the best spot, this varies with load

Sweet little 16
09-22-2007, 09:35 AM
50 mph seems kind of fast for porpoising usually it happens in the lower on plane speeds everything that has been said so far is true we know it is a stepped zx what stock setup do you have 350 bravo 454 bravo 502 bravo and what prop, which btw is probably the most important item to address porpoising

brwn234
09-22-2007, 08:38 PM
7.4 MPI, Bravo I, Bravo I 4 blade 24P prop. I still think I'm trimming it out too much. Going out on Thursday and will mess around some more, should be a slow day on the water. I'll be going out on the Potomac river south of DC. Anybody else boat around here?

DJ13
09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I have the same setup in a '99 22ZX. Set your tabs all the way up and learn to drive it with the outdrive trim only. Just a tap or two is usually all it takes to stop the porpoising. It takes a little bit to figure it out. BTW I've had mine since 2002 and never once spinned it out.

dave